Do fish really shed barbless hooks?

davedave

I can second that Budgie, I still do things 'the wrong way' but I now I just recognise that I've buggered up again. Things like clutch settings etc make all the difference.

Renrag

I agree.

Nice to know that there are anglers out there that show an interest for the welfare of the fish though.Not just a 'missed opportunity'.

I would also suggest using suitable terminal tackle if fishing a water that holds carp.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, yeh maybe i'll forget about the hook length next time, i reckon i could have got him in on 4lb mainline, it was the 2lb hook length that really did it. thanks again

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

thanks, yeh maybe i'll forget about the hook length next time, i reckon i could have got him in on 4lb mainline, it was the 2lb hook length that really did it. thanks again

Always best to use a hook length, I never fish for any species with out one and would never even consider it if Carp are in a water. Which is every water these days :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

why? Im not being rude, im just curious, although it gives better presentation surely it weakens the whole rig? Im probably wrong i just thought it would be the opposite when carp are about, thought it would be better just to have the mainline to the hook??

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

why? Im not being rude, im just curious, although it gives better presentation surely it weakens the whole rig? Im probably wrong i just thought it would be the opposite when carp are about, thought it would be better just to have the mainline to the hook??

Its all about fish safety davedave and also protecting your pocket. If you have a weaker hooklength it will break before your mainline leaving your lead or float etc on the mainline for you to retrieve. Hooks cost much less than weights etc. Also in terms of fish safety you dont leave a load of line attached to the fish which can tangle round the fish or tether it to a snag. As well as the obvious you are also forced to think about using a balanced setup to protect the weaker hooklength which will result in less snaps anyway.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The usual thinking is that if you do get broken you will only leave a hooklength in the fish and not possibly several yards of mainline which in theory being the same breaking strain all the way through to the hook, (if you don't use a hooklength) could break anywhere.

In practice if fishing straight through the weakest part is likely to be the knot at the hook, or where shot or legers are attached.

I never use a hooklength and don't remember ever losing vast quantities of line on a fish, I don't lose very many mind!

It all depends on the target fish or water but I often fish straight through especially when trotting. I actually find it much safer for the fish and far less fish are left trailing line....infact in all honesty I've never left a hook in a fish yet.

yehh i always thought hook lengths were for better presentation and not to strengthen the rig in any way but i might be wrong? And yeh this is the third hook ive left in a fish, i hate it but sometimes it really cant be avoided. all three were barbless though and were on a well fished lake so i like to think they either shedded them or were re-caught soonish and had the hook removed. You never know though do you :(

It all depends on the target fish or water but I often fish straight through especially when trotting. I actually find it much safer for the fish and far less fish are left trailing line....infact in all honesty I've never left a hook in a fish yet.

20-25 years ago when i first started barbel fishing on my local river, most anglers still fished with light gear for chub, dace............ Half the barbel i caught had other hooks in them. I once took 5 (no barbless) inc my own out of a barbel about 8lb. Can't say Ive ever seen any evidence that it did them any harm.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I always try to use a weaker hook link than the main line simply so if I get snagged and have to pull for a break Im only loosing/leaving behind a hook and very short length of line. Remember if you want to use a 4lb hook length then just use a heavier main line!

Lighter line gives better presentation and therefore often more bites but of course you need to weigh this up as its no good hooking fish if you cant land them or being able to land them if you dont get the bites in the first place! However this once again is simple common sense because you only need fine tackle to improve presentation of small baits (that unfortunately appeal and are take able by all sizes and species) but if you are targetting bigger fish with bigger baits then you dont need the finer presentation (a lump of luncheon meat or a boilie for example isn't going to gain any benefit from a small hook/light line) so you can use heavier tackle.See it kind of sorts its self out doesn't it!

However when your targetting small species/fishing for what ever comes along the fine is best and if a bigger fish than expected comes along you just have to accept that it will take longer and a lot more care to land.And as Ive said they can be and regularly are by match anglers.However if your unfortunate and the hook straightens or you screw up and the line goes then you simply have to accept this.

Its daft to even consider that you must tackle up with say carp tackle just because there are carp in the water when your roach fishing but just as stupid to carry on using "roach gear" if you are hooking carp all the time! Balance and common sense.

Wouldn't have to have even wrote this a few years ago but now these days "fishing" to most means "carp fishing"!

Dave if your fishing a commercial where its all/mainly carp and your losing them due to line breaking then simply use a higher BS line! Within reason it wont greatly affect your amount of bites but will improve your landing ratio! But just accept you may not catch as many other species.

If your fishing a mainly silver fish venue and want to use 4lb line (unless in the height of the summer) then simply accept you will get very few bites! if any at all! Don't take my word for it try it and see!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!