If you could fish for only one species of fish?

tiddlertamer

My choice would be barbel all day long. A truly stunning looking fish and power unmatched by any other stillwater species in the uk. I never tire of catching them.

I caught my second Barbel ever recently. And although small, this little Barbel put up a fight equal to the 4lb Mirror that came before it. This is from a stillwater also, I imagine in running waters they would be stronger.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1281...p;id=1580673497

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I love my Coarse fishing my choice would be for wild Brown Trout; not only are they one of the most beautiful fish you will find, they fight hard and you can fish for them throughout the British Isles from Cornwall to Stornaway.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I caught my second Barbel ever recently. And although small, this little Barbel put up a fight equal to the 4lb Mirror that came before it. This is from a stillwater also, I imagine in running waters they would be stronger.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1281...p;id=1580673497

I have caught them in both still and running and they do seem to me to be far stronger in a current but then of course the current helps them if they go with it. I had a 7lber in a still water that just seems like a very strong carp but then when I moved onto fishing rivers they went like freight trains. The larger ones can certainly have you fearing a snap off quite often. It takes some good skill and concentration to land them on lighter tackle. I had a 9lb+ one on the centrepin (the topic is on here somewhere. Something like 'first pinned barble') and on 6lb line and a 18 hook i was bricking it as it lunged around the river. Best fight I have ever had though. I will never forget that one.

p.s. my avatar pic is the one i caught

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

That is very hard and i would have to say carp as they are what i fish for most these days. Mind you i don't fish for them in the winter so can i make a plea for a summer fish and a winter fish and have chub as a reserve.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I would find it very difficult to decide between roach and chub......... but then perch and tench, come into mind.........I also like trotting for barbel and grayling. So difficult to decide, but I think it would have to be roach. No, chub. No, definitely roach. (But I'll probably say something different in a weeks time :D ).

Now if you had asked my least favourite, that would be much easier to answer. B)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I thought some on this board might go for pike. Surely Britain's most savage coarse fish. Any takers?

I think the Pike's "savagery" is grossly exaggerated and I think the description does them no service at all :(

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Much as I love my Coarse fishing my choice would be for wild Brown Trout; not only are they one of the most beautiful fish you will find, they fight hard and you can fish for them throughout the British Isles from Cornwall to Stornaway.

Tony

totally down with this. i'm a course fisherman and i can see the beauty and elegance of fluff chucking and water flogging, but trotting for trout is as good as it gets for me. if you love all those fish that are too brave to to realise how small they are, roach, dace etc... then you've got to try fishing for some 'spotty 'erberts'

don't be fooled by the hype either, dry fly fishing is a thing of beauty but trout will take a worm on any given day and trotting for them is no pushover, you need all the same water craft and bait presentation effort if you want to catch anything

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

I thought some on this board might go for pike. Surely Britain's most savage coarse fish. Any takers?

Even though I suppose I am primarily a pike angler and love them they are relatively easy to catch. I would miss them a lot but if I had only one choice it would have to be for a fish that was a bit more challenging.Im just glad that the question is hypothetical!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!