NIGHT FISHING

Janet

I'm about to go for my first overnight fishing session at my local lake.

Any helpful hints from you guys?

I think I'm reasonable well prepared with the essentials - flasks, head torch, warm and waterproof clothes (several layers) and umbrella etc. We're not going to go if it's lashing it down, as the lake is difficult to fish in wind and rain. Much as I love my fishing, I certainly don't want to spend all night freezing and wet. It's supposed to be fun, not torture!

What sort of tactics would you recommend? I usually float fish this lake, just in the margins, using either bread, worm or maggots, and I usually do reasonably well. Should I be using different tactics or bait for night fishing? I have managed to borrow a battery operated night float, and I have some little light sticks that I can use in some of my existing floats.

All suggestions will be gratefully received. My honour is at stake!!

Cheers guys,

Janet

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Good luck on your trip. I night fish occasionally and generally catch well. First off be safe. Its a different world in the dark. Try to keep lighting to a minimum with your headtorch as main tool. Your eyes will bcome accustom to dark and be better than having a bright light near you.

I mostly tip fish with isotope or chemical stick. Have not done floatfishing in dark for years but you seem well prepared.

The one tip I would add would be pro plus. These are tablets availeable at supermarkets and are basically caffiene.

I personally hate tablets etc but these can save your life as at about 2 in the morning you will feel very tired and falling asleep is dangerous. Also the next day driving home.

I have only used them occasionally but just keep them with me incase I feel really tired. They work immediately for me and wake me up for a few hours.

Regards

John

I'm about to go for my first overnight fishing session at my local lake.

Any helpful hints from you guys?

I think I'm reasonable well prepared with the essentials - flasks, head torch, warm and waterproof clothes (several layers) and umbrella etc. We're not going to go if it's lashing it down, as the lake is difficult to fish in wind and rain. Much as I love my fishing, I certainly don't want to spend all night freezing and wet. It's supposed to be fun, not torture!

What sort of tactics would you recommend? I usually float fish this lake, just in the margins, using either bread, worm or maggots, and I usually do reasonably well. Should I be using different tactics or bait for night fishing? I have managed to borrow a battery operated night float, and I have some little light sticks that I can use in some of my existing floats.

All suggestions will be gratefully received. My honour is at stake!!

Cheers guys,

Janet

Hi Janet! I'd make sure you take spare torches and batteries its all to easy to lose or break a torch or for it to run out of batteries! It sounds like you are prepared for the the cold but it can be surprisingly cold at night! A good tip if you are feeling tired or cold it to go for a short wander about, this can really help you to warm and wake up!

I too like those chemical night lights though they sway and do all sorts of wierd things to your eyes at night! I've often found that smaller fish don't really feed at night to you might like to be prepared for some larger specimens!

Again I'm sure you are prepared but organisation is key, keep everything easily close to hand and you know your swim well and where the rabbit holes and and edge of the platform etc is!

Rich

Good suggestion about the Pro Plus John.

I don't drive, but I think I'll get some to shove in Paul's tea for the journey home! Luckily I am a bit of a night owl, but I was wondering how I'd cope with a long session after a day at work. To be honest, I think that just the buzz of being out there fishing will be enough to keep me awake, but I'll pop into Boot's tomorrow and get a packet, just to be on the safe side.

I think the lake is pretty safe, although as it's miles out in the countryside, it's obviously going to get very dark unless we have a clear sky and some moonlight. Luckily access to the pegs is very good, and I think my head torch and my Maglite should help. The peg I want to fish is quite small though, and space for moving around is a bit limited, so I'll have to set up carefully to make sure I have room to move around in the dark. I may actually end up sitting a bit farther back from the water's edge, on the path, as I won't have to allow for people walking past me. Probably a bit safer to be not quite so close to the water!

I'm really looking forward to it!

Rich - excellent tip about the batteries there! I hadn't thought of that. New ones are now in my tackle bag! I've also heard from some of the locals who have fished there overnight that they indeed seem to catch the bigger fish. As for the peg, it's like a second home to me now, so I think I'll be ok. I have however managed to find a small supply of light reflective tape, so I'll be attaching a bit of that to the edges just to be on the safe side! Maybe a bit like overkill, but I nearly went head over heels into the margins on Saturday and I don't fancy a dunking!

Janet

Edited by Janet

Make sure you know the swim (ie bank) well in daylight. Get organised have a place for everything so you can find it easily - and more importantly you don't tread on anything you shouldn't!!! Plan where you're going to land, unhook and return your fish - and ensure it is safe. Warmth and a good LED headtorch are essentials. A lamp with a red light won't wreck you're night vision and LED ones last ages on the same batteries. Once dark don't rush anything - move around at '¾speed'. And above all ENJOY!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Janet, float fishing in the margins is a great way to fish but if you can, get some red chemical lights or yellow ones as they are far easier on the eyes than the green ones and less likely to play tricks on them. It is quite amazing what you think you see when watching an illuminated float for long periods. It is also worth fishing heavier at night as the bigger fish are likely to be patrolling the margins. Ensure that your swim is well laid out with everything to hand as there is nothing worse than struggling to find something but above all enjoy the experience.

I loved your story earlier today and am trying to convince my wife that it would be in everyones interest that I should have a late evening session tomorrow to use up the worms that she kindly collected for me at the weekend when tidying up our sons garden. Well one can always live in hope. :D

mozzie liquid first on the list

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'd echo what Chesters has said about countering mozzies. I find Avon Skin So Soft very effective. Alternatively, citronella oil can be helpful.

I'd also suggest you get set up well before dark to avoid disturbance. It's best to have everything you might need close to hand, and also to note exactly where it is before it gets dark.

Good luck!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Janet, float fishing in the margins is a great way to fish but if you can, get some red chemical lights or yellow ones as they are far easier on the eyes than the green ones and less likely to play tricks on them

I've got both a red float and yellow chemical lights. I think I may take them into the bath with me tonight to see which I prefer! Don't laugh - I have tested floats and shotting out before by taking them into the bath with me!

What exactly did you mean by fishing heavier? I've just loaded my reel with some Browning Black Magic 5.3lb Sinking Match Line. Slightly heavier than I'd normally use, but I thought I'd play safe. You never know....there are no unexpected monsters in this lake, but there are one or two biggies, maybe approaching the 20lb mark. Now one of those would be a good result!

At the moment I'm still intending to float fish in my usual way, using worm or maggot on the hook, keeping loose feed of maggot, chopped worm, caster and a few small feed pellets going in on every cast. However, in my cupboard I have several bags of ground bait that I won last year. Should I be using ground bait as well?

I haven't needed it so far this year. I've managed to catch well (for me!) on just my hook bait and a bit of loose feed.

I'm sounding a bit dim, aren't I?

Janet