Specimen reel options but not big pit!

bluben79

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say I've owned several different models of the Shimano's but since the Aero Baitrunner GT's (I believe made by Okuma) I've not been all that impressed. I still own and use my 5010 Aero Baitrunner GT's and love them to bits.

As the original poster intimated I found the drags started getting sticky amongst other faults.

Since going out on their own Okuma have produced some very good reels though, admittedly they've also produced a lot of cheap crap but their high spec models I've found to be very good indeed.

Thanks Rob.I to have the older models (6010 and 4010) so wondered why the drags were being criticised. As I keep saying unless a posted comment is explained/justified its a complete waste of time! Thanks to you bothering to explain I have now learned something.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've found the drags on all my shimano's to be smooth as silk, I can't fault them.

I have the okuma VS reel which is okumas top reel and very well made but it's a front drag and not a freespool. I belive okuma have changed their suppliers and the centrepin reels have gone down hill fast !

I looked at three Martin Bowler CP's recently and the machining was crap (drill marks etc coverd with anodising which looked like thick paint and was uneven and lumpy rond the spool) I decided against one as soon as I picked it up. I was told off the shop owner that okuma have changed supplier (how true that is I don't know) and he said all the reels he'd seen from them where nowhere near the quality of the past. I love my sheffield and am glad I got one when I did. It seems like everyones cutting corners these days to keep prices down and compete in the price war.

You're welcome Budgie!

My mate Graeme and I recently bought the last four Okuma Epix Pro (now discontinued) baitrunners in the 40 size we could find anywhere, they got delivered last week. 10 BB's, three spools and a choice of double or single handle makes £50 look cheap.

I can't wait to abuse them this coming season and see how they stack up v the Aero GT's but at first impressions, they feel like the mutts nuts!

Edited by Rob Ward

I've been using my 5000 Aero GTEs for about 8 years now, and they are as good as the day I bought them, drag included. The later models don't have the same feel of quality as the older ones. I think if I had to buy a new baitrunner now, I would probably go for an Okuma over a Shimano.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've found the drags on all my shimano's to be smooth as silk, I can't fault them.

I have the okuma VS reel which is okumas top reel and very well made but it's a front drag and not a freespool. I belive okuma have changed their suppliers and the centrepin reels have gone down hill fast !

I looked at three Martin Bowler CP's recently and the machining was crap (drill marks etc coverd with anodising which looked like thick paint and was uneven and lumpy rond the spool) I decided against one as soon as I picked it up. I was told off the shop owner that okuma have changed supplier (how true that is I don't know) and he said all the reels he'd seen from them where nowhere near the quality of the past. I love my sheffield and am glad I got one when I did. It seems like everyones cutting corners these days to keep prices down and compete in the price war.

To go with Steys rod i got a Sheffield off e bay for £92 absolutely mint box and everything no idea what the new ones are like but this ones a goodun ,Got a couple of old Epix in 65 size that have been faultless for many years despite the abuse i give them .

Happy to accept the general concencus that the older Shimmys are the best and when i need some more that is what i will look at .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

A local tackle dealer tells me Okuma have stopped trying to compete with Shimano at the top end of their range which is a shame if true.

Apparently most just see them as budget reels so won't consider them when shopping in the higher price bracket.