How much is enough?

SteveP

I'm looking around for a new fixed spool reel at the moment,and wondered why so many have spools capable of holding say 300+yards of 4 lb mono?

When would you need this amount of line - surely 100 yards or so would cover most situations?

Cheers

Steve

it doesnt matter line is so cheap and your not forced to use 4lb i`m surprised that everything is so standerised nowadays even old reels had different capacity spools ,older ones collars to adjust the depth .i suppose it was the cost? 25yard spools were all you could afford then

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

it may be because not everyone wants to use 4lb, so you get the choice of still putting a decent amount of heavier line on

chesters1:

it doesnt matter line is so cheap and your not forced to use 4lb     just noticed that so many reels seem to have the main spool quoted at "holds X hundreds of yards of 3 or 4 lb" way in excess of what you actually need, and the shallow spools seem to be an afterthought & are usually graphite - they always look a bit cheap to me :(

Cheers

Steve

Some reels give you a choice of spare 'match spool' or a 'specimen spool' my shimano stradic does and the match spool holds 100m of 4lb line while the deeper spool holds about 200m of 10lb line. so you have a choice.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

SteveP has a good point.

With lower diameter monos and braid, 300yds of 4lb mono could easily translate to 200+ yds of 12 lb mono.

I think its just a ruse to make us buy more fishing line.

I back my spools heavily with insulation tape, it saves on waste and still gives me good line lay.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I use shimano reels.

I have one 3000 size and three 4000 size reels for general work.

I have seven 4000 size spools in four sizes.

A 4000 size reel can be used for anything from light float work, medium lure work or heavy feeder work.

This gives me the option (and I do use them all)of using anything from 3lb to 8lb mono with various floating and sinking lines, I also have a spool of 4lb braid for long range or clear winters days on the bomb or feeder. Any of these can be used on either of the three reels.

The 3000 size is used for float work and has two spools, one with 2.5lb line and one with 4.5lb line.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!