Allcocks Match Airel

76jerry

As a user rather than collector of centre pins these must be the most overated pins. They are heavy and the spool is also heavy which leads to problems when casting because of flywheel effect so only can be used by experts the prices are going through the roof on the second hand market why?

Give me a bearing reel anyday with a solid drum .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a user rather than collector of centre pins these must be the most overated pins. They are heavy and the spool is also heavy which leads to problems when casting because of flywheel effect so only can be used by experts the prices are going through the roof on the second hand market why?

Give me a bearing reel anyday with a solid drum .

I hear what your saying terry but everyone to their own, I think a lot of people want the old kit in preference to todays reels, I much prefer to use 1960s reels than todays sort, not that I dont have any I have, but I prefer my speedia's, rapidex's & match aerials to todays stuff, thats just me though & I still fish with cane rods.

Your right about prices they are rocketing compared to last year & I think one of the reasons for that is the barbel anglers are now turning to centrepins for ledger tactics after seeing a programme on tv.

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

I have three Allcocks match aerials and love em to bit's ! I think they're as good as any pin ever made and find them perfect for wallise casting. I think your more likely to get overuns using a ballrace pin, but saying that your in control so should be able to cast as well with either style of reel.

Guest bbamboo

I think a good match aerial will do all you want it to do.

They are fine reels if you get a good one there still well up there. A near mint one recently made just over £200 thats the same price approx as last year.

They are still a good buy in my view.

gary

I think £150 for a half decent Match Aeriel is a lot better value than £200+ for a lot of the modern pins!

I think a good match aerial will do all you want it to do.

They are fine reels if you get a good one there still well up there. A near mint one recently made just over £200 thats the same price approx as last year.

They are still a good buy in my view.

gary

Yes there are some very good Aerials out there but there are even more rubbish ones and ones that a novice could catch a cold with, I would never suggest a total novice buy's an Aerial because he/she could be buying a load of trouble.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Ironically before the Passion for Angling programme centerpins fetched very little most went for a few quid with £40 getting you a boxed mint reel since then the whole market has got rather silly.

Lets face it look at the number of engineering tasks that have to be done to create even a fairly basic fixed spool reel and then consider how much less has to be done to construct a centerpin..

We have been paying silly money for years which I why I salute Roger Surgay for bringing some sense of proportion to pin prices with the Marco Cortesi reel.

As for the Aerial reels they were ok in their time much better can be produced now with CNC machinery The Match Aerial was not a particularly great reel as Jerry said it was OK it did a job but there are better reels available now.

Why are prices so high ....because people are daft enough to pay them! They went up on the back of a nostalga boom though things are starting to settle a bit any many anglers as starting to get a sense of proportion and using pins in their proper place and I suspect that we will see prices of working reels fall which as far as I am concerned is all to the good.

As for a novice buying secondhand I would counsel against it as there are a lot of duff reels out there waiting to be offloaded onto the unsuspecting.

Caveat Emptor!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Ironically before the Passion for Angling programme centerpins fetched very little most went for a few quid with £40 getting you a boxed mint reel since then the whole market has got rather silly.

Lets face it look at the number of engineering tasks that have to be done to create even a fairly basic fixed spool reel and then consider how much less has to be done to construct a centerpin..

We have been paying silly money for years which I why I salute Roger Surgay for bringing some sense of proportion to pin prices with the Marco Cortesi reel.

As for the Aerial reels they were ok in their time much better can be produced now with CNC machinery The Match Aerial was not a particularly great reel as Jerry said it was OK it did a job but there are better reels available now.

Why are prices so high ....because people are daft enough to pay them! They went up on the back of a nostalga boom though things are starting to settle a bit any many anglers as starting to get a sense of proportion and using pins in their proper place and I suspect that we will see prices of working reels fall which as far as I am concerned is all to the good.

As for a novice buying secondhand I would counsel against it as there are a lot of duff reels out there waiting to be offloaded onto the unsuspecting.

Caveat Emptor!!

Not sure I agree with some of that Alan. Witcher first produced reels during 1989 four years before APFA was screened so clearly [he thought] there was a market for expensive centrepins at that time (in 2001 they sold for £549). Lythe started manufacturing fifteen years ago, two years after the series and he's still going strong so if it's a fad started by a TV programme it's a bloody long one. There's more to it than that but I'd agree that the current basis for centrepin poularity isn't entirely logical.

I don't think that anyone who regards a centrepin solely as a tool for a job will ever understand why 'dafties' pay huge amounts for them. That's ok though because 'dafties' and 'sensibles' are interested in two completey different markets and never the twain shall meet, at least not on the trading floor. There is room for both.

The MA does deserve the accolade of a great reel. It was an affordable mass produced centrepin which still works very well 50 years later, a good one is a real pleasure to use, better than modern replicas produced on CNC machinery and I think it's a significant reel for that fact alone. In a dafty's opinion everybody should own one.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back