Famous anglers only catch those fish because...

Anderoo

Have you read any of his books? They're excellent.

I have one Specimen Fishing/hunter or some such ,Most excellent it is to Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read any of his books? They're excellent.

I only have one of his books "Big Fish Angling A Specimen Hunter Reflects". He certainly puts the time and effort in on the bank or he used to. It's a while ago since I read his book but if I remember correctly he did seem to loose an awful lot of fish after he'd gone to so much trouble to hook up with them. His m8 Trevor West seemed to be a little bit more on the ball though.

No, why?

Well, because clearly without some form of media it's quite difficult to determine how good an angler is...unless you've met them and fished with them. Tigger's a very good angler and jolly good fun in the pub afterwards, although for the full effect you do need Ste there as well.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well, because clearly without some form of media it's quite difficult to determine how good an angler is...unless you've met them and fished with them. Tigger's a very good angler and jolly good fun in the pub afterwards, although for the full effect you do need Ste there as well.

Why thankyou for the nice comments Chris :D

Your as good an angler as any yourself and top company my friend ;) . I look forward to a repeat performance but I think we should stay in the pub a little later next time and maybe keep Ste off the wine...his snoring blew my ear drums out :o

Fair enough Rusty, I'm not trying rank individuals, the topic was more about people's attitudes to well known anglers, and why they catch notable fish. I'm amazed that someone who's read some of Tony Miles' stuff can have such a low opinion of him though. The man is a pioneer and a unique thinker, to say he's only been successful because he's spent his life sat behind alarms is pretty insulting in my opinion. What about the Claydon brook chub and perch, the Cherwell barbel, all the huge chub and barbel and perch from the upper Ouse, the tench and bream at TC pit? There's also the Queenford bream, but that was harder to get into. All the rest though were available to anyone, but the stock was unknown and it was very hard work and so most didn't bother. But he saw the potential and in some cases there were monsters there, and he found them and worked out how to catch them, and then put the effort in. I find him a real inspiration, and urge anyone to read his books. Everything you need to know about being a better angler is in there.

Don't forget that he was doing all this while holding down a job, and the books that tell these stories are a result of all that pioneering and effort. He wasn't famous before he'd achieved it all.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fair enough Rusty, I'm not trying rank individuals, the topic was more about people's attitudes to well known anglers, and why they catch notable fish. I'm amazed that someone who's read some of Tony Miles' stuff can have such a low opinion of him though. The man is a pioneer and a unique thinker, to say he's only been successful because he's spent his life sat behind alarms is pretty insulting in my opinion. What about the Claydon brook chub and perch, the Cherwell barbel, all the huge chub and barbel and perch from the upper Ouse, the tench and bream at TC pit? There's also the Queenford bream, but that was harder to get into. All the rest though were available to anyone, but the stock was unknown and it was very hard work and so most didn't bother. But he saw the potential and in some cases there were monsters there, and he found them and worked out how to catch them, and then put the effort in. I find him a real inspiration, and urge anyone to read his books. Everything you need to know about being a better angler is in there.

Don't forget that he was doing all this while holding down a job, and the books that tell these stories are a result of all that pioneering and effort. He wasn't famous before he'd achieved it all.

Andrew, I definatly don't have a low opinion of Tony Miles, quite the contrary actually. He seems like a down to earth chap and as you say has put in lots of effort to catch his quarry. He has spent alot of time behind bleepers though :) . That isn't meant to be a derogatory statement as if targetting certain specimine species that's what you have to do...unless of course your lucky and get a hook up pretty sharpish.