Famous anglers only catch those fish because...

Anderoo

Do you reckon you'd catch the same numbers (or even more) of specimen fish as, say, Martin Bowler if you could fish all the places he does then Tigger?

Why not Andrew ? Unlike you I don't have the same hight opinion of his angling skills. The techniques he used in the programe where talking about arn't difficult and I just fail to see how just because he managed to bump into a tench of a pound or two heavier than your catches makes him a better angler. He could go back to the very same spot a hundred times and never beat that fish, but then again next time he might get a 12lber...who knows. You yourself could go to the same spot and get a bigger fish than his or maybe blank !

IMO the hardest part of catching specimine fish is getting onto a water which actually contains them. After that it's just a case of trial and error combined with hours spent on the bank until you get lucky. Obviously the harder you try the more chance you have of catching a monster :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Tigger, that is interesting.

Funny you should mention a 12lber, as (according to the locals) he returned and did just that.

What do you think would be difficult angling skills that would have added merit to the captures? I tend to think that any good fishing tends to look easy in the hands of those who know what they're doing, e.g. casting a fly, trotting a float, etc. I also tend to think that you only see what other people are doing, and not why they are doing it, which are very different things.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I didn't mention pre-baiting! On that lake, pre-baiting would be a waste of time so I doubt he did that (busy lake, so no guarantee of getting that swim)

If we're still on the subject of the tench this is from the book;

"Owen and Paul were there to greet us when we pulled up at the lake. The lads had really done us a huge favour, sacrificing thier own sport to keep two very productive areas free of disturbance and baiting them liberally for over a week"

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Cheers Tigger, that is interesting.

Funny you should mention a 12lber, as (according to the locals) he returned and did just that.

What do you think would be difficult angling skills that would have added merit to the captures? I tend to think that any good fishing tends to look easy in the hands of those who know what they're doing, e.g. casting a fly, trotting a float, etc. I also tend to think that you only see what other people are doing, and not why they are doing it, which are very different things.

I don't think there where any difficult angling skills in most of the CTI series or none that spring to mine anyhow. Getting back onto the float fished tench, he simply float ledgerd and his cast was just a simple underarm flick just beyond his rod tip.....I fail to see how that's a difficult angling skill. Lets face it Andrew that's just what we did when we where little kids.

Chris's last post just proves that alot of the preperation for the fishing is actually done by other people (just like eating a cake after someone else has done the baking). It's like in the episode when he was trotting a river for chub...blimey he could see the buggers and they wheren't exactly shy fish where they.

What about the catfish episode ? He just sent his bait out to a likely lookin spot via a baitboat and went to bed LOL.

Sometimes the books accompanying the series are worth a read to bring everything into prespective. The Passion for angling book is interesting also and explains things not visible in the programme.

I don't think there where any difficult angling skills in most of the CTI series or none that spring to mine anyhow. Getting back onto the float fished tench, he simply float ledgerd and his cast was just a simple underarm flick just beyond his rod tip.....I fail to see how that's a difficult angling skill. Lets face it Andrew that's just what we did when we where little kids.

Chris's last post just proves that alot of the preperation for the fishing is actually done by other people (just like eating a cake after someone else has done the baking). It's like in the episode when he was trotting a river for chub...blimey he could see the buggers and they wheren't exactly shy fish where they.

What about the catfish episode ? He just sent his bait out to a likely lookin spot via a baitboat and went to bed LOL.

Sometimes the books accompanying the series are worth a read to bring everything into prespective. The Passion for angling book is interesting also and explains things not visible in the programme.

yay! thanks for the passion for angling book tip.

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

Am I getting this all wrong re Martin Bowlers DF tench? I always understood that he was fishing the MKF Pan lake for the "Catching the Impossible"

Certainly the Pan lake in the video.

I say that because I was there on the day, one I will always remember as I got my first 40lb+ carp 4 swims along the bank :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Am I getting this all wrong re Martin Bowlers DF tench? I always understood that he was fishing the MKF Pan lake for the "Catching the Impossible"

Correct Den, at Linear they blanked, at Newlands they camped out for three days and succeeded and the 'impossible' was caught at Pan Lake.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Certainly the Pan lake in the video.

I say that because I was there on the day, one I will always remember as I got my first 40lb+ carp 4 swims along the bank :)

Den

No, you're right Den, the double was from MKF Pan lake, the one I'm talking about is the 9lber he had in one of the early programmes from an Oxford club lake (Newlands AC Specimen lake).

I agree Tigger, none of it was hard technically, that wasn't my point. Fair point about people feeding the swim for him ahead of his arrival, I didn't know that. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one anyway, as the topic has become fixated on Martin Bowler.

We can start on Tony Miles if you like, he's had most of his enormous fish from readily accessible waters :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

We can start on Tony Miles if you like, he's had most of his enormous fish from readily accessible waters :)

LOL Andrew....he's spent half his life sat on banks behind buzzers. I think if anyone spent the best part of their lives fishing they'd hook a few specimines even if they where crap anglers.....here we go again :lol:

Another thing is the waters containing large specimine fish where much more accessible to mortals many moons ago when he was in his pomp.

LOL Andrew....he's spent half his life sat on banks behind buzzers. I think if anyone spent the best part of their lives fishing they'd hook a few specimines even if they where crap anglers.....here we go again :lol:

Another thing is the waters containing large specimine fish where much more accessible to mortals many moons ago when he was in his pomp.

Have you read any of his books? They're excellent.