What pole ?

Prince Numpty

Ihatebitealarmsandcarpers.:

Surely fishing is about involvement, concentrating on float and tip, constantly changing things in the pursuit of bites, thinking all the time, a game of cat and mouse between the hunter and the hunted.

How about the thinking, locating, rig-devising, tactics planning, pre-baiting and playing of the fish that goes on before, during and after each session? No finer representation of your 'game of cat and mouse' exists on the bankside, mate.

The problem is, you interpret what you see using your very limited understanding of what's going on. Personally, I spend far longer looking, learning and trying to suss things out, than I spend bivvied-up and putting into practise what I've learned. Even at my chosen level, there's plenty of 'involvement', believe me. :rolleyes:

The fact is, mate, your 'hate ALL carpers' tag wasn't, isn't and could never be, funny. Bad call on the 'wind up as many as possible,' deal, too. This IS a great forum, packed with people who know plenty and enjoy a good laugh, and certainly a good wind-up, but there are ways and means of introducing yourself to this lot, and you chose to blunder in all gums blazing, rather than introduce yourself.

Offload that boring name and sig, and let's give it another go, eh? As someone once said, mate, minds are like parachutes - they only work properly when they're open.

All the best.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ihatebitealarmsandcarpers.:

It's not so much the fish, more the methods used to catch them. Surely fishing is about involvement, concentrating on float and tip, constantly changing things in the pursuit of bites, thinking all the time, a game of cat and mouse between the hunter and the hunted.

And to re-quote "Surely fishing is about involvement"

Does that not involve other anglers? Maybe ones who employ different tactics and methods for differing species? Well it should do really.

Fishing for larger Carp is in the most part a waiting game, a 24 hour session could be considered a short one when targeting a large fish, so the "tent" then becomes a necessity. Certainly I like to have at least one period of sleep in every 24 hours.

I get a few hints from your post and the first is that you are fishing quite a pressured/busy place where the Carp may well have been caught before and are now hook/bait shy, hence why the Carp anglers fish at night, when bankside disturbance ia at a minimum..as you said yourself, even the dog walkers have gone home so they are not casting shadows on the marginal water to spook the Carp 120yds out into the venue.

Perhaps the general angler (such as yourself) with the constant casting of a feeder or float are spooking the fish into the middle of the lake in the daytime?

Would it not then follow the the Carp angler is actually doing what you deem to be correct in the second part of your quote from above "changing things in the pursuit of bites, thinking all the time, a game of cat and mouse between the hunter and the hunted." do you not think that he has assessed the conditions and then applied your ruling? I think he has.

Carp are big eaters so the bait quantity is irellevant really and the hole in the weed bit I would think is where the Carp can freely graze on the said bait, in a sense, the angler has set a trap and is waiting to ambush the Carp..Does that answer the cat and mouse bit? I think so!

Now it is each to his own when fishing and I neither fish for Carp or use a Pole, but I speak regularly with those who do. I personnaly cant see the point of using a rod with no reel on it, but it does not mean that I hate the angler who favours that method...as long as he enjoys the fishing!!

And finally you ask us to lighten up about you board name, perhaps you should once again have used you own advice when you chose your name here!!

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Ihatewhatever - if you would like a name change, it can be done. Just let Elton know what name you would prefer or sign up again as someone else.

I don't remember exactly and this forum may only take one user from a specific email address but if that's the case, you could sign up for one of the free accounts and use that just to register.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

lets start all over again, and you'll find out how friendly this forum is. you may have to leave your sense of humour behind reception though, if you really thought you were being funny.

my pole fishing guide

I am not going to write things in here as i have it written already on my site, but click the above and you will have my advise on buying a pole.

I have also recently added a how to elasticate a pole.

Plenty more coming soon!

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

a black one ,its an unusual name you have is it your christian name or surname :)

[ 22. January 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to Anglers Net 'Ihatewhatever...'

Don't let the bashing you have thus far received fool you, this is a great place to air views, receive advice, even give a bit if you can, and have a laugh with generally like-minded goodeggs.

If you don't learn a shed load in your first month on here you can get your money back... honest! :D

Good luck in your hunt for a pole, personally I can't stand 'em, all that shuffling noise, those garish seat boxes, grown men (mostly) sitting side saddle on the waters edge all fishing two inches from the far ledge with animal droppings on a size 22, I mean what's the point of that then? :D

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

Surely fishing is about involvement, concentrating on float and tip, constantly changing things in the pursuit of bites, thinking all the time, a game of cat and mouse between the hunter and the hunted.

How about the thinking, locating, rig-devising, tactics planning, pre-baiting and playing of the fish that goes on before, during and after each session? No finer representation of your 'game of cat and mouse' exists on the bankside, mate.

The problem is, you interpret what you see using your very limited understanding of what's going on. Personally, I spend far longer looking, learning and trying to suss things out, than I spend bivvied-up and putting into practise what I've learned. Even at my chosen level, there's plenty of 'involvement', believe me. :rolleyes:

All the best.

Terry :D

After that Terry, even I have to look at carping in a different light! But even so, there are two sorts of carp angler!!

Peter I have reached the age when having a big one and doing wonderful things with it has ceased to appeal to me I'd rather just go fishing.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates