Good point Polly......

Paul

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liamsm:

GennB,

"I don't bait badgers or go to cockfights.

I won't 'defend the rights' of others to do those things, because they're entertainment which require cruelty. Same as foxhunting with hounds."

I take it that you do not support the cruel sport of fishing like the rest of us then?

Because the argument that you are presenting  now will be just as valid an argument against fishing when the time comes.

Liam.

I don't see fishing as 'cruel', except certain practices like gorge fishing (or whatever its called) for pike.

There's a world of difference between a mammal's brain power and the development of its cerebral cortex - the bit that does 'experience' and 'conciousness', and that of a fish. In any case a primary concern when angling is not to harm the fish. A trifle different from the objective of a fox-hunt no?

And if it comes to the crunch and eventually antis try to apply genuine pressure to get a ban on angling, then I think these are the kinds of arguments that we'll have to use.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Polly

Foxes are quiet happy to go into a chicken hut/run & kill all the birds without taking a single one for food, they have also been known to take newborn pigglets & lambs.

No maybe the foxes don't consume crops but they do more damage in other ways. (no i don't have statistics etc available)

Thats way they are considered a pest or vermin.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Glen,

I don't consider fishing to be cruel either,

I do consider fox hunting to be cruel and would never take part in it.

However that is only my personal opinion, many have a different view, that they are also entitled to,

Many have the view that fishing is cruel , so what makes our opinion, or view any more valid than theirs?.

You can never make a sensible argument that it is right to ban one thing by law, that is considered cruel by some and not something else that is also considered cruel by others.

The primary consideration for any law is that it is equal for everyone.

If you are going to give equal rights to foxes with humans. Then why should fish not have equal rights with foxes?. See how silly it gets?.

...........Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

john_lancs55:

were was all these people when they closed the mines not marching or trying to drum up support for the miners & there families who lost there livelyhood & went into untold debt.

I was listening to Degsy in Blackburn today as well John.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard it and would bring it up on here.

John.

Peter Sharpe:

Does anyone actually believe all this guff about only the weak and diseased being killed by a hunt? Are the terriers they send down the earths qualified to carry out a full health check? Trapping would obviously be a far superior method if this was a genuine concern, as healthy foxes could be released. I'm a bit confused about the Scottish hunts driving foxes towards the guns. How do they manage to do that, or do they have people with guns sitting around the whole countryside, just on the off chance that a fox might decide to run their way. Are all the hounds muzzled as well?

I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer.

I don't believe that wether a fox is healthy or not is any concern of the hunters, after all rentakill hardly seek out old an infirm rats when carrying out their duties. However this a concern to anyone that likes to see a healthy balance in our natural enviroment, survival of the fittest.

As for scottish hunts driving fox's towards the guns,from what I can gather about half a dozen guns on quad bikes keep in touch with the hunt via two way radios. Once they know the rough direction the fox is headed they deploy themselves and wait for the fox to appear.

Lastly I don't know wether the hounds are muzzled, but I do know that the police seem to be present at these meets and inform the huntsmen of the letter of the law. They have made no arrests and are quite happy that no new laws are being broken.

Regards,

Ian

[ 23. September 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: ian jobling ]

John Lanksy, I did not march for the miners but I did give them quite a bit of cash to help them continue their battle. I believe very strongly in the right to belong to a trade union, and the right to withdraw your labour without victimisation, a right that was also taken away by a minority.

I also believe very strongly in the right to pursue my chosen sport without interference.

{Removed comment regarding current high profile court case - don't have funds to contest this one - Elton}

You may be surprised to know how many of the marchers that I met also voiced that opinion.

You may also be surprised at the number who expressed the opinion that if foxhunters had got the Gays on their side then the Govt would not dare to ban it.

There is a very strong feeling among the White Anglo Saxon silent majority, that their values are being steadily eroded, a view that I also hold quite strongly.

What has that got to do with foxhunting you may ask, probably nothing I will answer, but it has got everything to do with freedom of choice and values, the values that used to shape our lives and made this country great.

Den

[ 03. October 2002, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I live in a city. I like going to the countryside (whats left of it). I enjoy rock climbing, mountaineering, which almost invariably involves walking across farm land to get there. I enjoy river fishing, which also requires the crossing of meadows... owned by farmers.

These guys, on the whole, get a pretty raw deal. They are castigated if they up root hedges to make farming easier (excepting the principal of soil erosion)... they are the unpaid custodians of the countryside. They have to tolerate the pretty poor specimens who break fences, leave litter which damage their cattle, cut wire if the style for a footpath is not quite in the right place.

The CA is about these people as well as the hunting fraternity. It is the media and antis who have said CA = Fox Hunting. B.ll.cks. There are many aspects of the Countryside which are pertinent issues. It just appears that the govt. could not care a t.ss about rural issues coz most rural constituences are in Tory areas.

I shall tell you just how desparate some farmers are getting.... forget taking their own lives with shotguns. It is getting so desparate that some have resorted to converting their land into fisheries, to get paid a pittance of £5 per peg by anglers (many of whom are ignorant gits). The last people I would want on my land are us lot.

Good on the CA for organising yesterday. 400,000 people. From what I see on this site, I doubt 400 people would bother to march if our way of life was under threat...... we couldn't organise it!!! :P

Discuss

(Lights blue touch paper and retreats to a very safe distance) :mad:

Liamsm:

Glen,

I don't consider fishing to be cruel either,

I do consider fox hunting to be cruel and would never take part in it.

However that is only my personal opinion,  many have a different view, that they are also entitled to.

...........Liam

I don't understand this attitude. It's possible to extend it until you legitimise anything: stoning for adultery (Iran, parts of Nigeria), female circumcision (various), torture generally. 'Well, I think it's evil but people should be allowed to do it if they like'.

If you think hunting's cruel AND you find its particular type of cruelty unacceptable then take a stand: don't defend someone's right to do it. It's not really about opinion in that case: it's about what you think is right and wrong.

I'm not suggesting you stamp on someone's rights just because you don't like something, but there are times when it goes beyond likes and dislikes (if not for you, then at least clearly for some others on the site).