When are we going to get some rain!

Chris Plumb

Been out on the Thames for a week now and she is still flowing but nowhere near as well as you would expect for this time of year ,The lower Kennet was fine when we left last Thursday and we are back there later today if my mate ever fixes his engine so will give a report then .

Thames in major Algae bloom mode and with little flow as well dont bode well for start of season without some of the wet stuff Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thames here stopped flowing weeks ago and has started to colour up with that brown algae we get every summer. The tributaries aren't looking too bad at the moment, surprisingly. We are due a load of rain over the long weekend but with the hard, dry ground it will probably all run off and be gone almost immediately so won't do much good.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No bank holliday rain here and none forcast for the next week. Both the Severn and the Worcs Stour are very low with lots of algae on the rocks.

Was on the banks over the last couple of days and they're very dry - dry enough to be delaying the growth of the balsom and other bankside plants.

I have mixed feelings about the lack of rain because fish stocks are fairly low after the last few years May floods and we could do with a year of high fry survival rates. It'd be nice if the streamer weed got a chance to flower and set seed without being flooded out as well.

No doubt the flood will come though 'cause we seem to have settled into a pattern of dry springs followed by a "European Monsoon" in mid May.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Metcheck:

With the current very dry conditions continuing in many areas, concern is increasing about the possible effects of drought over the coming months, especially if the dry spell doesn't break. At the moment, there is little sign of any notable rain falling across much of the country for at least another 7 days.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Metcheck:

my taps still working but great excuses to increase the price of food despite we hardly grow any hence need an excuse to raise prices anyway to make it appear its not just greed

its pretty much like the south of france they seem to be fine agriculturely ,same as when a flake of snow falls out come the excuses to charge more but strangely snow covered countries function fine.

the flowers are a bit slow this year but so what if they are they are just flowers enjoy the sun because you will be moaning once the rains here for a second longer than you judge it should be :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Looks like some rain is on the way! (at last!)

Well, obviously.

We've been waiting a fortnight for someone to fix our washing machine.

We have a pile of dirty washing the size of the Eiger.

The man arrived today and fixed it - of course it is about to turn rainy!

Sea Breezes are really strong in my area for this time of year. Have picked up without fail about 1430hrs for the past few days. Just fading now as the sun drops down.

I give it until Monday latest until we get the evening thunderstorms if the heat stays with us. Quite looking forward to it as I work a few miles south in Lowestoft, also on the coast, and I'm on late shift so I'll get a good view lol.

Seriously though, we do need the rain. My Dads wildlife rescue centre is mainly taking in dehydrated animals and birds atm.

Keep your birdbaths full and if you even suspect you have hedgehogs, foxes or other animal life in the garden, put out a bowl of water before bedtime.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

i think perhaps, maybe now ,shortly or some time in the future someone should could or may get rain ,sorry to be so precise luckily though its far more precise than the weather men and their millions £ computers

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson