The Lift Method

A Worm OOE

I was using the lidt method on wednesday evening with a drennan 3AAA tench float which is designed for the lift.

A float with a big wide body is best as the large area supports the weight of the shot much better as a fish lifts them off the bottom. A very long insert into the body is a must because as soon as the body hits the surface the fish feels resistance and the bite must be hit as the float lifts.

I had 3AAA (yes three) an inch from the hook and two tiny number shot to hold the float in position.

I caught Tench, bream, crucians and perch, some very small - all lifted the float.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had limited success with the lift. On some venues it works really well. On others I find that you cast out, the float settles flat. Then as you tighten up to cock it the bottom shot will move before the float has been dotted down sufficiently. This happens repeatedly until the float ends up almost under the rod tip.

Some advise using just enough shot to sink the float, whilst others say it should be sunk out of sight. I reckon in theory the former is correct.

Could my problem simply be due to the nature of the bottom?

Jim.

You can scale it down. I used to use it to fish tiny cubes of luncheon meat with a 2BB Drennan Dart shotted with one No.4 either side of the float and two No.4s a couple of inches from the hook. Doesn't cast very well, but this was a rod length out in about 10' of water. Used to get tench, carp, bream, stillwater chub and some very nice roach that way.

The lift method generally doesn't work very well if the bottom isn't clean, in my experiance. I've given up with it on my favourite tench water because there's canadian pondweed on the bottom and I've found that the lift shot sinks the bait into it. Fishing slightly overdepth to the top of the weed (which is underdepth if you believe the plummet) with a more conventional shotting pattern works better, with the tell-tale shot just above the weed and the bait resting on top of it.

Not seen the links but the way I used to fish the lift was with a very long peacock quill and a swan shot about 3" from the hook. Other shot were added but only if the bottom shot dragged.

Usually the quill was cut to suit the weight of the shot and gave some fantastic lifts, specially for Tench.

I am lucky enough to be fishing a couple of waters which hold Tench to well into double figures ( not rumoured, really do exist :D ) so I just might be tempted to get the float fishing gear out...but then maybe the pole might be better?? :D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

If you ever have the chance to see tench feeding on the bottom in a couple of feet of water, you will instantly see why and how a lift method works - the tench appear to be "bouncing" on their heads.

...and yes, you will often have the float weave an inch or two sideways because the wash of the pectoral fins has pushed the shot and line sideways (as Dick Walker said) You soon learn to recognise that - it is very different from the "lift" proper, which I hope translates into a thumping tench pulling yer string.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Used the lift method today to catch a couple of bream on the canal. What you have to remember is that a weight that appears heavy in the hand weighs much less underwater.

Today, most of my bites were the traditional lift or even lie-flat. I had a couple that pulled the float straight under, and it was these bites where the breadflake was left on the hook. I have to conclude that these unusual bites were fish taking the shot higher up the line!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

MrMatthew:

I think the problem with the lift method, (if it indeed causes a problem     :)    ) seems to be in my limited expereince about depth as well - unless you have an very flat bottom, once you have set the float you have to be very precise with your placement. a few inches one way or the other and you can be out of luck. I don't pole fish but I would imagine that's when this method really rocks!

The trick is to set it overdepth. As the tackle settles, the float lies flat or half-cocked. You then tighten up until the float is set how you want it. You don't have to be at all accurate about the depth.

Tench feed 'head to hell and tail to heaven'

that's why the lift method is so effective.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

poledark:

Not seen the links but the way I used to fish the lift was with a very long peacock quill and a swan shot about 3" from the hook. Other shot were added but only if the bottom shot dragged.

Den

Pretty much as I used to use the method to great effect on both tench and bream. Like Den I often used a piece of peacock quill but on other occasions I would use a long antenna float. One of my favourite ways of using the method was to set a "Dolphin" light shining across the surface of the water, (at night of course) and cast into the beam. I would then tighten until just the tip if the float was showing, (it is only attached at the bottom). The minutest of bites would cause the antenna to rise slowly giving plenty of warning of the bite proper. I caught a lot of fish on the method though today - with the available light sticks - I suppose that the lamp is unnescessary. However, if one is used, it is important not to move it during the night. As long as the beam hits the water at a shallow angle and as long as it is not moved or its beam constantly interupted it will not disturb the fish. However, it is a method that must be used with consideration to other anglers at the water.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.