Why are centrepins so loved or hated

watatoad

hehehe..This might be a bit like taking the pigeons to the cat.

Toady stands up.

I am Watatoad, I am a centrepin user, I am a pinhead, I do have a problem and more than 10 centrepins proves it.

O.K. that's got the confessions over, there may well be a lot of people out there who think that using such an old fashioned thing (even a new one) as a centrepin is just some old anglers jogging (slowly) down their distant memories on a trip to nostalgia.

For me I have always used a centrepin, originally because I could not afford a (at that time the very rare and expensive) fixed spool reel, lets be clear I also use a fixed spool.

Why do I still use one for my style of fishing because I believe it is the best tool in my tackle bag for trotting or stret pegging.

I enjoy using a centrepin in many circumstances

because of the contact it gives me with my hookbait,

because it is just one of the weapons in my tackle arsenal for catching fish,

because it is a learned skill I wish to maintain,

because there are times when I believe it is the best reel for the job,

because I am a sad grumpy ol g*t who enjoys a touch of nostalgia...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I've never fished with one but I can relate to all of that.

I don't think baitcasters are particulatly efficient tools in a lot of ways but they do score over spinning reels in one or two very specific and limited ways but I mostly use them because catching fish with one just puts a big ol' smile on my face.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think most people who buy a pin like the idea of them and maybe think they'll look good on the bank. In reality most of the people/ friends I know don't get on with a centrepin and either stick em in a cuboard or sell em on. I suppose it's like anything else in life...if your passionate about it you'll persivere and master it but if it's not a true passion you'll soon loose the urge to carry on learning the art and move on to something else that's more to your taste. I suppose that's why there's never a shortage of pin's for sale on fleebay etc.

The centrepin is just another way to add interest to what I do.

The simple whip rod catches fish... regularly.

The fixed reel and closed face are surefire hits, wouldn't want to leave 'em at home.

Now the centrepin just gives that chance, that possibly , just possibly the fish will get away.

Somehow it goes with the glass fibre rod, or even the cane.

It belongs to a pre bait alarm era, no buzzers just the rattle of a cigarette foil ring, or the fairy liquid cap clacking the ring.

How the hell did we catch fish?

"Muddlin' along"

"An elegant weapon from a more civilised age" ;)

Nah, that's a light sabre init ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

"An elegant weapon from a more civilised age" ;)

Got it in one :D

Personally I use a centrepin, even though I know it's not always the most efficent way of catching fish (especially on a stillwater) because of the feel of playing a good fish on it. I'm hooked (no pun intended) on the direct contact wit the fish a 'pin allows, playing a fish though a gearbox and clutch just seems to kill all the feel for me.

If you've not had a double figure carp or a decent tench on a 'pin you are really missing out on one of anglings great experiences!

Mat

Mat

Why do I still use one for my style of fishing because I believe it is the best tool in my tackle bag for trotting or stret pegging.

Trotting, stret pegging

plus for me a better tool for fishing the lift method on a beautiful estate lake.

I use mine because it gives me great enjoyment.

Some use a reel only as a tool to hold line.

Others like to stop and smell the roses along the way; as the saying goes.

Fixed spool reels do have their place in my armoury but I usually get a lot more pleasure using one of my Pins whenever I can.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I enjoy using a centrepin in many circumstances

I agree with te above, but;

It's not the best tool for stret pegging or trotting, but it is the most satisfying for these methods.

I enjoy using a centrepin.

I don't beleive there are any other excuses I can give for my addiction. Oh, apart from the fly fishing. It is a more natural reel to use if you also do a lot of fly fishing, for which a fixed spool reel is most definitely useless.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I agree with te above, but;

It's not the best tool for stret pegging or trotting, but it is the most satisfying for these methods.

I enjoy using a centrepin.

I don't beleive there are any other excuses I can give for my addiction. Oh, apart from the fly fishing. It is a more natural reel to use if you also do a lot of fly fishing, for which a fixed spool reel is most definitely useless.

I agree with toady that a centrepin is by far the best tool for stret pegging, trotting and laying on and for margin fishing in still waters.

Come on arbocop what do you think is a better tool for the job ? :)