PROBLEM

MikeyP

I'll start at the beginning. A few months ago I fished at a two pond complex that I've been fishing since I was a kid which has been around for ages and is surrounded by trees etc. and very natural looking. I blanked on one of the ponds and saw absolutely no sign of fish life which had never happened before. A few weeks later and exactly the same. A few weeks later my dad and brother fished the other pond and both blanked. Now I have found out that the President of our Agling Association has removed all the fish from one pond and the majority of fish from the other into a brand new complex about 10 miles away which he calls "his baby" and he now fishes this new complex all the time. I and everybody other angler I talk to has no idea of this and have still been fishing the ponds without anybody knowing there's hardly any fish there. It's not so bad for me as I've got an annual ticket but for people buying a day or week ticket, they've totally wasted their money. I also know for a fact that he targeted the pike in the ponds and then threw them in the hedge because they were, putting it in his words "causing a nuisance." He also told me that there was one of the "b**tards" left in there and that if I caught it to just chuck it in the field behind. A lot of anglers I've spoken to have said that this guy is an a-hole ego-maniac and they can't stand him. Srely he can't be allowed to get away with this stuff. He might be the president of our Angling Association but surely he can't run it purely for his angling benefit because he wants to fish in one big super-pond and remove fish from wherever he wants. If I reported him to the NFA would they be interested?

I know nothing of the workings of the NFA but the Environment agency might be interested,it would depend on whether or not he had a Section 30 consent to move the fish.

Who made him president? Vote him out.

Have a look at the constitution of your club and see what is required to call an EGM (extraordinary general meeting).

If you have a local branch of the Pike Anglers Association get in touch with them as well.

Put a notice up in your local tackle shop to inform other anglers of the situation.

Let his tyres down,...whoops, sorry that's probably going too far. :D

Good advice AJP

Mickey P could also let it be known he would like to form a syndicate to outbid the president for "his baby"

The threat of a breakaway group outbidding them concentrates the collective minds of an angling club remarkably - I've seen it happen.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i really have no idea about what to do in your situation but he does sound like a power hungry **** . I would definetily withdraw your membership in protest and talk to other members to get rid of him if not encourage others to join opther associations as with no members he ll have no finance for his cute little baby.

Hi Your best bet would be as AJP says contact your local E,A office, ask them if there have been any legitimate movement of fish from your complex or if there are any planned,

They may not be at liberty to tell you, so ask nicely. I would also make a general enquiry to your General Secretary asking him the same question.

Depending on how co-operative he is, should indicate how deep within your club this is running.

I would have thought that decisions such as netting waters would have been discussed at you last A,G,M. ask for the last set of minutes from the last few meetings, you may find out it has all been planned for a long time.

In that case you may not be able to do anything about the movements of their stocks, However the removal and disposal of any fish should be done properly, That is were your argument might lie.

If you find no evidence of permission by the E.A or the other members of your club, then the idea of a E,G,M could be the way forward.

Just a word of warning make sure you have your facts straight as you don`t want to end up in a legal battle for false accusations.

Hope that helps.

Tony Jolley.

General Secretary.

National Anguilla Club.

P,S If there is evidance of the mis-treatment of eels I would be intreasted to know.

[ 10. August 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: tony jolley ]

Tony B.T Jolley

This sort of thing happens all the time.Ask anyone who lives in Kent.Least with it being a club you can try and make this person acount for his actions.No chance when it is an Angling Assosiation or worst still the EA!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!