Zander, Your Veiws.

Lurking Pike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was nothing that could be done, then its not your fault, however I agee that you should have struck sooner.

But its past and nothing can turn it around

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Lurking Pike:

can anyone back back me up at all!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I can! By the way, nice pike, one to be proud of.

I can back you up by saying that you are right, some of the time :) .

But its no good being :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . In my varied experience I have found that what you have said about pike takes is not always correct, and you're being mad can't alter that!

I will make you one very sincere and firm promise. If you accept that my findings re pike takes are correct, and if you respond accordingly, you will catch more pike, and some of them will be big. Just remember, that is a promise .

I am sure that you can teach me a great deal, but lets remember, it's a two way thing. But re pike bites, something about sucking eggs springs to mind :D .

Peter

Very impressive credentials you are so lucky to have so many big fish in your area, can I just say that L.P. is a young angler, and may not be able to express himself as well as you or I, lets not drive the young ones away by being a little too aggressive.

I know exactly what he is talking about, as I have, unfortunately, had the same reaction from a Zander whilst on a legered set up with float attached, I was just able to discern a movement on the float, which I at first thought was movement by the current, just a very slight bob, bob, the sort of thing that you could associate with a small piece of debris contacting the line under the surface, when it became apparent that this could be a fish I was surprised to find that I had a Zander on.

Let me just say that I have learned by that experience, and hope that anyone who reads this can also do the same.

Happy Zander catching.

Peter Waller:

Hi Nugg, I'm well aware LP is a young angler. In reality he stands up for himself very well, and writes well above his age. None of us are too old to learn, nor too young!!

AGREED :D

Lurking Pike:

can anyone back back me up at all

Sorry but have to go along with Peter completely. For quite a few of the top pred species with a body design like pike, zander, largemouth/smallmouth bass (US), and several others have.

They will on occasion rip into a bait or lure. Absolutely. But ...

At times (and usually when they don't feel their intended meal can or will run away very fast) simply swim up to the bait, open their mouth, and flare their gills causing water to go thru the mouth and out the gills. Food also goes into the mouth but doesn't exit.

Several years ago I posted a link to a video clip shot underwater. Wish I could find the darned thing again. US professional bass angler was using a lure and we were able to see a nice size bass swim up to his lure, suck the lure completely into it's mouth, spit it back out again, and swim off. The angler never noticed a thing. And this was a man who makes his living by finding and catching fish so has to class as a serious expert.

I fish a lot of soft plastic lures and have noticed the same as Peter described. Often the only signs of a take will be a "softness" in the feel of the lure as I retrieve it, or a very gentle tap tap, or on occasion the line going sidewise or even the lure taking just too long to reach bottom. When this happens I strike and have hooked some large fish.

In fact, I only fish soft plastic lures using a baitcaster (multiplier) and the best graphite (carbon) rod I can get with either a braid of fluorocarbon line. That is so I can retrieve with the line held gently between thumb and forefinger while I bring the lure in. Often possible to feel very light taps I'd otherwise miss.

I don't bait fish for preds at all but if they can behave this way with a moving lure, imagine how they can do with a static dead bait. And I can tell you for sure there is no way to tell if the fish doing the tap-tap is a tiddler or a monster but more likely to be large rather than small. The smaller ones tend to be more aggressive and not so smart.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, Banjo lures did a video with a similar clip on it, might be the same one as we saw on AN a while back.

LP, I'm not trying to rub it in but there is an angler called Chris Bishop who fishes the Fens. He subscribes to the predator-fishing forum on

http://groups.yarhoo.com/group/predator-fishing/?... Chris has put a great deal of research into resistance and bite detection with pike. He has made the point where pike have been seen to suck up a bait, blow it out and the alarms, well set up, have not responded. He made the point by adding that this must happen to ALL of us, but we have no way of knowing how often.

If you look at the bottom of a modern baitcasting rod, where the reel sits on top of the rod, (you asked about multipliers on another thread), you will see the blank is uncovered by a hole in the reel seat. This is so you can feel what's happening at the end of the line.

Newt has made the point far better than I can. I hope you accept all this advice in the spirit in which it is intended.

Not having been pike fishing much, although my PB is 24lb, (fluke!), I will leave this to the experts.

That is a nice pike LP, how big was it?

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts