Zander, Your Veiws.

Lurking Pike

There are some interesting old threads here on Zander, including the views of Matt Hayes.

Most of the above subject matter has been covered here.

Have a look.

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=007733#000005

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=007173#000000

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=001214#000016

[ 28. May 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lurking Pike:

I've caught a 5lb 12oz Zander off the warwickshire avon. i didn't break the law because it swallowed the hook too far down and died. it swallowed the hook too far down because it played about with it first.i wasn't expecting a zander so i treated it like a small pike.

Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

What if had been a big pike that wasn't playing with the bait? L.P. my friend, we all learn as we go along. And may the dead zander be a lesson to you. Treat every pike bite as a big pike. Better to loose a jack than to kill a pike. For pike's sake strike! If the bait is in the pike's mouth, and provided your bait is set up well, the hooks should set on the strike. Us lure anglers srike instantly all the time, its the nature of the beast. We don't loose many. I dead bait with the same attitude, don't loose many that way either.

[ 28. May 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

A fishery must hold a valid section 28 to have zander stocked in its water the same as catfish and grass carp. hardly any fisherys do hold them. It is time that CEFAS and the EA start prosecuteing sutch fisheries. They do cause envronmetal damage that is why you need a section 28. A section 28 would only be given to a fishery if there is no chance of these animals escaping into a natural habitat

Lurking Pike:

Could you please post on this thread about your veiws on Zander.   :confused:      :confused:        

OK you asked for this but since you asked ...

In my humble opinion the general rule should be 'Thou shalt not suffer a non native and potentially invasive species to live' and if you press me too hard this topic then I will say that yes this should include the all hallowed porcine carp too.

Nature does not always find it's own balance, witness cane toads in Australia or the Round Goby and Ruffe in the Great Lakes, Ruffe (again) in my own Loch Lomond, Signal crayfish all over the shop. The list goes on and on.

I also dont think that losing one Esox lucius in exchange for a zander is fair exchange!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

quote:

Peter Waller. Pike have a stronger bite than Zander(Even a weak pike) and Pike dont mess about with a bait they grab it and then twist it round on its head facing their gob and run.

Sorry...I don't agree. I'm not a prolific Pike fisherman but even I've had several fish which initially only indicated a few bleeps on the old PS's but when I 'felt' for them I found that the Pike where giving minute indications that they were lying on the bottom with my deadbaits in their mouths. A strike soon confirms this!

Paul

LP, let me put my credentials on the line, if only to underline the fact that I do know something about pike.

I caught my first pike when I was nine. My father then sent me out for a day with a good friend of his, a man called Dennis Pye. That is forty eight years ago! I have been catching pike on and off ever since. A good years piking will see over 1000 pike come into, or be unhooked alongside my boat. On five occasions I have had three pike within half an hour to a total weight of over 60 pounds. I first caught over 40 lure caught pike in a session back in 1964. The most I have had in a session, lure fishing is 50, I stopped to go back to work. I have long ago lost count of the twenties that I have caught. As for the thirties, I've yet to exceed the magic 35 pounds, 34.12, but I have had a few. But you get my drift, I do have a little experience of catching pike.

Pike can, and do, take a bait with the greatest of finesse. I had a thirty last year that took my lure and I felt absolutely nothing whatsoever. And I have had a number of 20 pound plus fish in similar style. The tension on my line remained EXACTLY the same. The only indication I had of a take was that the line was going off to one side. I struck, and all hell broke loose!

My first ever 30 took a plug, the line went slack, I wound down and struck. Nothing, I thought I had hooked the bottom, until it moved off, very gently!

Other fish have taken the bait and immediately gone ballistic. One thing is for sure, big pike have survived by being lucky, or by being artful.

I never fish more than two rods. Pike need 100% attention. Believe me, not every pike grabs the bait, shakes its head and heads for the horizon.

There is one thing about AnglersNet Lurking Pike, there is always someone who knows better! People like Diamond Geezer and Steve Burke for example.

You made a sweeping statement that is patently not always true. If you had said, 'in my experience, pike grab the bait etc.' then it might have been better. In my experience pike can be extremely delicate feeders. Pike don't always grab the bait. Sometimes they gently, so gently suck in a dead bait, I've watched them do it! One of the joys of pike is the unpredictability of the wee beasties.