Threads and Blogs

gozzer

In the light of recent events on here, may I make a suggestion?

If you you want to publish the results of a days fishing, and don't want the thread to deviate from the results of that session, then please consider doing it in a blog. People can still leave comment, but it is highly unlikely that those comments will deviate from the original topic.

Just a suggestion to try and avoid any future unpleasantness.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not going to post anymore at all but as you have brought the subject up I will take the opportunity.

The easiest way to not get your fishing reports or indeed any thread taken off track is too not post at all.

And Gozzer it was not you directly but I could see my post becoming another bream spodding post.

When a thread about the best spod bait goes off topic to become the best hookbait thats ok for the poster and those reading the thread. The problem with off topic here is that many members may be interested in the hookbait development but miss out as the title is not showing this.

When a topic turns into a political or conservation row from a fishing topic this is unfair on the original poster and also other members may not read it and add their comments to the argument as they have no idea whats going on.

Its like the local council holding a public meeting advertised as whats the best way to treat the cleansing of litter bins and use this to discuss the planned new bypass.

John

I was not going to post anymore at all but as you have brought the subject up I will take the opportunity.

The easiest way to not get your fishing reports or indeed any thread taken off track is too not post at all.

And Gozzer it was not you directly but I could see my post becoming another bream spodding post.

When a thread about the best spod bait goes off topic to become the best hookbait thats ok for the poster and those reading the thread. The problem with off topic here is that many members may be interested in the hookbait development but miss out as the title is not showing this.

When a topic turns into a political or conservation row from a fishing topic this is unfair on the original poster and also other members may not read it and add their comments to the argument as they have no idea whats going on.

Its like the local council holding a public meeting advertised as whats the best way to treat the cleansing of litter bins and use this to discuss the planned new bypass.

John

I'm glad that my post has at least spurred you into giving your views on the subject John. Your post last night was a bit abrupt, and took me, (and I assume others), by surprise, wondering what had happened. I do see your point, but on every forum I have been on, threads have a way of assuming a 'life of their own'. I'm afraid that seems to be the nature of forums. The idea of starting a blog is a less drastic way of ensuring that the original topic is maintained, (I believe that's what they were designed for). Others can leave comments/questions, the OP can answer, and it seems (to me) to be the ideal solution.

I have always enjoyed your reports and always left favourable comments on them, and it would be a loss if you stopped posting them. I only started this thread to suggest an alternative, that (I believe) would be of benefit to you, and the forum.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I agree with you in some ways gozzer and with John Weddup in others. As you say a forum post does have a life of its own and from what I remember almost all of my own threads have deviated to other topics along the way. I dont think anyone can control how these threads change direction as it is just the way with a forum and differences in advice or opinion. It may be a good idea for completely off topic replies/unrelated arguments to things to be put in a new thread rather than clog up another where the poster was looking for advice and instead has to wade through an argument to try and find the one or two helpful posts.

A new member would also almost certainly be put off the forum by outbursts in his own thread and I have to admit the air of hostility around the forum recently nearly made me look for another place to talk about our sport as it was just getting really personal and almost childish and it wasnt a nice place to be. Maybe a sticky would be a good idea called 'a bloody good argument' and people can just argue on there instead lol. ;)

I think blogging is good as a way to collect all your reports in one area but unless people are actively following your blog or you put up a post mentioning a new post in your blog they do not get as much attention as a post in the main forum and if you are looking to reach a wider audience to either pass on experiences or advice then posting on the forum certainly achieves that and gives those who do not actively follow blogs a chance to see the reports. I havent had one comment on my blog but then when I post on here to say there is a new report in the blog then people have the chance to go and have a look and ask questions if they want to or simply comment on your pictures etc.

I guess it all comes down to how you take things on a personal level. I know some forums do not allow off topic discussions on threads and demand that you start another thread in the relevant section of the site. Personally I dont mind much if a topic I have started veers off on a tangent but others who are new to forums etc may feel offended or just baffled as to what is going on.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I'm guilty of drifting off topic, but I agree that fishing eports as a blog are great...they tend towards a personal record and therefore more useful.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I really hate to get enticed in to a topic by the title or subject and then find just another link or to be instructed to "read my blog".

Unless rigorously controlled (which does happen on some forums) topics go off the subject on just about every forum I've known, that's just the way of the internet, I don't see it as a bad thing provided the purpose of the original post is not lost or abandoned.

All,

I noticed the price of gold was up again today! WoW!

Phone

(sorry, I just can't help myself)

Wupping cane for you mister! :bangin:

John.

Edited by gozzer

All,

I noticed the price of gold was up again today! WoW!

Phone

(sorry, I just can't help myself)

So why don't I just knock your teeth out for you because being american they will be huge and full of expensive gold.

You can weigh them in and buy more fishing gear and it will leave more room for you to put your foot in your mouth.

Of course you may not have heard of that quaint old english saying when making a faux pas of putting my foot in my mouth.

To use your quote

I just can't help myself

John

:D:D