Australian Carp Article

Elton

gozzer,

I nicked this from Wotnot"s article on you'uns river health.

""...said: "Britain's rivers are the healthiest for over 20 years, and otters, salmon and other wildlife are returning for the first time since the industrial revolution."" Probably due to the introduction of carp.

Phone

gozzer,

""...said: "Britain's rivers are the healthiest for over 20 years, and otters, salmon and other wildlife are returning for the first time since the industrial revolution."" Probably due to the introduction of carp.

Phone

I'd heard you yanks were gullible, but even you shouldn't believe politicians, or the press. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

Phone

"Britain's rivers are the healthiest for over 20 years, and otters, salmon and other wildlife are returning for the first time since the industrial revolution.....With Defra's £110m funding to help clean up England's rivers and the extensive work being done by the Environment Agency, water companies and landowners, we're already seeing fish and mammals, including salmon and otters, thriving once more,"

Would perhaps have been more relevant Phone

To my knowledge no carp have been deliberately introduced into UK rivers, it's illegal. Some rivers that have them have seen a decline in other species. If you read and inwardly digest the article that you picked your quote from you will see that there are strict regulations that must be adhered to, politically, legally and because of common-sense..........it does not include the introduction of carp into rivers or into waterbodies from where they can escape to rivers.

Read between the lines and you'll see that the only people who want carp in the country are carp anglers. The tackle producers and carp fisheries exploit the carp anglers and we end up with the "carp circus", a money making concern that has actual or potentially damaging impacts on the rest of the country's ecology...No 'normal' person wants that Phone!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

I added the carp part just to "iss" you guys off. Guess I'll set the hook now.

Phone

And you think that's a good idea?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Click the arrow button next to the smiley face in the 5th box on the bar above the text box when replying and choose and click :P

Worms,

Ohh! :lol::lol::lol:

Does it work if I use the "fast reply"? That's what I usually do.

I have to go play bridge with my little ole blue haired ladies now. I consider myself "one up". Take your best shot but be forewarned I'm what you Brits would call a "hard water". B)

Phone

No idea about the fast reply Phone.

...........you consider yourself "one up"?.....you mean as you were in 'nam?

B)

I'm not too sure about the legality of stocking rivers with carp Nick. I seem to remember some being stocked into the R Lea, not too long ago. Maybe someone could confirm or deny this.

There haven't been any legal stocking of carp in the Yorks rivers, but it makes no difference. They have been legally stocked into the canals, and surprisingly a canal usually has a river at one end, or even both ends.

I had a dig around for the legislation covering the stocking of rivers, and came on this little piece that I think that Phone will enjoy.

It's from the EA guide to running a fishery.

A well-documented example of how the ecological balance

of a water can be disturbed is the introduction of common

carp. Due to the feeding behaviour of this species, large

numbers can rapidly lead to a reduction in submerged

aquatic vegetation and a rise in the turbidity of the water.

With fewer plants, reduced light penetration and an

increase in available nutrients, more problematic varieties

of plant such as blanket weed or algae often increase.

Once this upset has occurred, it is extremely hard to reverse

the process.

The presence of algal blooms can lead to wide fluctuations

in dissolved oxygen between night and day. In addition, the

seasonal nature of algal blooms causes them eventually to

die off, or “crash”. The resulting dead and decaying algae

put a huge demand on available oxygen, reducing that

available for other aquatic life. In severe cases, mortalities of

fish and invertebrates can result

That sounds to me like it's saying, carp can create "crappy" water conditions. Eh Phone? :P

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John