Stret-pegging

Alan Stubbs

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your showing your age there Dave ;):lol:

I'd suggest that metaphorically speaking, he is still a damned sight younger than I fell this week!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

All,

So, as the thread winds down is there a consensus or even a majority of what "Stret-pegging" really is?

It must not be a "common" term for any particular method of angling?

From square one, can it be defined in 30 words or less?

Phone

All,

So, as the thread winds down is there a consensus or even a majority of what "Stret-pegging" really is?

No, we've been around this house before. Geographic differences and prominent anglers' different opinions make it hard to pin down. I know what it is and so that's what I'll do when I'm stret pegging, others know what it is too and they'll do something different.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

No, we've been around this house before. Geographic differences and prominent anglers' different opinions make it hard to pin down. I know what it is and so that's what I'll do when I'm stret pegging, others know what it is too and they'll do something different.

best answer!

gone

I have a question on stret-pegging.

I have attempted this using an over shotted float or, by using a diagram by Wilson, with one ssg on the main line and two on a sliding link. On both rigs I have found that the float ends up being violently thrashed about in the flow and causing a great disturbance when lifting the rod tip. The only way I seem to be able to stop this is to keep the rod held high all the time.

What is it i'm doing wrong? I have tried increasing the length of bow in line or am I trying it where the flow is too fast?

In theory seems a great way of finding the hollows on an uneven river bed. Perhaps picking out the bigger barbel on a float rig.

I have a question on stret-pegging.

I have attempted this using an over shotted float or, by using a diagram by Wilson, with one ssg on the main line and two on a sliding link. On both rigs I have found that the float ends up being violently thrashed about in the flow and causing a great disturbance when lifting the rod tip. The only way I seem to be able to stop this is to keep the rod held high all the time.

What is it i'm doing wrong? I have tried increasing the length of bow in line or am I trying it where the flow is too fast?

In theory seems a great way of finding the hollows on an uneven river bed. Perhaps picking out the bigger barbel on a float rig.

You need to keep your rod tip pretty much directly upstream and inline from your float and keep your line tightened up so your float lays flat (but will tilt up now and again with the current) and keep your line off the water between float and rod tip. Always put your shot on a sliding link so the fish feel no or very little resistance. You can use a feeder if you wish. It's a close quarter method so you really are virtually fishing off the rod tip or withinn a few yards at most.

Edited by Tigger

Thanks Tigger, that is, more or less, how I was making it work. If it is only close quarters method, how are you supposed to search the swim that way? Obviously governed by how far you are able to to keep the line off the water surface.

I was attempting the method exactly as you said when I had a savage take which resulted in the hook being pulled straight when trying to prevent the fish reaching somebodies garden waste. Drennan Carbon Chub off the buy again list now!

Changed to Kamasan xtra strong which resulted in 6lb bottom snapping on next take. Fish made off without me even getting a glimpse, I could follow its progress as someone elses float was following behind it. Really wanted to catch it to relieve it of all that tackle.

Been back twice but chased away by a bull. Waited till cattle moved out of field just giving me chance for one cast and hooked into another good fish resulting in a 8.6lb barbel. Unfortunatly a clean fish, not caught before, so will be heading back again, with heavier gear, just in case.