Stret-pegging

Alan Stubbs

What bernard Venables calls stret pegging is what I would call holding back at intervals through a swim. As far as I am aware fishing overdepth and overshotted so dragging bottom then holding back at intervals to hold position until line is released enabling the bait to carry on downstream is also called stret pegging.

Fishing over depth and having a static bait is called laying on...a form of float ledgerring I belive (although John Wilson calls it stret pegging).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very satisfying that what got me excited appears to have got people talking and teaching.

Thanks everyone.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Nice one mate! I (for what its worth) would say you were "float ledgering"

I think the way I would differentiate between "laying on" and "stret pegging" in flowing waters though would be to say that laying on would use a normally set up and shotted stick float rig but fished way over depth and held from moving downstream.The float "cocked" at an angle by this.

"Stret pegging" I would be using a set up more like "float ledgering" but the float would lay flat on the surface (not "cocked") with a bow of line (between lead and float) going down stream in the current.

Both methods are fished static but by lifting up the rod you can move the rig down stream a bit to slowly search it.Simply moving it then waiting a period for a bite and if none is forthcoming move it a bit more.

I would term "holding back" as using standard top and bottom floats trotted down stream but retarded so that the hook is traveling in front of the float rather than being dragged behind. "holding back hard" would be completely stopping the trotting set up and allowing the bait to rise up well above the bottom.Normally done at the end of the trot.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There have been several interesting threads on the subject of stret-pegging

Here is one of them, concerning the definition of the method and the nature of the bites you get.

Those slamming bites alone are why stret-pegging is worth a try!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Stret-P...l=Stret+pegging

There are several others that a search will reveal

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nice one mate! I (for what its worth) would say you were "float ledgering"

I think the way I would differentiate between "laying on" and "stret pegging" in flowing waters though would be to say that laying on would use a normally set up and shotted stick float rig but fished way over depth and held from moving downstream.The float "cocked" at an angle by this.

"Stret pegging" I would be using a set up more like "float ledgering" but the float would lay flat on the surface (not "cocked") with a bow of line (between lead and float) going down stream in the current.

Both methods are fished static but by lifting up the rod you can move the rig down stream a bit to slowly search it.Simply moving it then waiting a period for a bite and if none is forthcoming move it a bit more.

I would term "holding back" as using standard top and bottom floats trotted down stream but retarded so that the hook is traveling in front of the float rather than being dragged behind. "holding back hard" would be completely stopping the trotting set up and allowing the bait to rise up well above the bottom.Normally done at the end of the trot.

I thought stret-pegging was a style of fishing over-depth, but shot to give minimum initial resistance when the bait is taken. To me, 'holding back' was something I did as an integral part of trotting.

Confusing, this fishing stuff!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

My idea of strett pegging is a method that enables you to fish a static bait in a flowing river. This comes from dun dun dunnnnnn JOHN WILSON!! I have a book at home, i will post an exert tonight!

Method certainly pre-dates Mr Wilson - it's described in 'Fine Angling for Coarse Fish' which was published just after the war (least my copy was!) and I'm sure if I try I could find even earlier references....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

There are many variations on stret-pegging. The one I use most, is in water with a max depth of about 5ft, (3to4 being ideal). I over shot my float, with anything up to twice the amount. Set the top float rubber lower than normal, to help keep the tip showing. I fish over depth, with just one tell tale shot on the bottom, (size varies according to water, float, bait etc). My bulk is split into two, one directly under the float, and the other a few inches from the bottom. I hold back hard, keeping the rod tip low to the water, this makes the tip rise. Hold back hard for a while, lift rod and release some line, (the tell tale will move the bait). Then hold back hard again. I allows me to cover a swim gradually, and the bites can be very delicate, or rod tip bangers, depending on the species.

This has got me fish especially when the river is up, and the fish are finicky.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ok from the man himself. Can i just say, i never said or thought Mr Wilson invented this method. Here we go..

..."Stret-pegging is a highly effective method both in summer and winter. This involves presenting a static bait on the riverbed below a float attached top and bottom" then some blaaa blaaa then ..."the float is fished below the expected depth". some more blaaa blaaaa

Hmmmm as i read on it says "the float should lie flat on the surface, if it disappears or tries to cock, lengthen the line between float and hook"

Re reading this has only served to confuse me more, but im really eager to try this now! Maybe i could have a weekend off the crap OH MY GOD I MEAN CARP!!!!! :lol:

gone

Method certainly pre-dates Mr Wilson - it's described in 'Fine Angling for Coarse Fish' which was published just after the war (least my copy was!) and I'm sure if I try I could find even earlier references....

It is also described in the first edition of "Fine Angling for Coarse Fish", published in 1930

You want an earlier reference ? Try John Bickerdyke's "The Book of the All-round Angler"

My copy published in 1888.

He describes the method perfectly, but calls it "Tight Corking"

Jim Bazley also writes about it in his book of 1936

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...