Bream & Zander - Why are they found together?

Dales

I should also say that it isn't a cut-and-dried kind of thing. There is certainly a correlation between bream and zander, but zander are also caught from bream-free (at the time) areas too. There are definitely specific types of underwater features and favoured depths and flows that zander like, regardless of bream.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how much weight to put to the theory as few anglers will be simultaneously fishing for bream and Zander.

Despite the risk of making this a self fulfilling corolation, I'll certainly be checking match reports for the lower Severn before I have a crack at the Zander this autumn though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Most of my Fenland Zandering has been targeting big fish.There is certainly no relation between big Zander and bream. However I have heard so many times from so many different people that it must be true for schoolie Zeds.

Certainly cant be because they regard them as prey as the average Fen shoal bream is far to big for the average schoolie Zed. Colored water? well Zeds definitely feed better when the water is coloured (unlike the pike who prefer the water clear, but not sure if this is the reason. As already mentioned I think the most plausible answer is the prey fish are attracted to the stirring up of food that a large shoal of bream can cause.

I don't know for sure but regard it as a fact to be accepted and used.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm in two minds about the stirring up the bottom theory, now I think about it. When bait fishing at night, coloured water is usually best. However, the little bits of zander fishing I've done recently has been with lures in daylight, and the clearer the water the better. As soon as it colours up (especially if there is suspended sediment) it gets very hard.

However, the zander are still usually around the bream.

I reckon it may be more to do with a shoaling instinct than anything else. Thoughts?

This is the kind of 'bread and butter' fish I'm talking about:

DSCF2012.jpg

Much more civilised to catch them in the sunshine in summer than shivering at night in a bivvy in the middle of winter! I'm indebted to a friend for inviting me along with him a few times, it's been something of a revelation, and good fun getting to grips with lots of new skills.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This is the kind of 'bread and butter' fish I'm talking about:

Mmmm, zander sandwich...

drooling_homer.png

(Sorry, I'm absolutely starving and dinner isn't quite ready)

Dales,

You're not going to believe this - I don't know much about zander.

Once a year I go zander fishing in Chamberland SD (world famous zander). I have hired the same guide for years (maybe 15). His employees go out at night and locate the fish and leave marker floats for in the morning (at dawn we leave in the boat). When we catch our "legal limit" we fill out the guides tag by lure fishing at the edge of the cloud (what I believe you are calling colored water(?)). It seems our lure caught fish hang in that edge and dart into clear water then back. The lure fish are either huge or small. There is a slot limit (forgive me, I don't know what the slot limit is) that is something like more than 6 lbs but less than 12 lbs (I made those numbers up but they are close).

There is a cafe that cleans and prepares your fish for supper that same night.

Ohh, probably 8 out of 10 years we bottom bounce lobworms (nightcrawlers). Do you guys use bottom bouncers?

That's all I know about zander.

Phone

Edit zander = walleye

Edited by Phone

surely you can't tell the difference between "not there", "not feeding" and "not getting fooled again"? :g:

As a Scots ghillie once said

"It's gey bad when they're no feeding, and it's wuss when they're no there"

But sometimes you can tell the difference - seeing fish (ie they are there) but not being able to catch them.

....and sometimes seeing fish feeding but not taking bait.

EG Trout taking natural flies but refusing your artificial, or carp eating floating dog biscuits but refusing the one on a hook.

OK, it's more difficult with zander on a fenland drain, but you get my drift ?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As a Scots ghillie once said

"It's gey bad when they're no feeding, and it's wuss when they're no there"

But sometimes you can tell the difference - seeing fish (ie they are there) but not being able to catch them.

....and sometimes seeing fish feeding but not taking bait.

EG Trout taking natural flies but refusing your artificial, or carp eating floating dog biscuits but refusing the one on a hook.

OK, it's more difficult with zander on a fenland drain, but you get my drift ?

Or the entire Rother Mullet population swimming around your float and not catching one!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!