Carp on the dry fly

Sportsman

I posted this originally on the fly forum but knowing how much everyone on here like talking and reading about carp I thought I would give you all the benefit :P

It's been a while since I fly fished, I have been a bit preoccupied with coarse fishing and bait but now I have my own lake I can pretty much please myself.

the lake has a very good stock of coarse fish including decent Rudd and some Chub and of course Carp.

Rudd were to be the target and fishing was to be from my float tube. There are a lot of trees around the lake which makes casting from the bank difficult but the tube is perfect.

I tackled up with a 5wt 9' rod, floating line and 5lb leader. I wasn't sure what to try so went with a red and white okey dokey buzzer to start. This proved a good choice with a nice 12oz rudd on my first cast. I thought this is going to be easy but this proved not to be the case. I discovered that Rudd spook a lot easier than trout. I also discovered that bites are nowhere near as obvious. I tried a few flies and over the next hour I managed to wheedle out around a dozen between 8ozs and a pound.

I was fishing around a snag with an APS bloodworm imitation when everything went solid and I thought I had hooked the snag. The snag then took off down the lake at a rate of knots, completely unstoppable. Seems like the carp had arrived

There is a little bay near the outflow and some fish were rising there so I thought OK I will come back for the carp another day with more suitable tackle, meanwhile back to the Rudd.

I tied on a size 16 Sparkle Gnat, one of my favourites and cast to the rising fish. The fly landed for a heartbeat and disappeared in a swirl. I had either hooked a record Rudd or another carp Quite a few minutes later I landed a pristine common around 4 lb, cast again and away we went once more. In total I had 8 carp, all on the Sparkle Gnat and all around 3-5lb and what a fight they gave on light tackle. All in all one of the most enjoyable couple of hours fishing I can remember.

I have caught plenty of large trout over the years, including quite a few in double figures but for power these carp had them all beat.

If you get the chance, take it

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Most of my fly fishing is done for coarse fish these days. As you say, bites or takes aren't as obvious as when trout fishing and you have to be aware of the subtle browsing behaviour nature of coarse fish rather then the hunting behaviour of trout. With chub I either stalk them so I can see the fish take the fly or use a nymph under a EHC fly New Zealand style. Sometimes I will put a strike indicator on and watch that for an indication. The hardest fish to hit are dace. When dry fly fishing for them you have to anticipate their take and strike almost before they actually take the fly. When wet fly fishing for them this is even more critical.

If you have perch in your lake try the Apps bloodworm near to reeds. Just cast it in and let it sink naturally while watching the leader or strike indicator for any suspicious movement. Roach and rudd seem to prefer shrimp imitations similar to a Sawyers Killer Bug, but more orange / brown in colour.

Once you have cracked that and are feeling really confident try going down to the harbour and casting a fly to the mullet. That will bring you down to earth :lol:

Regards, Clive

Most of my fly fishing is done for coarse fish these days. As you say, bites or takes aren't as obvious as when trout fishing and you have to be aware of the subtle browsing behaviour nature of coarse fish rather then the hunting behaviour of trout.

You can say that again, I did a bit of fly fishing for small rudd in the summer, and they can be absolute swines! Trout are a bit on the dim and greedy side.

Another cracking evening after the Rudd. Had a shedload on a small grey duster. As it got darker I changed to a larger white wulff and had 3 double figure carp, two mid teens and one just scraping 10.

I am going for a lay down now, my arm hurts :P

Another cracking evening after the Rudd. Had a shedload on a small grey duster. As it got darker I changed to a larger white wulff and had 3 double figure carp, two mid teens and one just scraping 10.

I am going for a lay down now, my arm hurts :P

Git ! :P

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

The hardest fish to hit are dace. When dry fly fishing for them you have to anticipate their take and strike almost before they actually take the fly.

Works with bleak and rudd also - strike when you see the mouth open.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sportsman,

Do these count? Carp are very opportunistic and will eat grasshoppers, mayfly duns, caddis and even cottonwood seeds. I have a 7 ft casting rod; spincast reel with a floating mono. I use an icecube for casting distance and strip the line just like you might as soon as the ice melts. Works rarely but when carp are occupied eating - they are eating.

Ohh, my favorite "dry fly" is a piece of styrofoam cup with a yellow spot and a black spot (magic marker). Make it look like bird droppings. To be used at dusk under a bridge roost.

Phone

Sportsman,

Do these count? Carp are very opportunistic and will eat grasshoppers, mayfly duns, caddis and even cottonwood seeds. I have a 7 ft casting rod; spincast reel with a floating mono. I use an icecube for casting distance and strip the line just like you might as soon as the ice melts. Works rarely but when carp are occupied eating - they are eating.

Ohh, my favorite "dry fly" is a piece of styrofoam cup with a yellow spot and a black spot (magic marker). Make it look like bird droppings. To be used at dusk under a bridge roost.

Phone

Phone

How y'all doin?

It all counts for me