Science in action MkII

gozzer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Physics Prize: Philippe Perrin and colleagues for determining why discus throwers become dizzy, and why hammer throwers don't.

Err... That's biology (or medicine) not physics.

Didn't Frankie Boyle do a routine taking the mick out of scientists ?

Something like:

"Shall we cure cancer ?"

"Nah, I'm gonnae see how many fruit pastels it takes tae choke a kestrel..."

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I liked this one. :thumbs:

Peace Prize: Arturas Zuokas, the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania, for demonstrating that the problem of illegally parked luxury cars can be solved by running them over with an armoured tank.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Newtonian mechanics and physiology by the looks of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10894415/

The trouble with science today is that most of the corner and edge pieces of the jigsaw are in place, so you spend a lifetime fitting together the grass in the background!

Didn't Frankie Boyle do a routine taking the mick out of scientists ?

Something like:

"Shall we cure cancer ?"

"Nah, I'm gonnae see how many fruit pastels it takes tae choke a kestrel..."

clap.gifis it in the interest to cure "cancer" there would be many companies out of a job along with their scientists if they do ;)

have we cured the common cold if we had just where would the vicks sinex and night nurse companies get their money from! common cold "remedies" sold must be in the billions! companies are not going to throw that away ,if some scientist found a cure i am positive it would be bought and would disappear for far less than the income from "remedies"

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What a bloody strange animal. :o

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

clap.gifis it in the interest to cure "cancer" there would be many companies out of a job along with their scientists if they do ;)

have we cured the common cold if we had just where would the vicks sinex and night nurse companies get their money from! common cold "remedies" sold must be in the billions! companies are not going to throw that away ,if some scientist found a cure i am positive it would be bought and would disappear for far less than the income from "remedies"

Is that really what you think? Do you REALLY think that if a cure was found for "cancer" that scientists would withhold it so that they could carry on researching for something that they had already found?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Is that really what you think? Do you REALLY think that if a cure was found for "cancer" that scientists would withhold it so that they could carry on researching for something that they had already found?

if there was £billions hanging on it yes!

as i said most scientists work for big companies its not commercial sense to lose a vast income ,if the "cure" brought in more than the remedy then perhaps they would but their income would grow less as the cure become cheaper

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if there was £billions hanging on it yes!
Your off your head chesters. Don't judge the whole world by your own standards. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

why not hundreds of billions are spent on guns and ammo that kill people why would huge industries give a hoot for anyone but their own wealth

you only need to look at the exploding petrol tank fiasco to see how their mind works ,how many people would be killed by beko fridges if it was only known by beko they were death traps?

the worlds run by big companies and governments do their bidding ,smoking is not banned here yet its a known killer ,money from fag companies ? a nice seat on the board?

you will say its the government not being a nanny state and stopping freewill but they ban things that kill far less ,strange you think "standards" are mine

Edited by chesters1