Front drag or rear drag reels...

Rob Ward

Front Drag or Rear Drag  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Front Drag
    • Rear Drag

Andy, (and others who "back-wind")

I admit, I use what I use so I don't "shop" reels often. I further admit I have given away enough rods and reels to have kept me in the "poor house". My point is, I don't have, or can't think of, a reel I currently have that will "back-wind".

How many modern reels will back-wind? (regardless of the location of the drag).

Phone

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, (and others who "back-wind")

I admit, I use what I use so I don't "shop" reels often. I further admit I have given away enough rods and reels to have kept me in the "poor house". My point is, I don't have, or can't think of, a reel I currently have that will "back-wind".

How many modern reels will back-wind? (regardless of the location of the drag).

Phone

All of mine, but none of them are exactly what I'd call modern. Like you I use what I have. The only time I buy a new reel is when an old one wears out. I mostly buy ABU and most of them are so old that they all have "Made in Sweden" stamped on them.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Phone you can back wind with any fixed spool reel that has an anti reverse lever and as I cant think of one that doesnt that means all!

The Penn Captiva doesn't have one

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

That's what I do to. Set it with a spring balance, then just about forget it.

i never have ,just having a line that breaks at the correct poundage would be a start ,how do you allow for knots.

i just pull the line from the tip of the rods if it refuses to come its over tight and if i hit myself in the face its to loose :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

how do you allow for knots.

i just pull the line from the tip of the rods if it refuses to come its over tight and if i hit myself in the face its to loose :D

8 lb breaking strain, 6lb drag at the balance. Plus maybe a little bit of face hitting ploy. :P How do you allow for knots if yo adjust the drag when tour playing a fish? Tighten it up and try to feel what is going on and hope you don't tighten up to much or that the fish doesn't make a redoubled effort whilst you are fiddling about. Sounds like a good way to lose a fish, buggering about with your drag with cold numb fingers in the dark or half dark.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

8 lb breaking strain, 6lb drag at the balance. Plus maybe a little bit of face hitting ploy. :P How do you allow for knots if yo adjust the drag when tour playing a fish? Tighten it up and try to feel what is going on and hope you don't tighten up to much or that the fish doesn't make a redoubled effort whilst you are fiddling about. Sounds like a good way to lose a fish, buggering about with your drag with cold numb fingers in the dark or half dark.

I always adjust my drag through a fight with a powerfull fish. You should be able to gauge the ammount of strain on your line ok unless your a novice :P:lol:

Don't forget Cory, when you use a centrepin your finger or thumb is your drag.

Don't forget Cory, when you use a centrepin your finger or thumb is your drag.
Never used one, don't ever intend to either.