Wheelchair user calls for disabled access adjustments at fishing spot

Elton

Shame Victor isnt female as he would then tick all three boxes for screaming inequality/discrimination...................

"COMMON SENSE" dont see much of that these days do we? Of course the owner shouldnt be expected to make an acsess road to the lake for Victor (but then a wheel chair friendly path might not be too much to ask for as all would no doubt benifit from it) But surely the simple option would be to allow (or even offer to drive the car back for him) Victor or anyone else in a similar situation to drive to their swim and drop their gear off? But then again as I dont know the venue maybe (Dave?) this simply isnt practical ie soft ground etc?

Yes I think its right that owners make the effort to help people but should it be made a legal obligation? I do think that also Victor (and in deed all of us in a similar position) needss to play ball on the "common sense" front as well and accept that some fisheries are simply not suitable for him.

Where do we draw the line? and thats the trouble as soon as legislation is brought in to replace "common sense" a set "standard" is introduced and descretion is no longer an option.

We whine about being controlled and over regulated but then demand such! MADNESS.

It doesnt really take the Wisdom of Solomon or legislation surely? if Victor cant get to the waters edge there and the owner cant/wont help then he should go somewhere else he can acsess and let them have his cash!

Discrimination is the most over abused word of todays mad world.

Oh yeagh before the PC fluffy brigade have a go remember that Im "dissabled" as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dissabled? is that super disabled :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm pretty sure that there is legislation already in place covering disabled access. This does cover fisheries. Which obviously means theres an enormous financial burden to all clubs, owners etc.

Personally I disagree with it ,much preferring a natural look. Having said that, being disabled myself I have to pick venues that suit me.

Budgie - I wouldn't care to drive my car to the waters edge there - even though its all-wheel drive

..but then, ask Lutra. We have had conversations like

Lutra "You can drive right down to the river!"

Vags "Ay, mebbe, but can you drive back up again?"

as I dont know the venue maybe (Dave?) this simply isnt practical ie soft ground etc?
Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It doesnt really take the Wisdom of Solomon or legislation surely? if Victor cant get to the waters edge there and the owner cant/wont help then he should go somewhere else he can acsess and let them have his cash!
The law is quite clear on this

The Act makes it unlawful for service providers, landlords and other persons to discriminate against disabled people in certain circumstances.

The duties on service providers are being introduced in three stages:

since 2 December 1996 it has been unlawful for service providers to treat disabled people less favourably for a reason related to their disability;

since 1 October 1999 service providers have had to make 'reasonable adjustments' for disabled people, such as providing extra help or making changes to the way they provide their services; and

from 1 October 2004 service providers may have to make other 'reasonable adjustments' in relation to the physical features of their premises to overcome physical barriers to access.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

its all down to "reasonable" and what's reasonable for one may not be for another

is it reasonable for a council to make a wheelchair ramp several miles long to enable a wheelchair user to get to visit a top flat of a block of flats incase the lift broke down?

the wheelchair user may say yes ,the builder would certainly say yes ,the council may even say yes but would the tax payer? ,would the chap living next to it being overshadowed by it say yes and would the mother of a kid that found it fun hurtling down it on a skateboard say yes whilst weeping at his funeral?

in some cases it can be extremely unreasonable asking for something fairly reasonable ,is it reasonable sainsbury is so far away i get blisters walking to it! if i was disabled could i insist it was brought closer?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

its all down to "reasonable" and what's reasonable for one may not be for another

is it reasonable for a council to make a wheelchair ramp several miles long to enable a wheelchair user to get to visit a top flat of a block of flats incase the lift broke down?

the wheelchair user may say yes ,the builder would certainly say yes ,the council may even say yes but would the tax payer? ,would the chap living next to it being overshadowed by it say yes and would the mother of a kid that found it fun hurtling down it on a skateboard say yes whilst weeping at his funeral?

in some cases it can be extremely unreasonable asking for something fairly reasonable ,is it reasonable sainsbury is so far away i get blisters walking to it! if i was disabled could i insist it was brought closer?

Your just being unreasonable. The designer of the site should have planned for wheelchair access from day one.

Besides that, your argument is a straw man.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

a straw man could float up on a balloon up the stair well :rolleyes:

hmmm thinking about it were wheelchairs visualised in having tow paths alongside most canals? now that is forward thinking :D

Edited by chesters1

The definition of disabled is pretty vague. Most people seem to associate disabled with wheelchairs. This is not always the case, as there are many types of disability that have nothing to do with wheelchairs or missing/damaged body parts. Just watch the para-Olympics !! So what is the definition of disabled friendly ??

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

i think i read somewhere 60 to 70% of humans are disabled in some way ,from colour blindness to quadriplegia its a disablement i suppose in some form or other depending what your doing ,those sprung legs in the advert look like they help let the bloke run but i guess i wouldn't go rock climbing with them

some disabled people are marvellous ,one chap parks in a disabled bay and hefts 2 hundred weight of tackle 300 yards without stopping for breath ,i wish i was as disabled as him :(

on the other hand one refuses to use a bay and takes half an hour to get to the nearest swim with several stops ,knowing both over the years i can bet my last quid it would be the first one that complains if the bank is a little muddy

Edited by chesters1