Lures on the Deck

Dales

Say for instance , I am spinning for salmon & i do any UnNatural

move the fish will instantly stop following the lure

more so if it lies on the bottom

The fish is interested in the movement & vibration

not a lump of metal , plastic or wood lying on the river bed :rolleyes:

How about a static few twists of chenille and marabu...or a few twists of pheasant tail? I have set my fly rod down in stillwaters several times to see the line run out and tighten into a fish. I dont think anyone is really suggesting static lures as 'good' but it does happen, and how do you know what the salmon following your lure behave like? you may see some of 'em, but unless you only fish small shallow gin clear streams on bright days (with polaroids on) the most of the fish who follow your lure you will never see.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I am not pushing it as a good method and making any claims that it will improve your catches but I am curious if any one does it as the chap who does it catches well. He does not turn up cast in and leave the lure all day put wonders up and down the river working lures but will stop from time to time and leave the lure on the river bed while having a break and does get takes. As a kid I thought this was normal to fish lures in such a way. Once I got older and was taught how to fish the correct way :rolleyes: I now find it odd.

But nothing wrong with not following perceived wisdom.

Your right

I never doubt anyones method

Hey if it works for you Great

I am not on here to preach or teach

remember NOBODY is right or wrong

We are all just discussing methods & tactics

I hope i never came over as disrespecting you

Sorry if it sounded that way

I will give your method a thought or 2

next time i cast my lures Mate :D

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

All,

Much if not all my carp fishing is done with "static" artifical bait. I guess you would call it "lure fishing" since it is not a natural food source (or even food). Often just a wooden bead.

One of my favorite carp fishing spots is under a bridge where birds roost above. With 15 lb line, and a piece of styrofoam cup you can cast a regular carp outfit like a flyrod. It just lays there static until a bird poops nearby. Then carp move in. Stupid carp. It's really fun antipication - you can almost predict when your "turn" will come.

Phone

You will have many Blank sessions , If you fish a lure like that

i can assure you any wild river fish i take on any of my lures would NEVER touch them on the bottom

I have fished in FISH FARMS before stuffed with rainbows , who would eat anything But if my lure

made it to the river bed They would NEVER touch it in a Million years

the lure is all about movement , Vibration & flash

Sorry i just dont buy this method

Also what a boring way to fish :angry:

What I was getting at was that the pike would have its attention attracted by the moving (sinking) food but would sometimes then watch it motionless for some time before taking it - so I wonder if it is not the case that these fish are just picking up a static lure, but rather that they were already interested in it before it hit the bottom. We don't know how long they were looking at it before they took it.

Not suggesting it as a method, just looking to understand what is actually happening in the situation described.

Years ago fly fishing a gin clear lake I threw in a jersey herd which had been damaged. I could see it very clearly lying on the bottom. It suddenly disappeared and a brownie swam away.

Ive fished one or two trout fisheries where casting out a lure (fly) on a fast sink line and leaving it to sink to the bottom (ledgering) would catch you fish. On one small fishery where you could reach the fish pens and leave it to sink under them, it could catch you some big well mended trout at times (double figure, mint condition, fin perfect browns and rainbows) and even an odd nice perch.

Talk on the bank was that these fish had learnt to ignore anything that moved and just feed on what food was static on the bottom, of which there was plenty under the trout pegs (pellets). The last time i fished this busy small fishery i fished static under the pens and caught a very bonny 7lb brownie. I was told by the bailiff on the way off it was the first brownie he had seen for three years and they hadn't stocked any for four years.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

What I was getting at was that the pike would have its attention attracted by the moving (sinking) food but would sometimes then watch it motionless for some time before taking it - so I wonder if it is not the case that these fish are just picking up a static lure, but rather that they were already interested in it before it hit the bottom. We don't know how long they were looking at it before they took it.

That does make sense.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

i used to fish a floating plug that was tethered to the bottom by about a foot of wire with a 1oz drilled bullet ,this caught fish occasionally when i was rolling a fag but a pike may have been following and decided it was a good time to get its dinner when the plug stopped?

the idea was the plug stayed about a foot off the deck when brought in slowly and the bullet followed the contours and made a bit of a cloud of mud when moving.

only can work on clean bottoms ofcourse but it did catch when ordinary lures failed in ultra clear water when the fish were shy ,thats the good thing about the old close season it gave people time to dream up such oddities :D

never caught anything on a stationary spinner but i have caught tiny roach by the score on non baited gold plated hooks moving or not

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some people fish buoyant flies on a short leader with a fast sinking line - sounds an awful lot like your plug trick.

The flies for this are called boobies - can you see why? ;)

sunburst-and-pink-eye-booby-s12.jpg

I hooked a pike on a stationary lure (a spoon) just yesterday but it slipped the hook. I have caught pike before though on lures on the bottom but only on the odd occasion. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a mainsteam method.

I suspect that fish take lures for 3 main reasons: food, curiosity, and aggression (especially territorial).

Yesterday I think it was probably one of the latter two. Several pike, not just this one, followed my spoon into the bank and then looked closely at it before "headbutting" it.

In the past I've left a lure (usually a soft plastic) on the bottom after a follow for anything up to a minute. On several occasions I've caught these pike by then giving the lure a sharp twitch. It doesn't work that often, but sufficiently so to give it a try.

If it doesn't I find that a change of lure is often productive, as is coming back later.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net