Must have lure selection - What would it be.

Dales

I would not consider my self a major lure angler and tend to use them more when bait it not working or when I am short of time and they are easy to grab and cover a large area of water. I tend to lure fish more abroad then at home as they are a convient way to fish on holiday and you seem to encounter more predatory species abroad and it's much easier to get the lures out then try to source bait.

Even though I don't lure fish that often I have still amassed a big selection of lures, many that I doubt will ever get used. I have my favourite styles/patterns of lures that work for me on the places that I fish but I still bring more out with me then I could use. I always say to myself I should leave more at home but then the what if's come in to play and I bring a few extra anyway :rolleyes:

I think if you are already in to lure fishing and have a big selection (It's so easy to become a lure collector and not just angler) then it would be hard to tie yourself down to just a handful of lures.

But if you had to start from scratch, what would be your 5 must have lures that you would buy to cover a whole host of species and venues. Can it be done?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dales,

"Must have" is a hard question. If you have to lure fish you have to have more than FIVE. So what if you can only use one at a time.

I am sitting here making up my "list" and these are the catagories I can visualize in my stuff. Soft plastic (worm, jig), crankbait, spinner, jig, spoon. And a very life like mouse.

Target Species is going to make a BIG difference don't you think. I bet Newt has enough soft plastic worms rigged in various colors, sizes, styles (Carolina, Texas, etc) to fill a box all by themselves.

Phone

I would not consider my self a major lure angler and tend to use them more when bait it not working or when I am short of time and they are easy to grab and cover a large area of water. I tend to lure fish more abroad then at home as they are a convient way to fish on holiday and you seem to encounter more predatory species abroad and it's much easier to get the lures out then try to source bait.

Even though I don't lure fish that often I have still amassed a big selection of lures, many that I doubt will ever get used. I have my favourite styles/patterns of lures that work for me on the places that I fish but I still bring more out with me then I could use. I always say to myself I should leave more at home but then the what if's come in to play and I bring a few extra anyway :rolleyes:

I think if you are already in to lure fishing and have a big selection (It's so easy to become a lure collector and not just angler) then it would be hard to tie yourself down to just a handful of lures.

But if you had to start from scratch, what would be your 5 must have lures that you would buy to cover a whole host of species and venues. Can it be done?

Kuusamo Professor

Storm wildeye seeker (rainbow trout pattern)

Rapala X rap pop

Rapala fat rap shallow runner

Shakespeare 'Big S'

Not for a range of species, Primarily pike,perch and trout, and for still waters, I have no ideas about lures to fish say an African river, or a midlands canal.

The big spoon is fantastic for trolling,

the 'seeker' is the lure for trout water pike.

The Rapala top lure is so exciting a 'must'

The fatrap is so good for active summer pike in shallow bays

The big S has been such a reliable fish taker over the years, pike perch and big trout on it.

The last 2 may look very similar but behave and can be used quite differently

kuusamo.jpg

storm_wild_seeker_shad_ext.jpg

113_Rapala_XRapPop.jpg

fatrap.jpg

bigs.jpg

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

"Must have" is a hard question. If you have to lure fish you have to have more than FIVE.

Never said it would be easy :D

But it might be interesting for any one new to lure fishing, it might help guide them through the mine field of choices out there.

Between us we fish different venues and for the over sea's guys different species. I am curious if we all throw up a few similar choices, plus we might introduce each other to new lures to try out.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Forgot my selection :D

3. Large Gold Ondex Spinner - Found it very good for Pike and had enough Perch and Trout on it to class it as a good all rounder.

2. Large Rapala Countdown Magnum, Fire Tiger Pattern - OK for Pike, Perch plus Snapper, Grouper etc (can also be used for trolling)

3. Red Head Popper - A must have for fishing in the tropics, everything will have a go at it and good for Pike in the summer at home.

4. Big S Plug - Never had a preference for any pattern. Still takes a fair share of fish despite the vogue for new rubber shads etc

5. Small Silver Mepps with blue spots - Classic trout lure and caught more on this simple lure then any other.

I think if allowed more then I would no doubt add in a few shads and jigs but I guess as I have used some of the more old fashioned lures for longer I perceive them as more successful.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Must haves probably not as any lure will catch if the fish are feeding but a few personal favourites of mine are:

Rubber grub 2-3inches - Good for catching any predatory species and can be rigged various ways.

2.5" Kopyto Classic - Good for perch and pike, can be rigged to suit depth of water

Yogi Jointed Fry - A small lure good for perch and chub but will also tempt the pike when they want something a little smaller.

Spinner Bait 5-14g - Again can be fished at different depths aimed at the pike but perch will hit them.

Bass Pro XPS Lazer Eye Nitro - Perch just seem to love this thing.

As you can see from the above, I lure fish for the smaller species mainly. I like to catch anything and using smaller lures usually means you get at least one hit :D

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Dales,

OK, Ok, ok, I'll stick my neck out (but remember I'm NOT a great lure fisherman)

#1. Mr. Twister curly tail grub - 1/8th oz round jig head (chartreuse w/ black eyes)

#2. Dardevle Spinnie (that’s how it is spelled on the box). This lure is at least 100 years old in concept. It is red-white-red. Mine, from the box I opened is 3 ½ inches long.

#3. I have an original floating Rapala I most often pick the size F11 in basic black over silver (three new unused ones in my box). This lure has 12 hookpoints. Not sure if you can use it?

#4. Mepps Aglia. About 20 (CAUTION! Are your hooks sharp? Half mine aren’t… (bad Phone)

#5. I guess #5 has to be a Johnson Silver Minnow. Almost always fish with white pork rind.

Bonus: Berkley Power Worm. scented soft plastics, by Berkley and the Power Bait series has led the pack for a long time. The 7-inch Power Worm in basic black is a perennial favorite. Texas- or Carolina-rigged, its curled tail undulates as the worm moves through the water. This is probably more for Newt’s largemouth black bass but every walleye (zander) fishermen I’ve ever seen has them at their disposal.

Bonus bonus: Slug-Go I may be a little pretentious offering this. It is not one I see you guys talk about and is perhaps the most successful “different” lure I have for still (slow) water. I’m not trying to “tell you” anything in particular. Take it for what it’s worth.

Slug-Go are nondescript, pencil-like soft plastics are incredibly successful lures, but it takes a little practice to work them right (and I'm not great). Rig a 6-inch, Arkansas shad-color (gray) Slug-Go Texas-style on a size 4/0 offset-shank worm hook (have Newt put up picture). Step down in size as you feel necessary this is my suggestion for zander 2 lb and up. Add no extra weight. Cast the lure just a few feet away so you can see it. Twitch the rod tip, then allow the line to go slack and watch how the lure darts, circles, and seems to die. Twitch and repeat. That's the retrieve that makes this lure plain deadly on all freshwater predators. Really a cool lure to use! I bet it would be a perch killer.

Phone

Easy :)

1. Kopyto 1"

2. Kopyto 2"

3. Kopyto 3"

4. Kopyto 4"

5. Kopyto 5"

Pike, perch and zander all covered there! I will need a selection of jig heads though please...and a few stingers ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Easy :)

1. Kopyto 1"

2. Kopyto 2"

3. Kopyto 3"

4. Kopyto 4"

5. Kopyto 5"

Pike, perch and zander all covered there! I will need a selection of jig heads though please...and a few stingers ;)

Can't get my head around all these new fangled rubber devices. It's witch craft I tell ya :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

When fishing fresh water, I go for barramundi and use these:

barralures.jpg

1st, 7" barrabait 20+ft

2nd, 7" Predatek Viper 12+ft

3rd and 3th 7" barrabaits 20+ft.

About a dozen Reidy's B52's for barra

Kinchant1007.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.