Greatest of all gamefishes

Phone

Good point.

Shad go berserk when hooked - think mullet, think bonefish, think supercharged mackerel.

I have caught both British species, Allis and Thwaite - both by accident - the Allis took a cockle presented on a multi-bait scratching rig from the shore whilst on a species hunt (what a bonus!) the Thwaite fell to feathering tactics at sea.

On each occasion I was convinced I had a mullet on until I could see the fish properly.

So yes, if you were flyfishing for mullet and hooked a shad you would have a real scrap on.

However, I would not fish deliberately for shad, and would urge other AN members not to do so

Two reasons

1. They are a protected species, so nobody has any business to be fishing for them.

2. They fight hard in the water, and continue to thrash wildly when out of the water. Being members of the herring family, their scales are very easily dislodged as a result of all that thrashing about, so even when returned to the water (as the law prescribes) they will be minus several scales - not a good idea for a fish we are trying to protect.

Now I know that Allis shad are heavily protected* but I thought that the Twaite shad were only protected within areas designated as SSSI's.

Your point about shedding scales is very valid though.

* but not so protected that there is a ban on gill-netting in the Bristol channel or anything like that.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the extrapolation then definitely Trout. Only ever caught 2 but they're feisty lil buggers.

Top 5, in no particular order, ignoring the extrapolation rule, just considering 'appropriate' tackle.

Trout

Chub

Pike (Jacks)

Mullet

Eel

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I thought that the Twaite shad were only protected within areas designated as SSSI's

It seems a rather grey area (putting "Twaite Shad protection" into a search engine produces a number of different versions)

The safest course IMHO is to regard them as "protected" full stop.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It seems a rather grey area (putting "Twaite Shad protection" into a search engine produces a number of different versions)

The safest course IMHO is to regard them as "protected" full stop.

If its U.K. game fish then none has more raw power than a river caught salmon

or fresh run sea trout

or a resident large brown trout , That can lie in the Rapids for Fun

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Now I know that Allis shad are heavily protected* but I thought that the Twaite shad were only protected within areas designated as SSSI's.

Your point about shedding scales is very valid though.

* but not so protected that there is a ban on gill-netting in the Bristol channel or anything like that.....

I thought that as well? My only Shad (Twaite) was caught back in the Early mid 70's at Diglis Weir on the Severn. It was quite common then to see anglers targetting and catching them. Totally agree with your veiws re not fishing for either intentionally any more regardless of the law.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I might go and try for one this year

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/allisshad.shtml

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Yes, and take note how many scales have been lost by the fish in the picture - fine if you are going to knock it on the head and eat it. (Does French law allow that? I expect it does.)

Not so clever though if you want to return it.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

Yes, and take note how many scales have been lost by the fish in the picture - fine if you are going to knock it on the head and eat it. (Does French law allow that? I expect it does.)

Not so clever though if you want to return it.

Don't jump to conclusions. The French are promoting catch and release, and they have an outright ban on eel fishing. They aren't as bad as you might think.

Regards, Clive

Don't jump to conclusions. The French are promoting catch and release, and they have an outright ban on eel fishing. They aren't as bad as you might think.

Not jumping to anything , that's why I was asking - though expecting a "yes"

....and "catch and release" for shad could well be useless - for reasons already stated.

.... in any case, if the stocks will bear it, there is nothing "bad" about eating your catch.

RNLI Governor