Targets for 2012

Sportsman

I think too much emphasis is put on targets. I was going to do a little list of what i'd like to catch, but then I thought, i'm not really bothered.

That's what I like about fishing, if i'm by the water on my own or with a friend, catching fish and enjoying the experience...isn't that enough?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

This whole big Roach thing has got me thinking as some of the NAA tillwaters are supposed to hold biggys and see no anglers in the winter .

What weather conditions would you look for Anderoo?? is it a case of waiting for weed to die back??

I'm really not sure yet Steve. I have a friend who fishes for big roach in little commercials in the winter, and he always waits until it's cold enough to slow the carp down. I don't think weed is an issue as these types of lake usually don't have much. It's never really interested me before, but for some reason I can really see me getting into it soon, it would be a whole new challenge, and these days a really good chance of 2lb+ roach. I guess I've finally accepted that big river roach are pretty much gone now, for me at least.

The water I'm thinking of is a small local club lake that's busy in the summer with carpers but hopefully quiet in the winter. A few years ago I fluked a roach of exactly 2lb (sounds unlikely I know but it's true - I even asked the baliff to weigh it for me!) while I was float fishing a big cube of luncheon meat in the margins for tench. With everyone fishing for the carp, there might be a few big roach in there that no-one ever bothers... and maybe some big perch too.

Conditions I guess would be similar to river roach fishing? Low pressure, overcast, stable...find some undertow if possible and try to find some bars to fish to/on. I would probably start with the maggot feeder, helicopter little bolt rig with maggot or caster as bait - tight lines and heavy bobbins. Or if I could fish close enough, the pole.

Have you seen the topic on the Cemex site? Worth a read, not least for the stories from the Willow veterans! (I had a wander round Willow in the summer while I was checking out the Linch Hill syndicate, and it was strange to think that little pool could keep producing such enormous roach. It reminded me of the Redmire carp in that respect.)

Where's Mark Wintle when you need him? :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had a mini campaign (5 day trips) a few winters ago on a local commercial style water after Perch and Roach. I gave up in the end and went Pike fishing. I really struggled to get my head around the fishing.

The water even in winter was very coloured and fishing big Lobs for the Perch was almost a waste of time and feeding chopped worm would soon attract the Bream :rolleyes:. The best I could get on worm was around 1lb. Fishing caster and maggot would draw in a better stamp of Perch with plenty over a pound to just over two but I could not get anything much bigger although match reports claimed a smattering of 3lb plus fish. It might seem hard to believe but Lobs just did not seem to work.

Fishing maggots and casters would also produce Roach to around 10oz until the Bream would push them out but it was hard to get anything better unless I switched on to pellet or meat and then the bigger Roach would take these baits. Trying to get bites on these waters can be extremly easy but trying to get bites from your target species at the size you want while avoiding everything else can be just as challenging as fishing a water that might be classed as "difficult" But for those who put the time in and come up with a plan I think they offer a good chance of a specimen Roach, Perch, Rudd or in some cases Chub or Dace.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

i'm afraid i never plan anything ,i may never wake up tomorrow how can anyone plan anything when things could change in an instant?

i did but usually other things cropped up that spoilt them so i dont bother anymore

what i would like to do or catch is far different from what tends to happen in reality

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i'm afraid i never plan anything ,i may never wake up tomorrow how can anyone plan anything when things could change in an instant?

i did but usually other things cropped up that spoilt them so i dont bother anymore

what i would like to do or catch is far different from what tends to happen in reality

Just for chesters1 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-4J1f2wqQ

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman,

I believe Chesters1 hit my goal square on the head and didn't realize it.

My plan is to wake up in the morning - in good enough health to "empty my job jar" of little angling tasks I've planned for perhaps half a century. And, I believe I'll probably catch me another carp.

Phone

I suppose this is a day for looking ahead to the coming year, so what are your targets this year?

I have just joined a local fishing club who hold matches every month on a mixture of lakes and rivers. I have only ever fished one match before in my life and I blanked. My target is to win a match this year.

I am surrounded by waters that hold big carp and catching a 40 or even 50 pounder probably wouldn't be too difficult. All I would have to do is pay my money and put the time in. However, just down the road is a river that is free to fish with my annual license and it contains large carp. Not quite as guaranteed as the carp ponds so my target is a 25lb river carp from the river Mayenne.

I have never caught a Silure (Wels catfish). I know they are to be found in the river Mayenne and also in the Sarthe about an hour south of me. The target is to catch one, size not important.

Lastly, this year I caught my first (and only) Sturgeon. Probably the best fight I have had on rod and line. I had another on briefly on the pole when Tench fishing. I would like to catch another one (or several :P )

My first year after 15 years break from fishing i do not care what i catch even a cold !! :lol:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I'm really not sure yet Steve. I have a friend who fishes for big roach in little commercials in the winter, and he always waits until it's cold enough to slow the carp down. I don't think weed is an issue as these types of lake usually don't have much. It's never really interested me before, but for some reason I can really see me getting into it soon, it would be a whole new challenge, and these days a really good chance of 2lb+ roach. I guess I've finally accepted that big river roach are pretty much gone now, for me at least.

The water I'm thinking of is a small local club lake that's busy in the summer with carpers but hopefully quiet in the winter. A few years ago I fluked a roach of exactly 2lb (sounds unlikely I know but it's true - I even asked the baliff to weigh it for me!) while I was float fishing a big cube of luncheon meat in the margins for tench. With everyone fishing for the carp, there might be a few big roach in there that no-one ever bothers... and maybe some big perch too.

Conditions I guess would be similar to river roach fishing? Low pressure, overcast, stable...find some undertow if possible and try to find some bars to fish to/on. I would probably start with the maggot feeder, helicopter little bolt rig with maggot or caster as bait - tight lines and heavy bobbins. Or if I could fish close enough, the pole.

Have you seen the topic on the Cemex site? Worth a read, not least for the stories from the Willow veterans! (I had a wander round Willow in the summer while I was checking out the Linch Hill syndicate, and it was strange to think that little pool could keep producing such enormous roach. It reminded me of the Redmire carp in that respect.)

Where's Mark Wintle when you need him? :)

Anderoo yep been reading that thread with interest ,Thinking of having a go this Sunday with Rusty maybe one bolt rigged maggot feeder and one flake with a couple of Pike rods stuck in the margin either side of the swim .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: