Otter

JV44

i know not everyone see it the same..

Without wanting to sound 'elitist' or up on my high horse etc etc, from a purely logical and common sense angle I cannot see any reason other than outright selfishness that any angler/person/human would not see it that same.

From a business perspective I understand the concerns of the owners of commercials however they have to realise that they built these pools and stocked them to such high levels that they must deal with the consequences. They cannot think that it is their right to kill a creature that is acting on natural instinct just because they decided to dig a pit and fill it with fish. Natural predation is something that managers of natural pits/lakes have had to deal with for decades and they dont mind as they appreciate that it is a part of a balanced ecosystem. Now though with all the little un-natural ponds etc popping up commercial owners have to expect a certain amount of fish to be taken by predators. I am reasonably sure that the predators would not empty the lake but would most likely return it to a state of balance rather than horrific over stocked levels. That is the part that most likley scares the owners. That their beloved catching pools might actually become a challenge to catch on and the easy peasy brigade would have to find somewhere else to catch a 200lb bag of carp.

Anyway I better shut up or I might be though to be in a clique with the otters and forced to boat up with them at the next fish in. :D

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without wanting to sound 'elitist' or up on my high horse etc etc, from a purely logical and common sense angle I cannot see any reason other than outright selfishness that any angler/person/human would not see it that same.

From a business perspective I understand the concerns of the owners of commercials however they have to realise that they built these pools and stocked them to such high levels that they must deal with the consequences. They cannot think that it is their right to kill a creature that is acting on natural instinct just because they decided to dig a pit and fill it with fish. Natural predation is something that managers of natural pits/lakes have had to deal with for decades and they dont mind as they appreciate that it is a part of a balanced ecosystem. Now though with all the little un-natural ponds etc popping up commercial owners have to expect a certain amount of fish to be taken by predators. I am reasonably sure that the predators would not empty the lake but would most likely return it to a state of balance rather than horrific over stocked levels. That is the part that most likley scares the owners. That their beloved catching pools might actually become a challenge to catch on and the easy peasy brigade would have to find somewhere else to catch a 200lb bag of carp.

Anyway I better shut up or I might be though to be in a clique with the otters and forced to boat up with them at the next fish in. :D

i dont think your being elitist...i think your being honest!

seeing nature in all its glory has to be a wonderful experience! surely?

feeding robins on the bank with maggots. watching a rat swim by. watching mother goose swim about with her goslings. toads in spring swarming about the place. carp cruising through balls of tadpoles and stuffing their faces.

i dont understand anyone who calls themselves a fisherman not being touched by the glory of nature in some way. heel even if an otter pulled a double figure carp out of the water in front of me as i sat there fishing id be shocked...but id be amazed and honoured at the same time!! and i truly doubt id even stop it enjoying its meal!

currently one club lake has otter fencing, another has mink traps and the club just got a 3 bird licence to cull cormorants...i say leave them all alone but im the minority. protect the lakes with fencing and keep an eye on things...anything else should be left alone.

i can see both sides of the argument...must hurt alot to lose decent stock to predation. but we are guests in this land....and this land will live on long after we are dead and gone and being food for worms

Apparently there was a BBC South West programme on last night where Anglers were bemoaning the presence of otters in their fisheries.

I only caught the end of the item on the news but remember thinking that this it might be a huge mistake broadcasting Anglers v Cuddly Otters. Can’t seem to find it on iplayer though (might have been a One Show type programme), did anyone see it?

Link in this (well balanced :rolleyes: ) thread: http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages...5&ReadAll=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0196...est_09_01_2012/

(18mins 45secs in)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It is quite obvious that pike,cormorants,otters,Polish people anything or any body that kills fish should be destroyed.Or is that me being a bit fluffy and Liberal?

i think your being far too liberal! only the complete genocidal wiping out of the entire species will suffice!

and spiders..dont forget spiders...them too!

It is quite obvious that pike,cormorants,otters,Polish people anything or any body that kills fish should be destroyed.Or is that me being a bit fluffy and Liberal?

You forgot bream, tench, tufted ducks, swans, coots...well, anything that's not a carp basically :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes in reflection your right Kirisute. Angling should be banned as well (well for eveyone but me as no one loves and cares for and looks after carp like I do....................................................)

Mark my words it will be these realtree clad,fish deifying,"angry young men" that kill our sport.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You forgot bream, tench, tufted ducks, swans, coots...well, anything that's not a carp basically :rolleyes:

I've mentioned before finding an old riverkeeper's manual in the library basement store of the Freshwater Biological Association, which basically had that philosophy for anything that wasn't a salmon or a trout - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Interesting ( :rolleyes: ) links....funny nobody mentioned that barbel were introduced to the Bristol Avon but the otter expansion on that river was perfectly natural!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!