Which knot

wotnobivvy

For thin/weak mono I normally use an untucked blood knot and double overhand loop. I know the blood knot is supposed to be weak but I have complete confidence in it.

I am the same. I have never had any problems with an untucked blood knot. I use it for all my fishing except for braid work which I use a palomar for ever since Rob showed it to me.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I am also very confident using the 5 turn 'Grinner' knot and use it on both mono and braid; although when I tie it on mono I do occasionally need to retie the knot due to the curly line syndrome; but when tied correctly and tightened along with spit I don't experience any trouble with un-expected breakages at the knot (famous last words ;) ).

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Re the popular practice of spitting on a knot. There's an interesting snippet in the US book "Advanced Bass Fishing" by John Weiss about this belief over which there's been lot of debate.

Scientists at Du Pont decided to test this, and found that there was actually no difference between lubricated and unlubricated knots. Despite this, they also concluded that spitting on knots can help in practice, simply because these knots were more likely to be tied well.

They also found that the type of knot the angler elects to tie is not nearly as important as the care he uses in the actual tying process.

My own choice is the Palomar. This is purely because I find it easier to tie, and so it works better for me than an alternative that I don't tie as well.

By the way, "Advanced Bass Fishing" is well worth the UK coarse angler reading despite our not having these species in the UK.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I got into the habit of using a tucked blood knot when I was tying on flies for both trout and salmon.

generally no problems but have had the occasional failure. I think that Steve's point is interesting as when I have had a problem it has been when I was in a hurry and didn't take due care.

laziness is all that stops me from changing ;)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Uni-Knot or Palomar on Braid, Uni-Knot only on Mono. Palomar I feel is too bulky on Mono.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

A four turn grinner is easiest to tie and never let me down.

I've never had the 4/5 turn grinner knot break on me, and I've been tying the knot in various braids, monos and coated braids for a good 20 years.

I have however had the palomar knot break, and thats simply put me off that knot as not only did it break, but its just too bulky for my liking.

When tying mono to swivels what is the best knot. I currently use the Palomar, but would a 5 turn grinner of tucked half blood be better or stronger

Hi, I agree with fellows that Palomar is good, but I often use Perfection loop and it doesn't really disappoint me.

You can find out it here

http://winter-fishing.ru/fishing-tackle/ry...ravilno-vyazat/

All,

I don't.

Always a local argument from time to time. Do you glue your knots?

Phone

Edit: Also, having slept on it, I always tighten the tag end of my palomar knot first (it's the hardest to tighten) then the mainline section - then cinch both. Seems to keep me from getting that dastardly little loop. Is that how others do it or do you try to tighten both at the same time?

Edited by Phone

I tend to use a 5 turn grinner but that was only once I moved onto pike and didn't want to take chances. I previously used the half blood and to be honest, I can't recall ever having one break on me.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...