CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

I've never understood the virtues ascribed to centrepins - "more in touch", a "joy on which to play fish" etc. A centrepin is merely a revolving drum on which line is stored, which revolves on a spindle. To listen to some people you'd think it had almost mystical qualities.

I've caught most sorts of fish on a centrepin - including "runners" like carp, pike, bass and mullet (trout, too - after all, what is a fly-reel other than a sort of centrepin?) - and I don't see that it's significantly different to playing a fish on a fixed-spool reel. I guess it's a case that if you want to ascribe virtues to something, you will.

Simple truth is that for some sorts of fishing - notably that which is done at close range - a centrepin is an efficient tool. That's all it is - a tool.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Gibbinson:

Simple truth is that for some sorts of fishing - notably that which is done at close range - a centrepin is an efficient tool. That's all it is - a tool.

To which, as a recent convert, I am compelled to say it may be a tool... but a lot of fun to use.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I used a fixed spool for 30 years since when i was a boy with no problems. However, when tranfering to a centre pin i found that you do have better control when playing a fish and it is much more enjoyable, although you have may have problems casting at distance unless you know how to do it properly. When using a Side Caster Centre Pin, or if you are an expert at Wallis casting etc, you will achieve distance in casting, just like a fixed spool reel, and you will have a tool that produces the best of both worlds, in my opinion....Ray

Sorry Jim but I have to disagree. It’s certainly not a mystical experience as I've got to the stage where it's a practically efficient tool, but for me but it is definitely more enjoyable. I don’t know why but does that matter? .... Dave

Guest sslatter

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I too have to say that I don't subscribe to the centrepin 'mystique'. I think they are okay for floatfishing off your rod tip, longtrotting etc., but in my opinion, a closed face reel is the best tool for river floatfishing, and more pleasurable to use. It's just a case of 'horses for courses' I suppose, but I have always found the closed face reel by far the most versatile of the types of reel available for river floatfishing. I find I can floatfish much more successfully with a closed face, and with the modern skirted shallow spools, and synchro clutch facility, playing big fish is not the problem it used to be. Older models' spools can be modified quite easily, so no line-bedding problems anymore, even with an Abu 505. I do use my centrepin, and I do enjoy it, and I've caught big fish with it, but it is limiting in my opinion.

BTW-A fixed spool is the last reel I'd pick to floatfish on a river, IMO. Horrible things.

[ 06. January 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

I was brought up with centrepins back in the 1950s and used them for most of my fishing, even spinning with them.

I also use fixed spool reels quite a lot :D

and have a couple of closed face reels.

So I think I can offer an opinion on the merits of all three.

Line control, not just when the line is pulling off the reel, but overall handling is best with a CF reel. No loose line blowing around and getting behind the reel seat. No constant checking of exactly where the line is in relation to the rod.

A good modern FS is almost as foolproof.

Fine line, wet hands and rain and a CP can be a nightmare.

Playing fish....CF makes fish feel like a lump of pudding on the end, totally soulless, relies almost totally on the clutch, although you can backwind (if you really must :D )

Modern FS with large diameter roller gives a fair degree of feel and if the clutch is set "light" and finger control used on the spool rim then a delight to play fish on. Some backwind with a tight clutch and this can add a bit of "feel" to the game, but is fraught with danger if you loose control.

CP gives direct feel but not so much different to the FS, at least not so I have noticed.

About 6years ago, on several occasions, I deliberately fished both the FS and the CP reels when barbel fishing and hand on heart I was unable to detect any magic with the CP, and even when I handed the rod with barbel hooked to my mate He also was unable to get the "magic"

He is a confirmed backwinder and I am a finger tip and clutch man, and we both came to the same conclusion re the CP.

When it comes to small stream fishing, or light line floatfishing, especially where there is a lot of undergrowth to deal with or an awkward wind and you need 100% concetration on the float and not have to worry about what is happening to the loose line getting tangled, then the CF is in a class of its own, believe me I have tried all three!

So what will give you the best "feel" when playing fish??? none of these.....get yourself a pole :D:D:D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I find myself agreeing with GrahamX, above.

Centrepins are just great (how I love 'em), BUT they are useless in many float-fishing situations, especially when it comes to constantly, effortlessly, achieving anything like REAL distance.

So I have long used an old Abu 506 (someone tell me about the latest 'wunder closed-face', please), and use it when there's a REAL distance to be cast, or when there's a super-gale blowing.

As for playing big, hard-running fish -- well, I reckon the CP wins out every time ... if you had seen the number of big fish lost by backwinding other fishers -- barbel, salmon, even mahseer (yes, mahseer, LOL, D'oh!) -- that I have seen...

Which brings me back to that 'wunder closed-face': which one now has the best drag system ... one that can be set at (or readily adjusted to) and starts with nothing, and, more importantly, stays that way ?

[ 06. January 2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

There aren't that many closed-face reels about now are there Paul?

I used to have a DAM CFM (aka "the coffee grinder"). Awful thing - it's in the garage somewhere at my parents house, probably sulking.

I had a Daiwa 125M. Never liked it. Went on eBay.

I've heard the later ABU's aren't all that good - the 1044, 704, 507 Mk II, some Diplomat 600s (?). Possibly these just fell into the "after 1980 when ABU tackle went downhill" maybe?

Ryobi did a nice-looking one - green decals. Never used it though.

And most angling salesmen will tell you a good modern open-face reel is just as good as anything for trotting.

Maybe - for I'll stick to my 'pins! I'd be tempted to see how good a closed-face reel Shimano could come up with mind!

[ 06. January 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Spindle ]

RollingPinBoy:

When using a Side Caster Centre Pin you will achieve distance in casting, just like a fixed spool reel, and you will have a tool that produces the best of both worlds, in my opinion....Ray

But isn't line twist a problem Ray? One good thing about a c/p is the lack of line twist.