New Guy asking questions

Inderblitz

Hey all

Im new here, been fishign fro almost a year now. Mainly float, but recently gotten into feeder fihsign with Quiver tip.

Mainly, i fish at my clubs lakes. Two small ponds beclongign to Leatehrhead and District Angling Society.

First question being:

Can i use a bite alarm with my Quiver tip?

and

What would be the best means fro targeting botom feeder such as tench with this kind of weather? (Mainly 1 degrees celcius)

Thanks for all help in advance

;)

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net.

Sorry I can't help but never saw a quiver tip rod and no tench where I live.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Inder,

Tis the season to talk about the fine fishing we will have in the spring. There won't be many pond fish that are easily caught at 1C.

Newt and I are both in the U.S. (that's why we can post this time of day) We don't have rods called quivertips but we have rods similar to quivertips. I guess my question is: if you could use your alarm how to you propose to do that? Most fish in the winter are at best litebiting. How do you think your alarm could help you with the fish that are available this time of year? Do you have predators like perch, pike, salmon or trout that you want to try to catch on a quivertip? Seems to me, that would be a tough act.

Phone

Hey all

Im new here,

Welcome to AN :)

Can i use a bite alarm with my Quiver tip?

Why would you want to do that? Doesnt it defeat the purpose of using a quivertip?

There is no reason why not other than it being pretty pointless as you could just use a normal ledger rod rather than a quiver tip if you are not planning on watching the tip. One thing to note is that when a quiver tip gets pulled round it can introduce a good amount of tension and friction on the line meaning if the fish pulls at the right angle it may still pull your rod off the rests. I would reconsider my options personally.

What would be the best means fro targeting botom feeder such as tench with this kind of weather? (Mainly 1 degrees celcius)

I would use a bulk shotted waggler dotted right down and watch for a lift bite but wouldnt hold your breath as tench will not feed hard in these conditions if at all.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Welcome to AN :)

Why would you want to do that? Doesnt it defeat the purpose of using a quivertip?

There is no reason why not other than it being pretty pointless as you could just use a normal ledger rod rather than a quiver tip if you are not planning on watching the tip. One thing to note is that when a quiver tip gets pulled round it can introduce a good amount of tension and friction on the line meaning if the fish pulls at the right angle it may still pull your rod off the rests. I would reconsider my options personally.

I would use a bulk shotted waggler dotted right down and watch for a lift bite but wouldnt hold your breath as tench will not feed hard in these conditions if at all.

I was going to answer but scopex has just cleared that all up 100%. I think he is a bit of a Geek :P

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hi,

I think Tench are ni-on impossible to catch at this time of year, although if you get a sunny day in march, in shallow water, you will have a better chance.

Good luck and keep trying, never say never... I have seen Tench captured on canals in cold weather, nearly always on bread, maybe a 10mm bread punch, but as someone said, very finiky bites.

As for quiver tip with a bite alarm, the one rule about fishing IS there are no rules, so if it suits you, then do it matey...

Steve

PS, you might wanna read my thread on winter bream...

Edited by Steve D

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

www.stanstedangling.co.uk

I would rather be a geek than a rudd angler :yucky::D

I am a geeky Rudd :lol:

I use a bite alarm in conjuction with a quiver tip on one water where bites are few and far between,

I also use a baitrunner in freespool at the same time.

I am usually watching the water or wildlife with a pair of binos and as I use the method at this water which holds big Carp Tench and Bream that could have the rod in the water in seconds I find using the alarm and freespool a must.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Can we please decease from these constant derogatory remarks about Rudd anglers :angry:

They have feelings to, well I think they do :unsure:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Can we please decease from these constant derogatory remarks about Rudd anglers :angry:

They have feelings to, well I think they do :unsure:

All in jest :D

Rudd/Steve

Of course there are no hard and fast rules and if you are in a situation such as Rudds then it may be of some use although why use a quiver tip if you are not going to watch it. I am unsure of the logic as the bendiness of the tip introduces its own friction on the line as the bit develops and it wraps around.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk