Perch Groundbait

The Flying Tench

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend told me he'd bought some perch groundbait - and he was convinced it had worked as there were swirls in the water with fry jumping out - but he didn't catch any perch. I'd find this very useful if it really worked, as I'm not keen on chopped worm, but you could argue that the groundbait just attracted the fry, which attracted Mr Perch. Has anyone else tried perch groundbait, and does it work?

I didn't hear that anyone uses a groundbait for perch in our country, but I have read some article where the author writes that he uses groundbait for roach and usually takes pike rods with him. He have described that after 4 hours he caught pike by it. And 5 pikes during fishing is his final result.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Perch-magic liquid, walkers of throwell seam to have all the other "magics" but the perch-one. Google is a dead end and quest baits only seem to carry Mr Braddocs powders.

Best regards //

Anders

Why the liquid and not the powder?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Steve B,

For “kids” fishins where it is paramount to catch lots of perch and sunfish in a hurry I use “trout starter” by Purina (it’s like 1 or 2 mm) with a dab or two of krill from the aquarium shop. The cheaper the better on the krill.

Never seen it fail (?) although the fry and specimen respond with equal vigor.

For my grandkids during the summer a can of dog food hanging from a long willow pole (12 ft or more) with hundreds of holes punched in it is “best” once the maggots begin to fall into the water beneath it. Takes 3 or 4 day for the action to start with the maggots though.

Phone

Edit: (When speaking of perch I mean Yellow Perch, and a zillion sunfishes)

Rich, I believe krill is available as a liquid suspension or as krill flavorings as a spray)

Edited by Phone

A friend told me he'd bought some perch groundbait - and he was convinced it had worked as there were swirls in the water with fry jumping out - but he didn't catch any perch. I'd find this very useful if it really worked, as I'm not keen on chopped worm, but you could argue that the groundbait just attracted the fry, which attracted Mr Perch. Has anyone else tried perch groundbait, and does it work?

Hehehe...Not much me giving you the receipt for the groundbait I use for Perch then. Each to his or her own

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Not sure that it is 'groundbait' in it's strict meaning, but I have used compost (that is the real decomposing vegetation from the garden and kitchen stuff) which is very liberally laced with red worms. I used to try seperating the worms from the stuff, but then thought it too time consuming, I filled 2 buckets with the stuff. Took it out on the boat to a 'perchy' bay we fish and made cricket sized ball and lobbed them in. It worked... well after half an hour or so we were catching well. I have used it a few times since and have mixed in some crumb and commercial groundbait too...it hasn't been tested to any level of scientific rigour, so one can't make a causal sttaement at this stage. Some might say that it is just the worms as loose feed that are having an impact. However I have been able to watch the balls disintergrate in around 5 feet of very clear water, and it all looks very good, a wormy cloud, air bubbles especially with an Alker Seltzer tablet in the balls.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I still have a tiny amount of Braddocks Perch magic left and only now use it in the depths of winter.

This stuff is good:

GOT Baits Atomic Worm has become a must have additive 'no matter what' for the choppie fans and a brilliant addition the the canal angers armory. Atomic Worms provides a predatory purple haze, and during field trials the Atomic Worms was proven to draw both big fish and tiny fry when combined with traditional winter canal groundbaits in 60/40 mix. The attraction of the fry is crucial in achieving big bags of Winter Perch that just can't help joining in!

The uses for Atomic cloud are endless and the reason many wont go fishing without a bag or two in the bait bag.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Emma two,

Among the world's anglers "groundbait" is any substance that you add to the swim that lays on the ground (i.e. sinks to the bottom). Caution, there is also "ground bait" which is a substance(s) reduced by grinding that may or may not become "groundbait". It may float or suspend.

I notice in the UK you are very inconsistant in two dimensions when you talk about these two differences. Often very confusing.

Phone

I notice in the UK you are very inconsistant in two dimensions when you talk about these two differences. Often very confusing.

Phone

Not to us on this side of the pond. The term ground is use in this context to mean the area where you wish to attract and hopefully catch. Liken it to a football ground. OOPs you call them soccer stadiums :D:D

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

wotnot,

Yes, I believe we are agreeing. Bait that ends up on the ground (in the swim, not at your feet) is "groundbait" (one word). "Ground bait" (two words) has gone through some sort of grinding process.

Sometimes you talk of floating or suspended bread crumbs as "groundbait" although suspect in most instances you mean "ground bait". Then there is "clouding" - should we go there? (ha ha).

Phone