Is it worth taking a tele rod to Greece

Paulg

another interesting dicovery was in amalfi this year, mid italy, the locals were having a great deal of success for (small) bass fishing maggots as bait, sold in the local tackle shop.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulg:

Does anyone know if it is worth me putting in my tele-rod for a bit of sea fishing?

Thanks very much,

Paul

Never leave home without a rod, you could regret it :D

I have been catching harbour Mullet on a carp hook with chicken as bait and mashed bread in an onion sack to attract them, great fun, they go mental :D

Take a look at the sea section and you will see what I mean

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Malc (or anyone else traveling to strange places) - if you find yourself in a place where the locals are having luck with a paste on a treble hook but have an aversion to using trebles, you might want to pack along the alternative I use. I like fishing paste baits and dislike fishing treble hooks.

These are made of a soft copper wire with no sharp points so if one does come off the hook and the fish eats it, it should pass with less problems than much of the food the fish is accustomed to. The things were designed as an aid to keeping soft plastics on the hook but the work fine for pastes. I clip them on a circle hook and mold the paste mostly around the hitch-hiker so the hook is exposed.

I have tried both but now only use the 'large' size which isn't very large at maybe 0.5 inches long. For a hook smaller than a #4 I'd probably use the small size though.

Posted Image

[ 13. July 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

take a fishing rod everywhere you go..and yes, it's worth it...

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

So, for these mullet and bream, what size hooks should I be using? Was thinking of taking a few between size 12 and 6. And gear wise, bait runner reel with a spool of 10lb and a spool of 6lb mono, a few chubber type floats, a couple of wagglers, and a few plugs......am I on the right lines?

Paul

Yeah Weaver fish are evil little critters although it is self preservation really as they are prone to being stepped on.

2 types of waever fish:

1)Greater Weaver

2)Lesser Weaver

Greater aint bad at all but Lesser is the one with a nasty sting and has been known to kill people. Always wear beach shoes if going across rock pools etc as this is where they are usually hiding.

My experience of the lesser weaver is at hells mouth a couple years back, there were millions of them in! a couple in every puddle/rock pool on the beach, although difficult to step on as they spook as soon as they see you and swim away as if unaware of the weapon they have in their spines!

Paulg:

So, for these mullet and bream, what size hooks should I be using? Was thinking of taking a few between size 12 and 6. And gear wise, bait runner reel with a spool of 10lb and a spool of 6lb mono, a few chubber type floats, a couple of wagglers, and a few plugs......am I on the right lines?

Paul

All of the above will do you fine i think.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/