Banned Baits

essexboy

More local fisheries are putting on bait restrictions. The latest to add is no paste! on this particular fishery the list of banned baits is:- no boilies frozen or shelf life, only powder ground bait, no cat meat, particles,nuts of any kind, pulses and now paste. Why do they object to so many baits, surely they need to attract anglers and as most of the sites we fish are attached to camping or caravan sites another income stream should be encouraged. I for one am not happy to fish without bait options. Does anybody else agree.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in two minds about this one. On one hand, I've become used to having a wide range of bait options and resent being unable to use my favourite bait combos (in sensible quantities and with safe rigs); On the other hand, there are still plenty of alternatives which are all proven fish catchers, so it's no great loss really.

You usually find (and I'm donning the old tin hat here!) that the most stringent bait bans are a direct result of a few individuals overdoing it (or being too successful), although I'll accept that it is only one reason and misinformation is also likely.

Whatever the reasoning, if the venue's worth fishing then it's certainly worth trying the alternatives.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

If I ever run a fishery, I will be very fussy about who joins, and the rule book will consist of four words; "Don't be a dick".

Can't be doing with waters where the management think the clientele are so thick they have to micromanage them - if they are wrong about that, it's insulting, if they aren't, who wants to fish with idiots?

...the rule book will consist of four words; "Don't be a dick".

Love it :D

I think that to be honest that should be all that is needed. It is frankly the dicks who spoil it for the sensible people. People who want to abuse fisheries and have no respect for their owners, wildlife or the fish they catch. If you did away with the dicks I doubt carp fishing would have quite the reputation it does now. The main issue I have had with commercials is the varying degrees of dickery from the idiots with tins of stella to the idiots who fill the holes to bursting with fish. Anyway its saturday night and I wont let myself get started on a moan :D :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

All,

Well, what are the options remaining? Paint a picture of such a lake. Lots of stock? Limited very large stock? Newly established lake? Day ticket only (without membership)?

To some degree I'm with Steve. I wouldn't be fussy about who joins but I have a real quick hook. One chance! But it may not be a "member" lake.

I understand what rob is saying also. If a guys is "showing off" they would get the hook also.

If it is not a member lake. Maybe they're aren't enought restrictions in the world to make it a pleasureable experience?

Phone

If I ever run a fishery, I will be very fussy about who joins, and the rule book will consist of four words; "Don't be a dick".

Can't be doing with waters where the management think the clientele are so thick they have to micromanage them - if they are wrong about that, it's insulting, if they aren't, who wants to fish with idiots?

:thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Think of it this way. A commercial fishery is usually packed with anglers everyday from morning till night. All groundbaiting, using boilies, paste, meat and all sorts of weird and wonderful baits. Nuts are a no no on most puddles as they swell up a little in water (fishy chocking hazard etc).

could you imagine now what the bottom of that carp puddle might look like!!! water quality can quickly become a serious issue on smaller puddles. commercials are not exactly rivers, large wild lochs etc etc that would struggle to see couple of anglers in a week.

There is always natural,wild lochs and ponds you can go to that dont have bait restrictions. i prefer going wild. commercials can be just too easy at times.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

There may be some element of fish protection but most of it probably has more to do with propping up sales at the on-site bait shop...

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There is no way that a decent bait will stay on the lake bed for any amount of time, these commercial carp lakes are so heavily stocked with little or no natural food the fish have to eat everything that gets thrown in. A 20lb carp can easily eat a kilo of boilies in one sitting, and pellets go down just as quickly.

I understand no nuts or pulses because some people just dont know, or care how to prepare them properly.

The water quality on the majority of lakes resembles tea anyway, but thats just down to too many fish in not enough space. Any heavily stocked carp venue will be murky.

In the event that i ever own my own fishery (unlikely) i dont think i could let it be a day ticket water, some of the things ive seen inexperienced day ticket anglers do is damn scary and i wouldnt want it to happen if the fishes wellfare was my responsibility.

pearbo,

I was in England whilst a 3 acre carp lake was being reclaimed. They meticulously had moved all the fish to a holding pond; drained it; and whilst I was there they were removing one meter of luncheon meat. A few fish had died and it was blamed on peanuts.

Phone