Carp to be removed ?

ayjay

I noticed a small piece (just an odd paragraph in another article) on the EA website which said they were thinking of removing carp from rivers wherever possible.

Is this a good idea?

Will it affect your fishing?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Local Environment Action Plan for the River Medway calls for the removal of carp, as I suspect that most LEAPS do (ask your local Environment Agency office for a copy of the LEAP and updates covering your river basin. You'll find some interesting stuff in there!).

I doubt that they'll ever find the funding to do much about them though.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

In my limited experience, they're fighting a losing battle here. In the first instance it's highly doubtfull that they will be able to remove all the carp, therefore those remaining will , in due time, breed. Secondly, unfortunately some scroat will introduce them to the water course, without the mandatory section 30 consent...........

Correct me if I'm wrong, I often am, but are carp likely to breed in UK rivers?

I know that yer average conservationist much prefers pike to carp. Apparently carp are somewhat destructive of the aquatic environment with their bulldozer activities.

Doesn't need some scroat to introduce them to the Medway system all it needs is a good flood and Monk Lakes, put them in for free, along with a load of other section 30 free exotics.

We had some wonderful Kois swimming around in a KAPS stretch of the Beult last year.

[ 01. April 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The carp have been in the Medway for a very long time. I remember seeing pictures of one caught in Maidstone at 30lbs as long as 25 years ago. I also remember standing on the town bridge in Maidstone(back when there was only one bridge)again 20+ years ago and looking down at a shoal of 10 carp ranging from 5lbs to low 20s.

On the basis that these fish have been in the Medway for such a long time and have not taken over they seem to have reached some sort of natural balance in terms of numbers. Lets hope it stays that way then there will be no pressing need to remove them.

As sugested by Tony the natural balance that seems to have been achieved could be thrown out by an influx of flood introduced stockies. On the Rother (Kentish) a number of small stock carp have been caught in the last few years that do not look like the small naturalised stock. The rumour is that these have come in from stocked fisheries on the floodplain. It seems to me that if the authorities want to "save" our rivers from carp then this is where they need to concentrate their effort.

Let me get this straight.

They want to remove carp to protect the eco system?

Or maybe protect silver fish?

Or to make room for Barbel and chub?

Barbel and chub are thriving in eco systems where cormorants have decimated silver fish stocks.

As are carp.

Cormorants are doing more damage than carp as are boats, water abstraction, crayfish and pollution from fertilizers etc.

Next we will have a nice and wet slippery slope to play on with a call for the cull of river carp.

Wont the anti's have a field day with that one.

And who will we have to blame? :confused:

Anglers by Anglers.

The purist river anglers (who fish for Barbel that were stocked into most rivers in the first place)

blaming anglers who fish commercials for stokie carp blaming specimen carp anglers blaming match anglers blaming pike anglers blaming game anglers blaming sea anglers blaming pleasure anglers blaming purist river anglers blaming commercial anglers....................... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Resulting in the same old sh!t we see on the net and in the rags and mags every week. :mad:

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!