Weekend Plans?

AddictedToScopex

Addict,

Turns out today, Saturday, is perfect for fishing from the human view (don't know about fish cooperation yet). It was supposed to rain but all went East of me. It will be 70f; sunny; no wind. Full clearance from the control tower in the kitchen. Now planning a 4 - 5 hr carp session on the Missouri River. River is still pretty cold for carp - may switch to catfish pretty quickly. Taking some red wiggler worms to catch bait fish with just in case.

More later.

Phone

Having just checked the weather I shall be heading down to my local club lake where I will hopefully get into some bream and tench. I'll have to get up early though cos I want to be back for the grand prix at lunch time. I'll let you know how I get on if I catch.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I probably won't fish over the weekend, well possibly a short lure session for the last hour or so of light on sunday. However, being unhampered by the constraints of regular employment, I plan a whole day doing what I call 'sit down fishin', (I'm usually standing and throwing lures either from the shore of off the boat) trying for some carp with my pole and ledger rigs. I like going on weekdays like this especially on smaller waters (the one I'm going to is an 8 acre day ticket lake), it's not so important on our big waters as ther is plenty of room. I want to be able to fish within yards of the car, and hopefully have some relatively easy fishin'. So long as the weather isn't awful thats what I shall be doing.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Just rolled in from an afternoon (turned into about 5 hrs.). River water is still to cold to encourage carp feeding although I did catch 3 between 10 and 15 lbs. Mostly turned into a catch and keep catfish session for my pal and his son's Sunday afternoon fishfry. Didn't start that way but the channel cat (don't believe you have them in the UK) were hungry. When they are hungry they eat anything. I was busy catching bait fish on one line and catfish on another whilst my pal kept stealing my "cut bait" (with permission - that's this old guys job - keeping everyone in bait). That's what we call chunks and guts of the bait fish "cut bait". Channels ranged from 2 to I'd say 7 lbs.

I stayed and helped clean and skin about 30. First time in years I've done that. Usually just filet them but when you filet them you really do waste a lot of fish. Still not sure we caught and cleaned enough fish. Everytime we caught a fish the boy's cell phone would be making another call (he's 30ish). If he has a guest for every call he made he'll have a hundred the way I have it figured. I always though I was a pretty good fisherman but don't believe I could ever learn to fish with one hand and talk on a cell phone with the other. Cell phones are an insane part of life today I guess.

Phone

(I have pictures on a "computer stick" from his phone. Can't get them up for you. Not smart enough yet. In fact, can't look at them myself on the computer.)

So what are you guys up to?

CELEBRATING! :D Some very sore heads and bleary eyes in the Plumb household this morning - my boys didn't get home until daylight!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Let us know how you get on. I remember there being a huge fad on catching cats but it seems or I have not heard that many seem to fish for them anymore. Maybe it's the trips to the Ebro or the Seine that has killed it off a bit.

I will be interested to know how you get on

Hi Dave

I have only fished for Cats a few times and all on an "easy water" that has lots of them and loads get caught each night. However it is super busy and has a long list of Do not Rules and effectivly all you can do is fish with a bait on the hook, no loose feed, PVA, Feeders etc. The few times I have fished, lots of Cats have been caught by other anglers but not by me :D I struggle big time and I find it frustrating as to me fishing is about baiting and with out that element I don't enjoy my fishing as much. So I have not done well on this water and so I promised myself that I would do some cat fishing but some place where I could be more active and fish.

I will not name the water I was fishing as it only has a few cats but not many and as it is not known for them it would not be fair to the few who do fish it to encourage more people to cat fish it. With the dodgy weather we have been having I thought I could do a night before the fair weather carpers turn up. Well things went to plan the bad weather put of most people and so on Saturday night I shared the lake with only 2 other groups. A pair of anglers after the Cats and a small group of friends targeting Carp and so I had plenty of water to myself.

I fished 3 rods, one with a live bait, one dead bait and one fun rod during the day a light feeder set up which I chopped and changed from maggot to worm, boilie, pellet and bread and caught all manner of fish on that but mainly Carp but had a nice bonus Roach of 1.06. This I changed over to a pellet rod at night.

The live bait produced nothing, I will not go in to much details about that as I will most likely start a new thread on lives and cats when I get time. I had a missed run on double 30mm halibut pellet which may have been a cat but as I landed a Carp of around 12lb at sunset during the day on double pellet it may not have been.

The dead bait is the one that produced for me and I had a Cat at around 2.30am. It was one of those magical moments of fishing that you only know if you fish. It was so misty and foggy that I could not even see the surface of the water ans so still and silent. All I could hear was the clutch paying out line, the magical silence was spoiled by the fish splashing and this alerted one of the other Cat anglers who wandered over and offered to net it. Which was nice as even with him at nets man neither of us could see the fish and we where judging things by sounds and it was awsome to see the head emerge from the fog and over the net.

I was well chuffed 19lb 10oz not a monster for Cat anglers but as my target was to catch a cat this year, it's nice to get one at the first time out. I had another run on the dead bait latter on but missed it and reeled in a bait that had been half crushed.

A very enjoyable trip and I have my first Cat of the year, so well pleased.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi Dave

I have only fished for Cats a few times and all on an "easy water" that has lots of them and loads get caught each night. However it is super busy and has a long list of Do not Rules and effectivly all you can do is fish with a bait on the hook, no loose feed, PVA, Feeders etc. The few times I have fished, lots of Cats have been caught by other anglers but not by me :D I struggle big time and I find it frustrating as to me fishing is about baiting and with out that element I don't enjoy my fishing as much. So I have not done well on this water and so I promised myself that I would do some cat fishing but some place where I could be more active and fish.

I will not name the water I was fishing as it only has a few cats but not many and as it is not known for them it would not be fair to the few who do fish it to encourage more people to cat fish it. With the dodgy weather we have been having I thought I could do a night before the fair weather carpers turn up. Well things went to plan the bad weather put of most people and so on Saturday night I shared the lake with only 2 other groups. A pair of anglers after the Cats and a small group of friends targeting Carp and so I had plenty of water to myself.

I fished 3 rods, one with a live bait, one dead bait and one fun rod during the day a light feeder set up which I chopped and changed from maggot to worm, boilie, pellet and bread and caught all manner of fish on that but mainly Carp but had a nice bonus Roach of 1.06. This I changed over to a pellet rod at night.

The live bait produced nothing, I will not go in to much details about that as I will most likely start a new thread on lives and cats when I get time. I had a missed run on double 30mm halibut pellet which may have been a cat but as I landed a Carp of around 12lb at sunset during the day on double pellet it may not have been.

The dead bait is the one that produced for me and I had a Cat at around 2.30am. It was one of those magical moments of fishing that you only know if you fish. It was so misty and foggy that I could not even see the surface of the water ans so still and silent. All I could hear was the clutch paying out line, the magical silence was spoiled by the fish splashing and this alerted one of the other Cat anglers who wandered over and offered to net it. Which was nice as even with him at nets man neither of us could see the fish and we where judging things by sounds and it was awsome to see the head emerge from the fog and over the net.

I was well chuffed 19lb 10oz not a monster for Cat anglers but as my target was to catch a cat this year, it's nice to get one at the first time out. I had another run on the dead bait latter on but missed it and reeled in a bait that had been half crushed.

A very enjoyable trip and I have my first Cat of the year, so well pleased.

Well done Dales.

I didn't get out this weekend as I wasn't up to it.

What type of dead did you catch on and what baiting / free offerings did you use. I ask because I think that when I do get out that is likely to be my preferred choice.

The lake I have in mind doesn't allow live bait and is fished almost exclusively with pellets / boilies. I fgenerally feel more confident if I am doing something different.

I would be interested to know how you feel about sea deads as well

Cheers

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Well despite my asking for ideas I didnt even manage to get out in the end :o

Spent saturday helping my brother with his project car ,lugging sub frames about and planning what should be tackled next. We are putting his engine in the back. He has a mk2 golf gti with a corrado 2.9litre v6 petrol engine in it. We decided it would be better in the boot :D .

Sunday was spent with her indoors as I had trained my legs in the gym on saturday and really didnt feel up to walking the canal with spinners in hand. Plans are already being drawn up for two days of fishing next weekend. Whether it ends up happening again remains to be seen ;)

EDIT: Also well done dales

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Well done Dales.

I didn't get out this weekend as I wasn't up to it.

What type of dead did you catch on and what baiting / free offerings did you use. I ask because I think that when I do get out that is likely to be my preferred choice.

The lake I have in mind doesn't allow live bait and is fished almost exclusively with pellets / boilies. I fgenerally feel more confident if I am doing something different.

I would be interested to know how you feel about sea deads as well

Cheers

Bare in mind that I am not a cat angler and have only caught a few Wels in the UK and those where at the water I mentioned with no baiting but I have caught a large number of other predator species of Cats in Thailand so this Wels fishing lark is still rather new to me. So I have been meaning to do some cat fishing using ground baiting for some time but being an all rounder stuff gets put on hold.

So this was the first time I have tried my groundbait approach and it was over this that I caught. I can't read to much in to one trip but as the lake does not have many cats it may have done its job in attracting them. Obviously we can both learn alot from experienced cat anglers but this worked on this trip.

I mixed up some fish meal groundbait with halibut and trout pellet and added a few blasts of Van Den Eynde Halibut pellet soak and some mixed fish oil and left this soaking all day Saturday. Then in the evening I mashed up a Mackeral and few Sardines along with a tin of Sardines and 2 tins of Tuna and added some ground up Squid and Octopus boilies and dead maggot. I was not worried about over feeding but with the low cat stock I wanted a load of attraction to hope fully draw them to me. The dead bait I fished and caught on was Mackeral tail but I would "suggest" any stinky Sea bait would be good. I use the term suggest as I have very little Wels fishing experience but have aspirations :D

I will be interested in how your Cat fishing goes this season and will post my ups and downs as well.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek