In memorey of a good friend

Dick Dastardly

As I'm sure many of you will sadly remember a very good friend of both Anglers Net and many members past and present on here passed away 6 months ago.

Jan Vail ( our long term moderator,member and friend Newt's wife) passed away somewhat unexpectedly.For me it was quite a shock as she had been posting on Facebook one minute then the next time I turned the PC on I saw the bad news. I suppose it hit some of us harder than others as we knew Jan personally but many had "known" her through her postings on both here and other angling/social sites.I'm not going to even try and explain why she was so loved by many because I am not worthy of even trying. Any way enough of the sadness lets look at the brighter side.

Once we had heard the bad news many of us felt some what frustrated as we couldn't think of a way to "celebrate" Jan's life and memory.America is simply just so far away. We couldn't pay our respects or comfort Newt in the way we wanted to. Attending services/sending flowers etc not only would have proved impractical for most but also didn't feel right.

Lots of ideas went through many peoples minds but the one that I thought was the nicest was one my brother Andrew suggested, In fact he wanted to do it himself as a personal thing but agreed it would be nice to share this opportunity with all the others who felt the same about Jan. I approached Newt,Elton and Steve Burke some time ago and all are in agreement. My proposal is as follows.

Andrew would like to select and purchase a flowering plant (the exact type he will take advice on) which will be planted and nurtured along the fence line behind "Newt & Jan's" swim at Wingham. A small discreet plaque will also be placed. Myself and the other bailiffs at Wingham are more than prepared to maintain the plant.

I ask for no donations to the cost but thought it would be nice to invite all friends of Jan to attend a brief ceremony when the plant/plaque are placed. The most obvious time to do this will be during the AN Wingham fishing. So even if your not lucky enough to get a place on the fish in you would still be more than welcome to attend.Not sure which of the days will be best (possibly the Sunday?) but we can go definate on that once people let me know if they would like to attend.

It is also proposed that we are going to make a short video of it and the weekend to put on DVD and send to Newt.

Thanks for reading.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very thoughtful gesture.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

A nice idea. I won't be there but shall wait for the 'movie' (video) ... will it be posted in here too?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

A truly wonderful idea and a memorial that will be everlasting, I would definitely attend and I would like to take a photographic account as well that I could then send to Newt, that is if you are in agreement.

Richard.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

A good thought, Andrew Burgess.

As Jan and Newt were once guests in our house, Norma and I are amongst those who feel Jan's loss that more keenly.

Can I just add a cautionary note ?

Years ago, I fished at Redmire for a few days - a sort of pilgrimage.

In Dick Walker's swim had been planted a memorial tree, with a plaque close by. The only trouble was that the tree had died, having been planted with many good intentions but little knowledge of sylviculture. Rather sad, although given Dick's sense of humour he would have had a quiet chuckle at the irony of it.

So, bearing in mind that the gravelly soil around Jan's swim will be waterlogged a foot or so below ground level, careful thought and expert advice is needed on the choice of tree - if anyone needs further convincing, a glance at the dead and dying "commemorative" trees (alder?) planted in Wingham car-park by Steve's predecessors should be evidence enough.

There is also the point that the owners stipulate that no non-native plants are allowed - the rose-bushes in front of the club-house (tended by Norma and self for some years) were sacrificed to that edict.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

A good thought, Andrew Burgess.

As Jan and Newt were once guests in our house, Norma and I are amongst those who feel Jan's loss that more keenly.

Can I just add a cautionary note ?

Years ago, I fished at Redmire for a few days - a sort of pilgrimage.

In Dick Walker's swim had been planted a memorial tree, with a plaque close by. The only trouble was that the tree had died, having been planted with many good intentions but little knowledge of sylviculture. Rather sad, although given Dick's sense of humour he would have had a quiet chuckle at the irony of it.

So, bearing in mind that the gravelly soil around Jan's swim will be waterlogged a foot or so below ground level, careful thought and expert advice is needed on the choice of tree - if anyone needs further convincing, a glance at the dead and dying "commemorative" trees (alder?) planted in Wingham car-park by Steve's predecessors should be evidence enough.

There is also the point that the owners stipulate that no non-native plants are allowed - the rose-bushes in front of the club-house (tended by Norma and self for some years) were sacrificed to that edict.

What about a bench with a plaque engraved. I am sure more clearence can be arranged. Maybe looking out onto the water where others can enjoy the lake?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

What about a bench with a plaque engraved. I am sure more clearance can be arranged. Maybe looking out onto the water where others can enjoy the lake?

Over the years several good friends who have been members of AN/fished Wingham have passed away.When my old mate Gerry (Argyle) left us I had hoped to get a bench that could be placed somewhere suitable and plaques then placed on it accordingly.The being able to sit and remember thing being the idea.It had to be somewhere than not only was AN linked with but also some where AN members would allways be able to access. Various locations were suggested but it was Wingham that was decided on.Unfortunately the planning permission/wishes of the controlling bodies would not allow this.

I dont think this situation has changed (despite the change of ownership) so that's why (within the constraints that Dave mentioned) we settled on the plant idea.

Great shame about the bench though as I had a surprising amount pledged for it from various places/people in the angling world who knew Gerry. Also over the years there has been several people that we would have added. Maybe one day I will discover a way/location this can be done.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That's a really nice idea. A carefully selected tree or other plant that will grow over the years and be part of the Wingham landscape is a lovely gesture. I'm sure the members would also take very good care of it. I think a bench might be a bit out of place, but I expect a 'seat' made from a suitable bit of tree trunk could be placed next to it?

There is a fair amount of clay in that area too, so that should probably be taken into account.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Excellent idea, and the swim we named "Newt and Jan's" is the perfect place as this is where they fished when they joined us for the 2006 Angler's Net Fish-In.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net