Jan's Wisteria Planting at Wingham

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the planting didn't go quite according to plan and I feel terrible about it.

The spot I had in mind turned out to have concrete under it. As a result we had to plant the wisteria in a place we hadn't prepared, and there were brambles and bits of clutter there. I should have checked this beforehand. I'm so sorry, Newt.

Someone commented that knowing Jan though she's probably laughing her head off about it! I certainly hope so. Anyway, it'll be spruced up as a matter of urgency, and should look gorgeous as it climbs up the wall.

It was a very moving experience for a lot of us, and I know others shed a tear or three. Everyone at the BBQ attended, and we aim to repeat this every year. It's appropriate that wisteria flowers at this time of year unless we have an early spring. It's against the tractor shed and will be seen by everyone who comes in or goes out the complex.

It's also appropriate that the swim we call Newt and Jan's has so far produced the 2 biggest tench. We'll be planting the black poplar there, and from what tree expert Arbocop tells us it's an ideal place. I'm especially pleased that because of Jan we'll be planting a rare tree there and helping save the species in the UK.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

My thanks to all - especially to Steve for the site & Andy who seems to have handled most of the digging chores. The plantings are perfect for a lady who enjoyed simple things and who loved Wingham and the great friends we met there.

For any who are interested and haven't already seen it, Elton was nice enough to provide a home for a video of the memorial service we held for Jan a few months ago. Just me, one son, one grandson, and a favourite river on a windy day.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/jan.htm

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My thanks to all - especially to Steve for the site & Andy who seems to have handled most of the digging chores. The plantings are perfect for a lady who enjoyed simple things and who loved Wingham and the great friends we met there.

For any who are interested and haven't already seen it, Elton was nice enough to provide a home for a video of the memorial service we held for Jan a few months ago. Just me, one son, one grandson, and a favourite river on a windy day.

Very touching Newt, thanks for sharing.

Lovely Newt, just lovely :)

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Could I ask that people who took photos or video please put it on Facebook as a lot of Jan's many online friends wont see it on here.

I'm glad people approved of Andrews idea and so many still think fondly of her. Same as Steve I wish we had given it a bit more planning as we kind of envisaged it as a more private affair (er some chance of that with the number of people whose lives she touched I suppose!) I had not given it a lot of thought as what to actually say.Words just didn't cover it and I felt quite awkward especially as I was starting to choke up a bit.Hopefully though those who were not lucky enough to have known her will have got the message and those who did know her didn't need my incoherent ramblings.

As some one said we will come and go but hopefully AN and the Wingham Fish Ins will carry on and as such the memory of Jan and other departed AN friends will last to.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I thought it was a really nice gesture mate and could tell how much Jan had made an impression on you guys. I wasnt lucky enough to meet her but I am glad I was able to be there at the planting as it felt fitting to pay my respects as a fellow AN member and angler. For someone to be remembered that fondly from forum presence alone is testament to the person I believe. I know a lot of people also met her in person too but even those that didnt seemed to have a very high regard for her. You all did her very proud IMO. :thumbs:

As some one said we will come and go but hopefully AN and the Wingham Fish Ins will carry on and as such the memory of Jan and other departed AN friends will last to.

:thumbs:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It was a very nice idea from Andrew and Budgie it showed that your words where truly heart felt and very touching.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I am sorry that the planting didn't go according to the ceremony plans but when I left the clubhouse yesterday evening - that Terry (one of the Wingham Bailiff) have cut the bramble away around the building and will do the second plant sometime soon - also I will get an update pictures of it next time when I be down there again soon!

I was lost for words after the planting and all I could was thinking about Jan stories when we stay with them a few years ago! That why I ask for Budgie to say a few words, which he did - thanks bruv

Hopefully if we get the black poplar trees for next year at the Jan and Newt pegs then I be happy to help out again!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I am sorry that the planting didn't go according to the ceremony plans but when I left the clubhouse yesterday evening - that Terry (one of the Wingham Bailiff) have cut the bramble away around the building and will do the second plant sometime soon - also I will get an update pictures of it next time when I be down there again soon!

That wasn't your fault Andrew, it was entirely mine.

It's a climbing plant but I knew we couldn't put it against the clubhouse because of concrete, shingle or drains. However I hadn't known that beneath the soil where I'd anticipated planting it by the tractor shed was old concrete. Had I done so we'd have prepared another site in advance.

I feel absolutely terrible about this, but the buck stops with me.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net