why is bloodworm banned?

captain cojones

Don't know the answer to this, but looking forward to finding out.

A guess - Certain matchmen started using it and won everything so officals started banning it?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

its because if you start fishing blood worm/ joker and there is lots available in the water the fish will not respond to any other bait as this is there natural food!

or so the fishery owners tell us! :rolleyes:

The problem is, bloodworm can be collected free from many places but not all of them are 'clean' (I mean some are no better than open sewers - really). The adults prefer to lay their eggs in stagnant water and any bait collected from them could cause serious problems in enclosed waters. All the bait bought from shops however should be free of disease, but you cannot really be sure where the bloodworm has been collected from....

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

It might also be down to the fact that some anglers don't like others, those who make the effort to obtain better bait, from winning.

Bit like livebait bans in pike matches. The lazy just don't want to be outadvantaged!

[ 07. November 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

The usual "reasons" given by most bloodworm banners are those stated by Anthony and Peter Waller.

John S comes up with a new one - that they may be dirty nasty bloodworms and you don't know where they've been.

Well, you could apply that reasoning to brandlings, maggots, gozzers, squats etc.

In fact you could even apply it to anglers themselves

Ban 'em all demon demon

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

hi. i find it interesting that there are not many replies. is this because there is no definative reason?i take in what john s has to say, it is important that the spread of harmful organisms are controlled as much as possible.but i do get the feeling that this is one of those things that is banned by commitees because "errr everybody else bans it so there must be a reason".im probally wrong,(normally am!)cheers. :D

The main reasons are: cost and availability of worms (unless you collect your own); pre-occupation of fish on them when introduced in large quantities; possible contaminants contained in worms brought in cleaply from old Soviet Bloc countries; and their ability to enable the user to catch very small fish (roach, especially) which, when handled for unhooking, lose so many scales that they do not survive.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Vagabond:

The usual "reasons" given by most bloodworm banners are those stated by Anthony and Peter Waller.

John S comes up with a new one - that they may be dirty nasty bloodworms and you don't know where they've been.

Well, you could apply that reasoning to brandlings, maggots, gozzers, squats etc.

Ban 'em all    demon      demon  

Mmmm, not sure about SQUATS!? Bred(sic) on Bread and sour milk I believe?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

quote:

Some anglers I know are definitely a health risk.

I think the 'unfair' advantage is the most likely reason for the ban on some waters.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone