Recreational drugs

Sportsman

I don't know Dave, but there he seems to suffer from an enormous cognitive dissonance.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have with the 'Current system isn't working. Let's try something else' argument is that the current system of penalising drug users and dealers is not what you actually think it is. The last two governments have been practising a smoke and mirrors approach to this problem and have gone soft on drugs. I saw it every day in my previous job. Druggies are causing all sorts of problems and the government are doing everything they can not to send them to prison or give them meaningful punishmets and treatments whist pretending that they are tough on drugs.

My view is to practise what the government has been telling us it has been doing and see whether that works before going even softer on drugs.

Regards, Clive

The problem I have with the 'Current system isn't working. Let's try something else' argument is that the current system of penalising drug users and dealers is not what you actually think it is. The last two governments have been practising a smoke and mirrors approach to this problem and have gone soft on drugs. I saw it every day in my previous job. Druggies are causing all sorts of problems and the government are doing everything they can not to send them to prison or give them meaningful punishmets and treatments whist pretending that they are tough on drugs.

My view is to practise what the government has been telling us it has been doing and see whether that works before going even softer on drugs.

Have you never heard of urinating against the wind? Or do you have a vested interest in the status quo?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Have you never heard of urinating against the wind? Or do you have a vested interest in the status quo?

As already said: Let's try what the governments are telling us they have been doing. Not what the government is actually doing. These are two totally different things. If the hard line doesn't work then fair enough, try something else. But please don't be under the impression that the hard line has already been tried and found wanting. Because it hasn't.

Regards, Clive

When I was 18, many many many years ago...a friend of mine gave me a £5 deal of black. Having never smoked the stuff before I decided to put the whole amount in a joint and smoked it. Twenty minutes later I was lying paralyzed on the floor laughing my head off at a fly buzzing around the light shade whilst desperately trying to get up for the toilet. I must of passed out because the next thing I remember was that it was 16 hours later and I was in a sorry state indeed.

The experience put me off smoking anything other than tobacco, which lasted until someone spiked my cigarette on my wedding night.

A brother in law, a complete tosser, put something in/on a cigarette he gave me claiming it was a Turkish brand.

Being somewhat merry I believed him and spent the next six hours higher than a 747.

Apart from that drugs have held no appeal to me.

-----------------

I do think that if drugs were legalized dealers would be out of business very quickly and addicts who genuinely want to extricate themselves out of the drugs trap could get the help they needed.

An old friend, now dead, wanted to give up Heroin but got no help from anyone. Eventually her siblings got her and tied her to a bed keeping her high on Cannabis until the need for Heroin subsided. They then weeded her off Cannabis.

All in all it took 9 months to completely clean her up but unfortunately the damage had been done as she had contracted a disease associated with dirty needles. She lived a good three years before she died of a respiratory infection.

Many addicts want to stop but the system only helps the minority.

An old friend, now dead, wanted to give up Heroin but got no help from anyone. Eventually her siblings got her and tied her to a bed keeping her high on Cannabis until the need for Heroin subsided. They then weeded her off Cannabis.

All in all it took 9 months to completely clean her up but unfortunately the damage had been done as she had contracted a disease associated with dirty needles. She lived a good three years before she died of a respiratory infection.

Many addicts want to stop but the system only helps the minority.

Do you realise that if your friend could have went to the chemist and bought diamorphene and clean needles there was no need for her to die.

As already said: Let's try what the governments are telling us they have been doing. Not what the government is actually doing. These are two totally different things. If the hard line doesn't work then fair enough, try something else. But please don't be under the impression that the hard line has already been tried and found wanting. Because it hasn't.
I'm sorry but people making this argument just pee me off. I had a similar discussion with my French mother in law last week. I said to her "so Annick, You would rather that we carry on with the status quo and let serious organised crime gangs make a fortune from the misery of drug users than change the law" and she turns round, looks me in the eye and says "Ouis". Sickening.

Do you realise that if your friend could have went to the chemist and bought diamorphene and clean needles there was no need for her to die.

My friend was at that time, before rescue, under the control of a pimp. Now, unless you understand the consequences of that situation it is hard to make comment. Basically, she had no freedom and in much the same way as you see on television she was fed the drugs, sometimes by force, to keep her compliant. The police were as waste of space as she was constantly moved from place to place to work and it was only by chance that her siblings saw her and basically kidnapped her.

At the point of being rescued she was already infected.

Drug addicts live only from fix to fix and think of nothing else, certainly not going into a pharmacy to ask for a clean needle. Rationality does not enter an addicts thinking.

Her family got her clean and free from drugs although she still had her own battles against the desire to take them again. You see the desire stays with you no matter how long you have remained clean.

Her remaining 3 years were perhaps her best and she really shone through. She lived a very short but full life once she had beaten the addiction and her family rallied around her making those years count.

It saddens me to think about how her life was cut short and the horrors she must have witnessed but she was able to conquer her demons.

buy needles ? they get them free mate yet it still happens. how insensitive of you cory, hows the view from up there :P.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

buy needles ? they get them free mate yet it still happens. how insensitive of you cory, hows the view from up there :P.
Whatever. The point is that with sterile needles and pharmacy grade diacetylmorphine hydrochloride an addict can live for years with good health. No leg ulcers, no horrible side effects caused by the crap that street smack is adulterated with.