Killing fish

Sportsman

I’m not sure that you have used the right word in this reply. In logic, quantification is a construct that specifies the quantity of specimens in the domain of discourse that apply to (or satisfy) an open formula.

If you mean that I shouldn’t say anything without producing some evidence to support the statement or claim, well I used to, I would cite references as a matter or course. That didn’t go down well universally either. I was even accused of ‘academic bullying’, (proof is cheating) I took that to mean some didn’t like the way I brought these references to support my claims.

Anyway there is no need for me, or for anyone else to add ‘in my opinion’ (IMO) to their posts, or even ‘in my honest opinion (IMHO), are we to take it that the latter is more valid than the former because it includes the word ‘honest’? It’s unnecessary, the reader takes it that the opinions are those of the author unless informed to the contrary in the text . For example ‘Jim thinks that maggots are the best bait for perch, however that is not my opinion’.

If I say something, then be sure that it is my opinion, I don’t need to clarify that with any extra words (and nor do any of you).

'They' may jump from any height they wish.

Notwithstanding the incorrect usage of the English language (and I'm sure you got the drift, without needing to lecture - it's not an English language forum, after all) it's a sight easier to slip in the odd acronym than it is to have a fencing match with the nagging old ladies of the forum, who are most insistent about precision. May I point out that the word ladies in this instance does not necessarily refer to any of the female members of the forum.

May I also add that this type of interruption to a thread is just as tiresome as fending off the pedants.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notwithstanding the incorrect usage of the English language (and I'm sure you got the drift, without needing to lecture - it's not an English language forum, after all) it's a sight easier to slip in the odd acronym than it is to have a fencing match with the nagging old ladies of the forum, who are most insistent about precision. May I point out that the word ladies in this instance does not necessarily refer to any of the female members of the forum.

May I also add that this type of interruption to a thread is just as tiresome as fending off the pedants.

It certainly isn't an English language forum. I only point out things like this in my after someone has attempted to tell me off without having the decency to use words of which they know the meaning.

Using the term 'old ladies' as a prejorative is both 'ageist and sexist'.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you're missing the point.

This is a fishing forum, where anglers discuss their exploits and views on angling. Few people can be arsed with correct use of English, many are poor spellers, or don't give two hoots whether their grammar or punctuation is bad, or even non-existent in some cases. I myself do as well as I can, within the limits of what sank in.

Who cares, as long as we can all understand one another? It's really not worth making a fuss over.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

This is a fishing forum, where anglers discuss their exploits and views on angling. Few people can be arsed with correct use of English, many are poor spellers, or don't give two hoots whether their grammar or punctuation is bad, or even non-existent in some cases. I myself do as well as I can, within the limits of what sank in.

Who cares, as long as we can all understand one another? It's really not worth making a fuss over.

...after all, who cares whether otters decimate carp in ponds or kill all of them?

just a sad reflection of the world that we live in really innit!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Form goodness sake follow the thread fully before posting ! for I am quite sure that you have missed the point. I wrote in response to somone having a go at writing, or rather 're-writing' one of my posts. It was not posted to be pedantic , nor to lecture generally about the way English is used in here. I don't criticise others for poor spelling. I make mistakes in that department too, I have mentioned the appaling use of English in the case of a couple of posters. Not in this thread, nor in this section of the forum.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Personally I agree with what you say and I treat fish as other vertebrates, however, here's a grey area!

...actually not so grey...

That exemption is put in place to stop anglers and trawlermen from being prosecuted for causing cruelty to fish. The term 'normal' however would not be used to describe an angler knowingly allowing a fish to suffer. There the angler has a moral and legal reason to act.

Regards, Clive

robtherake, consider yourself well and truly chastised with regards to Post #110

Now go and do your lines in the corner like a good boy now. ;)

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”