Matt Hayes Limited Edition Centrepin - get yours today!

Anglers' Net

Hmmm at first glance it looks very much like a Marco Cortesi in different clothes limited to a thousand eh! Perhaps its the embittered cynic in me that tends to make me think that a

(1) That 1000 is not a very limited editon and therefore devalues the concept

(2) They'll do well to shift 1000 of them at that price.....

However

(3) The old adage a fool and his money are soon parted remains true even in a recession so they may get away with it.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Hmmm at first glance it looks very much like a Marco Cortesi in different clothes limited to a thousand eh! Perhaps its the embittered cynic in me that tends to make me think that a

(1) That 1000 is not a very limited editon and therefore devalues the concept

(2) They'll do well to shift 1000 of them at that price.....

However

(3) The old adage a fool and his money are soon parted remains true even in a recession so they may get away with it.

I take it your not smitten with them then Alan :D

I won't be buying one but it'll be interesting to hear how Chav finds his. Hey Chav...I thought you weren't buying any more pins' :lol:

so did i ,but i gave a couple up as raffle prizes ,so had no spare loaner ones ,now i have two ,if they'd put the aerial on the site friday i wouldn't of brought the sheffield clone ,and apart from my 5" stanton these are the only reels i have that're bearings models ,the sheffield (unless i'm totally disapointed with the aerial) clone i'll keep but it may end up as a charity auction /raffle prize .so it won't be wasted or left gathering dust for too long.but who knows ,i'll wait untill the matt hayse aerial arrives to see if i like it .in the flesh so too speak .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Chav,

I was "interested" in your comment the other day - something to the effect. - - - [pins] mass produced are quite different one from the other in the same model. You liked to "give them a spin" and select the best of the lot I believe. Do you just make a "crap shoot" buying reels that depend on such balanced technology and machining when using the internet.

Phone

if i can handle one in the shop its preferable ,because i can give it a spin ,not too see how long it spins but to check for defects,i spin it fast to listen too it ,for the sound of catching metal or grittyness .& to hear the bearings sing ,like wheel bearings on cars if they're good they'll make a nice low humming noise that'll sound clean and sharp ,but bad bearing sound rough.,i'll then spin them slow as i can too look for wobble/unevenessand then take them apart to check out the inner parts ,springs etc .

with buying blind off the net you wont know you've got a poor one until it arrives ,but a lot is down to whom your buying off ,i always test dragoncarp reels partly because there have been issues with quality control in the past and most are in their shops near to me so i can go in too have a play .some brands are more trusted than othersbecause they've ernt the reputation of being reliable .but at the end of the day if your buy off the net ,especially off e-bay it is a crap shoot

i tend too buy on looks ,if i like it i buy it hoping i'll like using it ,sometimes though they look great in the pictures but but fail to live upto expectations .i tend not too take too much notice of the spec's of a reel as all mass produced reels are pretty much made the same .same materials ,same cnc machined methods ,same aspec 5 bearings with the occantional better quality ones ,but near as dam it simular performance .the only real difference is how they look

my criteria is

do i find it asphetically pleasing

is it a nice colour

does it run on bushings or bearings

can i wind it with my fingers instead of handles

does it have a removable line guard

is it heavy

does it have a open back

is the drum pillerd or flat faced

is it robust (will i break it)

does it have a good ratchet

most important is wether it just feels right or not ,as at the end of the day i have too enjoy using it ,i have brought plenty of reels that tick all the right box's but just felt wrong .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

I, too, would be interested to know what you think of them. I did mention to someone in the trade yesterday that it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing with a new product launch like that, as many people want to hear what they're like from actual users before buying.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

well ,it arrived about 10min ago ,first glance it looks like a schizophrenic hybrid of a X-pin (or marco contessi) & a youngs aerial which works rather well all dressed in black ,no fugley thing this one. the front of the spool is of standard match aerial array of perforations so its pleasing on the eye in a famillier kind of way with a nice rounded rim (much more pleasing than a squared profiled rim) ,theres the usual thumb wheel spoke mounted drag adjuster ,this is a little on the thin side and can dig in on the fingertips whilst adjusting it .its otherwise a good drag with fair range of adjustment & kept true (not sticking on) by having a pressure spring and return/anti-rattle spring keeping it firmly in place .and the release latch operates cleanly .

the spreader spokes (not really spreader spokes as its a solid cnc machined one piece spool) are possibly a bit thin for my hamfisted hands but seem solid enough .the spool has a solid drum face which will be great for line lay ,the rear has the flat spokes as on the x-pin and there clones or perhaps there forebare the allcocks blacknight (referance there fore traditionalists) a good solid spool ,now if you look at the pictures you'll see the spindle housing /hub (not the prettiest i've seen) has a wide base & quite chunky top /centrepiece with rideheight adjuster at its centre , housing the bearings.

the reel back is of the now familier marco contessi half perforated style but with a differtent foot thats in the style of youngs centrepins mountings .with a nice crisp uni-diectional ratchet (suitable for left or right handed anglers) thers a re-positional line guard for left or right handed users or completley removable a good solid back ,now its not the lightest reel but its by no means a heavyweight ,its just this side of good and you could happily hold it for long periodes / all day and will balance quite nicley a 14/15ft float rod

the important questions

would i use this reel ....maybe not in preferance to my favourite .but for general use ,hell yes

is it suitable for barbel fishing ..yes good sold reel

is it suitable for ledgering ...yes ratchet feels crisp enough for all but the strongest flows

is it suitable for float fishing ...yes nice & freerunning with low inertia

is it stylish ,wellyes i guess ,it has the classic aerial look ,that would look at home on modern or vintage rods

is it worth the money ... hell yes this reel is worth 2-3 times its retail price

is it well built ... yes ,no loose parts or ill fitted bits and the spool is well balanced.

will it last ... well time will tell

am i happy with it ...very happy ,this reel was too ba a loaner / spare but i think its too good for that and has been elevated too my general use reel .and if i had too score it .i'd give it 8/10 ,i'll be using this reel at the weekend ,so i'll add a in use review after then.

(Ps. theres the bonus ,the box will make a nice jewellery box for the misses ,i just need to convince her matt hayes is a top jewellery designer ...result)

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender