New 'high end' centrepin from Edward Barder

Rusty

Forget it, you'd never be able to wade in those heels :D

Hunter now do wedgies apparently (not those that you got in the playground), but they might be kitten heels, I'm not down with the kids on this sort of thing. However, just a thought, a wader with a heel might just catch on the bottom (ooh err missus), and would give some grip in gravel and may also stop you slipping down the bank. You would look a right **** though.

As for the reel, it has a Hardy Conquest look about it with the addition of black paint and some brass. By that of course, I mean the old Conquest not the new one. I have an old Hardy Conquest, and with a lick of black paint, I reckon I could flog it to Rusty for £500. Don't tell him Pike - Doh!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi, don't encourage him, if he gets one, I might see it and that could be bad for my bank account!

I've taken the plunge Steve so you'd better start saving (I have :D )

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well i for one will not be spending my hard earned on bespoke beautiful yesteryear technology until i see it first hand....and then fall in love ...and then spend 2 years with Rusty saying you should have ordered when i did ......

Can i say is it here yet every time we go fishing for the next 2 years :rolleyes: ,Good on you sure it will turn a few of us Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This thread has turned into a Statler and Waldorf sketch.

"Well, it's not that good-looking","And it costs too much"......."Oh it's not that bad", "Yeah, there are parts of it I like"......"It's understated excellence! How did I not see that?", "You're right, It's brilliant! How can we ever do without one? Bravo!!"

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• 1 year later...

Time has flown by, almost two years on and my tonkin has been selected, split and is now being straightened & tempered. Still on schedule for December delivery.

• 3 months later...

Shame, it won't be here in time for Christmas but I can live with it being a couple of weeks late (it'll be a selfie birthday pressie). It's hard to believe that it's two years since I ordered the rod, I need to get out and fish more;

"Dear Chris,

Your message is timely as I was going to email you today to ask you to confirm the whippings silks you would like, as your rod is scheduled for whipping on Tuesday of next week. Below is a list of the silk colours we offer, in order of popularity, and attached are some pictures to give you a fair idea of what each option looks like.
I'm sorry I didn't call you to come and see the rod blank being made, but we have been extraordinarily busy even by our standards and beset by almost constant interruptions of one sort or another, so I took the decision to get on with it and avoid distractions.
We will be over-varnishing your rod once it has been whipped and the whippings varnished, so by the end of next week it will be almost finished and the week after, I will apply it's final coats. It will then need a good week or two to be safe to handle, as the varnish is the sort that really does require some time to cure through. Full cure takes about six months, but rods are perfectly all right to use sensibly after a fortnight.
I will contact you when we return to work (we'll be packing up at 5 pm Xmas Eve) on Monday 5th of January to arrange a time when it would suit you to collect your rod.
Best wishes,
Edward

WHIPPING SILK OPTIONS

All of the options listed below include perfectly graduated and spaced intermediate whippings. The rod prices are not affected by choice of whippings.

1. Transparent bottle green vintage Pearsall’s silk, including intermediates, with fine crimson tippings to the ring & ferrule whippings.

2. Transparent Burgundy silk for the ring, ferrule and handle whippings, with subtle old gold intermediates, as seen in the illustrations.

3. Transparent bottle green vintage Pearsall’s silk for the ring, ferrule and handle whippings, with subtle old gold intermediates.

4. Transparent Burgundy silk throughout, including intermediates.

5. Transparent chestnut brown silk throughout, including intermediates, with fine black tippings to the ring & ferrule whippings."