20 years ago (nearly)

Anderoo

Amazing that almost 20 years ago we had programmes that were actually about fishing rather than adverts for tackle and bait companies. Fancy being able to catch fish on worms and bread and without having more plugs than a bathroom store... :rolleyes:

Youtube Video ->Original Video

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Androo,

You can still catch fish that way if you wish. I'm not to keen on the boat thingy though.

The thought occured to me. Instant gratification wasn't as important (40 years ago) as it seems to be now days. I remember the enjoyment of a can of worms and a good blank. Maybe that's the clouding of an old man.

Phone

It's a shame they never managed to extend the popularity of Go Fishing into funding other angling-related projects. The audiences nowadays just don't merit the huge expense of commissioning programmes, so the only stuff on TV is the lower-budget satellite/cable stuff and YouTube productions.

John Wilson made angling 'interesting', for a while, to those who had no prior interest in angling.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I think Go Fishing was only shown on Anglia

and Meridian (Dorset area?) ITV channels - a few of the later series may

have been shown on others. A few but I dont think all have been

shown on various sat channels.

John Wilson certainly inspired myself and all of my angling buddies at the time.

I consider myself an accomplished allround angler thanks to Mr Wilson opening my eyes

all them years ago to the many species, methods, venues and baits out there.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Amazing that almost 20 years ago we had programmes that were actually about fishing rather than adverts for tackle and bait companies. Fancy being able to catch fish on worms and bread and without having more plugs than a bathroom store... :rolleyes:

Ha what a coincidence I have been trying to find his videos online all week. I watched a couple last week and I had forgotten quite how much I enjoy the Go Fishing series.

Rich

Great innit. I still fish that way. To be honest, I don't understand all the bits that are required for all the boilies and pellets. I can't remeber how to do the rigs when I get to the bank so I just stick with the running leger, or float rigs.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

i'm off work the week before christmass ,i'll try and find time to upload (to my "anglingmad" yuotube channel) jw's earliest Tv/video effort which see's him fishing with non branded gear or clothing no endorcements just fishing with good tackle and skill .its just prier i think to the Tv shows (but could be before the show moved to ch4) well i its just called "masterclass with john wilson" on dvd but it might of been called something else on vhs (i'd have to dig out both copy's to be sure) , but it has a introduction by richard walker and is in three parts chub ,pike & roach .All segments are really great ,no flannel just great fishing .

in the new year ,i'll be digitising all my fishing video collection ,too be stored on a hard drive in (HD mp4/avi/mkv formats) so i'll be picking out some of the best to upload to youtube & replacing some of the two part video clips with full versions .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

He was filming the go fishing series well into the late 90's. I was on the vauxhall comittee when he did a feature on the ouse barbel.

at felmersham. What most people didnt realise was the opening shot was on radwell bridge and all but one swim he fished was actually in Odells angling club waters not Vauxhalls waters. We didnt mind it increased the membership.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

The guy who uploaded this has several others on his channel, including the masterclass one with Dick Walker Chav mentions - worth a look :)

I've gone off old Wilson in recent years, mainly because of the whole predation thing, but he was and will always be a childhood hero. I reckon he taught me more about fishing than anyone else. One of the comments on one of the youtube videos is something like 'my dad taught me to fish, but John Wilson taught me to fish properly' - exactly right!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I too grew up watching go fishing - I believe most of them were repeated on channel 4 after being shown first in the anglia ITV region? I was living in central london at the time and am pretty sure it was on C4 I watched them. And yes he even got Mum and Dad watching angling with me!

And thinking back - Johns approach of not pushing his tackle or giving us the hard sell in his programmes may just have been more effective than the modern ram it down their throats approach to marketing and plugging gear - Just how many of us own or have owned a JW avon rod at some point :) I know I've had 4 or 5 of them over the years!

Mat

Mat