Angling Trust acts to relocate seal to protect Severn fish stocks

Anglers' Net

Guest 1lastcast

Where did I mention 'talking Dolphins, or is that just a effort to discredit ? If you have to quote, stick to what I said or in this case what I never.

Are you seriously suggesting our sport might be banned because of a few red tops sensationalism?

Do me a favour and stop cowering to the whims of the public, the public don't really give a damn about fish the seal or anglers, yesterday news,

What is important as anglers we should so some concern to the seal, It is Naive of you to think the seal can make the trip,that's why efforts are underway to catch it .... unless there is another flood of Biblical proportions again, which was how the thing got there in the first place. Not a normal set of circumstances at all, so a extraordinary effort is needed.

Naive...me? err No.

1lastcast,

You mentioned dolphins 'asking' .......as in communicating.........similar to 'talking', Maybe I should have said 'Enjoy your communicating dolphins, maybe they can explain'.

Can you explain how other seals in a similar situation have got back to the sea? Although not that common, it happens often enough not to be classed as extremely rare. Is there something unusual about that part of the Severn, or do you know if the seal has some handicap or injury?

If you think that public opinion holds no sway, then sorry, but you are naive. I have experienced restrictions, (and even bans) on waters due to public opinion. Usually on council run waters, where some spurious 'fact' has been used to show the negative impact anglers have had on the local wildlife or surroundings.

Of course the welfare of the creature is important, I've not seen anyone say otherwise, and I still say, (as do the EA, English Nature, and the RSPCA), the best thing to do is let it find it's own way back, and only intervene if it's in danger.

Oh, and the idiots should stop feeding it!

John.

You flippant remark that I perhaps should talk to the Dolphins is hardly constructive unless of course you are not being serious about the problem.

But I can say that to-day the British Divers Marine Life Rescue Service is engaged with The Angling Trust to try and resolve the problem, the experts agree that just to do nothing is not an option regarding the welfare of the Seal. They state as I have done that the weirs lock gates boats, also feeding from the public will harm the seal unless there is intervention. They plan to net the seal whilst the levels are lower, and consider this much nore Humane than to let it suffer. This of course goes against the do nothing poilcy of the EA English Nature and the RSPCA.

All in the AT has represented Angling and Anglers in a way that has been considered, and have never called for shooting of the Seal.

So there you have it, a bit of common sense, at last.

Edited by 1lastcast

As far as I'm aware, the AT was looking at several options to deal with the seal including its capture and return to the sea. The very last option was shooting it, but it's that last option that was picked up by the national press and blown out of all proportion (as is the norm with the press - who named it Keith anyway?), hence all the bad publicity.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

As far as I'm aware, the AT was looking at several options to deal with the seal including its capture and return to the sea. The very last option was shooting it, but it's that last option that was picked up by the national press and blown out of all proportion (as is the norm with the press - who named it Keith anyway?), hence all the bad publicity.

True John, but an organisation with a basic amount of media savvy/intelligence would know that!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

True John, but an organisation with a basic amount of media savvy/intelligence would know that!

True. I'm sure the Sun could turn that "Dolphin asks for help" story into a case of dolphin molesting if they wanted to, anything to sell more 'papers'.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John.

You flippant remark that I perhaps should talk to the Dolphins is hardly constructive unless of course you are not being serious about the problem.

But I can say that to-day the British Divers Marine Life Rescue Service is engaged with The Angling Trust to try and resolve the problem, the experts agree that just to do nothing is not an option regarding the welfare of the Seal. They state as I have done that the weirs lock gates boats, also feeding from the public will harm the seal unless there is intervention. They plan to net the seal whilst the levels are lower, and consider this much nore Humane than to let it suffer. This of course goes against the do nothing poilcy of the EA English Nature and the RSPCA.

All in the AT has represented Angling and Anglers in a way that has been considered, and have never called for shooting of the Seal.

So there you have it, a bit of common sense, at last.

You brought the dolphins into the thread, when you suggested that the public didn't know the difference between them and fish. Was that meant as a derogatory remark, or were you just being flippant?

I've been following the the whole sorry story, so was aware of the situation in regard to the planned attempt to capture the seal. I haven't yet read the views of "the experts", could you tell me who these experts are? I've only seen a reference to some unnamed "experts" in a report by one of the 'red tops', but as usual no specifics, so I would be interested to know who they are.

Who's said the seal is suffering, that must be something else I missed.

Regardless of any common sense that might have sprung up in today's reports, it will be the 'trigger' words, "shoot the seal" that will be remembered longer, (and be used against anglers), than any resolution to the alleged problem. You only have to look at the social network topics to see that the belief is that the campaigners have saved the seal from the 'big, bad, cruel. anglers. How the ATr manage to speak with a mouth full of feet amazes me.

You still haven't told me how you think all the other seals that strayed inland, found their way downstream.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Interestingly, Mark Barratt also thinks the AT messed this up, however he thinks it's because they didn't shoot it soon enough: http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=16684

Another fantastic ambassador for angling there, but to be fair he also thought Fish n Tips was a good idea.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Interestingly, Mark Barratt also thinks the AT messed this up, however he thinks it's because they didn't shoot it soon enough: http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=16684

Another fantastic ambassador for angling there, but to be fair he also thought Fish n Tips was a good idea.

Pardon my French but what a tw*t! Not only can't he catch fish but he can't tell the difference between a common seal and a grey seal...oh well, the fat git probably can't move quickly enough to strike a bite...

I haven't bothered posting on here much recently, as it seems that nearly everybody is in accord :clap3:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Given where this has gone, I think that the AT needs to just STFU for a while and leave the damned seal alone.

As said, it will find it's own way out of the river eventually and ANY intervention carries risks of the seal drowning in a net, getting involved in a road acident while being transported or of simply getting stressed and dying.

In fact any outcome other than a perfectly happy seal swimming off into a sunset is going to make things worse.

This section of river is on my doorstep and I fish the waters immediately above and below Bewdley regularly. I'd rather see the seal as a permanent resident than have the idiots at the AT damage angling any further.

I await the resignations with baited breath but no great sense of expectation.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest 1lastcast

Probably best not to dig such hot head remarks and post them up on here then?