Carp methods and catch rates

itsmrb

Hi all

When it comes to carp fishing I'm seeing a wide variety of methods but not much by way of catch comparisons. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a straight lead on the bottom is the most popular method. I was wondering though how this compares to the catch rates for say the method feeder, other types of feeder and perhaps a tactic like the pellet waggler. In other words, which method would typically on an average water catch the most fish. It terms of enjoyment, what is also the most fun!

Thanks

its,

The only "sane" answer would have to come from a "side by side". And even then, answers may vary and change. A simple running rig is far and away the most common (worldwide), thus the most successful. There is no way to "average" an answer. There is an answer to the last part of your post which will always be a personal choice. Personal choice brings you full circle to your first question. No doubt about it, the rig you have in the water is likely to catch the most fish. For me - - - - - Freelining. Some guys wouldn't bother fishing if they couldn't "participate" by using all the "stuff" that's available. So, "fun" becomes debatable also doesn't it?

Phone

Edit: dictionary.fsh - see "fun" (wot the 'ell is a centrepin?)

Edited by Phone

It'll very much depend on the water. For instance what works well on a typical commercial day ticket water that's artificially overstocked (which means just about all of them) is much less likely to work on a gravel pit with a natural stocking density.

Then it would depend on the swim, on the weather conditions, and a host of other factors.

So rather than starting with the method, I feel it's better to do it the other way round and work it out backwards.

For me, that means learning about the habits of the fish, how the weather affects the water and therefore the fish, and so on. This will then lead you to the most successful methods for a particular water. You won't always be right (I'm certainly not), but the more experience you get the more often you'll be right. And even when you don't catch you'll have learned something, especially if you compare methods side by side as Phone has suggested.

Most of all though, the more you think about your fishing rather than slavishly copying the latest magazine article, the more you'll catch.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Impossible to say which method is "best" as the answer is liable to change each time you go fishing.

However, the single method that I have most confidence in and would probably try first on a lot of waters would be the method feeder.

I just feel more confident having some feed in the proximity of my hookbait.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

On specimen carp waters I would say the straight lead in conjunction with a safty clip as most anglers will be fishing multiple rods. But its not that simple as some will use stringers, some pva with pellet, some zig rigs, some stick mix - would you still class it as a straight lead with these attachments?

On commercials I suspect the method is the biggest catcher most of the year as it is so simple to catch fish with that most anglers will use it.

From experiance I know that the going method or bait can change overnight due mainly to weather conditions (wind direction, air pressure, temp, the sun being out) and other factors. Like Steve said its best to learn the water and its moods.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

If there was 1 best method we would all be doing it and the sport would need to change its name to catching - ----

There is only one thing that will enhance your enjoyment in angling Watercraft. The more you learn the better you will be, don't just look ---SEE ! and learn.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

its,

See, I told you no one would suggest a center pin.

I will say this. If snagging with an unbaited hook is legal where you're fishing then a "hair" rig is by F A R the most efficient. I'm not sold on a bolt rig yet.

Phone

its,

I will say this. If snagging with an unbaited hook is legal where you're fishing then a "hair" rig is by F A R the most efficient. I'm not sold on a bolt rig yet.

Phone

I like the cut of your jib young man....never was a fan of hair-rigs...dubious as to their legality in the UK in my opinion...

Oh, the only crap I have caught (up to about 8lb) have been with a 'pin...and a cane rod using floating crust in the margins....o.k for a laugh...and made the twelve rods, camo bivvy slipper brigade look a bit sick sitting there catching nothing having cast 600 yds with 12lb of lead...like Steve said, watercraft :icecream:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

its,

I wouldn't suggest a centre pin, cos I don't care how others fish and I'm not interested in influencing them, but I always use a centre pin for carp fishing the margins.

In fact I probably use them for about 75-80% of my fishing, the main exception being roving for chub in the wintertime.