Undertow

RUDD

Having read the article on slider float fishing ( http://www.matchangler.com/infopêche/indepth/370-sliding-across-frontiers.html ) and my reply on a thread about pop up weights:

BUT also keep in mind that there may be undertow (sometimes very severe depending on venue, peg and wind conditions) that could cause the rig/bait to get dragged round off the lead at an angle - in a case like this I would use a flat lead with a fluro carbon or stiff link off the swivel, a shot just before link swivel, then a short rig tied direct to that swivel.

I feel this rig would roll around with the tow much more cleanly than a lump of putty and hopefully not tangle due to the two swivels and stiff material used.

I was wondering how many anglers take into account any undertow they may be facing?

Groundbait, light baits and expander pellets could get dragged a fair distance from the area being feed, wind going one way and a tow the other may cause too light a pole float to get dragged with the wind - therefore hookbait going the wrong way.

A pole rig plumbed so just touching bottom may be an inch or two off the bottom due to surface drag and tow on the bottom acting against each other (hence why laying on works very well to keep a bit on the deck).

As my quote - how many carp/speci anglers fishing pop ups have ever taken undertow into consideration? How many rigs have tangled due to tow?

The slider article shows that the slider outfished a swim feeder approach as the swim feeder bait would have been almost static whilst the slider fished bait would have been moving.

Any other thoughts on undertow? I suspect alot of anglers do not ever take it into account and sit there thinking fish are not feeding when they actually are.

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

On the Missouri River, and most of our large rivers, undertow is a major consideration. The Missouri River flows, on average, at 5.6 mph with a flow rate of about 25,000 cu f/s.

Tangled rigs are common. Whirlpools can be fatal should a person get caught up in one whilst in the water.

Even on large "still water" venues where a hydro electric dam creates the lake in the first place the release of water from the dam causes major undertow In may instances there is a hydro electric dam on both ends of the lake making the water slosh to and fro although it is not precieved whilst angling it certainly affects/effects the bait presentation. In my "favorite" lake the dams are 92 miles apart.

I think this undertow is probably one of the reasons we use MUCH heavier everything. It is simply a must on some venues.

Phone

Hi Rudd

I like you suspect many anglers do not take it into account.

I for one take it very seriously. Having been brought up through match and pleasure fishing that I took very seriously I soon learn't about tow. I have carried that into my specimen fishing with me.

The tow on some of the big waters around us such as Alton Ardleigh or the ocean pit can be huge and what with depths of up to 40ft feeding and fishing in the same spot is extremely difficult.

As you know even on a small water pole fishing where you try to keep everything tight in the winter you do not fish directly under your pole pot in windy conditions.

This is a good subject.

I know people will say its been talked of before but I think all the proper angling subjects are best brought up every now and again to get fresh idea's and new knowledge from both old and new members.

John

Rather than try to hold a 'still' bait, I often trot with the flow. Bulk shot well down to catch the under tow, Wind blowing 'upstream', perfect trotting conditions. Some fish don't seem to like battling the undertow, but roach don't seem to mind.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Rather than try to hold a 'still' bait, I often trot with the flow. Bulk shot well down to catch the under tow, Wind blowing 'upstream', perfect trotting conditions. Some fish don't seem to like battling the undertow, but roach don't seem to mind.

John.

I think reading the speed of the undertow at different depths on a stillwater is much harder than doing so on a river. Certainly a job for the right float and proper shotting patterns. Also bearing in mind when trotting a river it can be calm wind conditions but on a still water to get these conditions there will be a wind.

Very often the top layer of water will be going at say 2mph one way and the tow can be 4mph the other.

John

Used to be one of my pet subjects, I have been saying for years,that if you can get to understand the effect of 'tow on a stillwater, you are well on your way to finding fish. I do believe that fish, especially big ones, or bream shaped ones, get moved by 'tow, unless they fight it.

I did quite a long piece on one of the Wingham threads, describing how leaves and surface dust, can end up in a certain spot, usually where the 'tow loses momentum. At the exMKF "Mill" due to the shape there were several 'tows working at once, and you could see where they met as the wave pattern changed.

Fascinating subject...........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark,

It is indeed one of the most difficult parts to watercraft. On a couple venues where spring currents coupled with surface created undertow we used to use Alka Seltzer to track the intersection off a point. It works.

Phone

Well done Rudd a proper fishing topic.

I do worry about undertow a lot when fishing especially when fishing deep water. I try to take in to consideration what is going on when baiting. It can be devillishly difficult to get ground baiting right when you suspect tow could be effecting your feed. A few times when fishing multiple rods I have noticed that the rod I suspect is on the money may well be outside my baited area and the rod that I thought was 2 metres outside my baited spot is likely to be on the bait and that's the one that gets the bites. For this reason it can be tempting to use a heavy mix to get it down quickly but even then will it stay in place or will tow drag it along the bottom.

It certainly is something I wish I understood more about or could read with more consitantancy. I do struggle to get it right on many occasions but agree with Den if you can work out what is going on it should put you on the fish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Very often the top layer of water will be going at say 2mph one way and the tow can be 4mph the other.

John

I'm finding that very hard to visualise without imagining all the water ending up on one side of the lake! I generally assume that is the surface layer is moving 2mph one way, that the much deeper layer under the surface must be moving in the opposite direction at a slower speed as there is more water moving back the other way.

Mat

Mat

I'm finding that very hard to visualise without imagining all the water ending up on one side of the lake! I generally assume that is the surface layer is moving 2mph one way, that the much deeper layer under the surface must be moving in the opposite direction at a slower speed as there is more water moving back the other way.

Mat

Hi Matt

I see your point but its the bank and the depth changes as the water aproaches it that changes things.

If the wind is blowing into a bay the top layer is being funnelled in and therefore increasing its speed beyond where you are fishing. It comes out pretty fast.

The shape of the bank the shape of the bottom, bottom features etc make a huge difference. For instance behind a bar or any rise in the bottom you can have an area just like a slack in a river.

The hardest part as always is knowing what the speed of the water is where you want to present a bait. If your bait is travelling at a different speed your chance of a bite is less. Obviously thats for float fishing.

Like Dales I have often fished a big water with 3 rods at distance into 20ft plus. You bait the area spodding or catapulting with marker float out. You fish clipped up and within your baited area and find either the left or right rod gets all the action. On those occasions I have generally shifted my line and find all rods then behave. Sometimes it is not the direction you expect.

For this reason in warm conditions fishing deep and at distance I now use a method feeder. I can at least be sure something is near the hook. Also not all the fish sit over the baited area some roam around the main shoal and often they are the bigger ones so I do not torture myself too much about being bang on the feed. I don't believe in that sort of fishing to have the feed in a small area anyway.

A small area is probably better in match circumstances in that sort of fishing but if you bait too close and are not on it you might not catch at all. If your bait is spread they will roam around and eventually cover your feed area. Also less chance of spooking them when spread.

When you start thinking of the tow and then chuck in the temperature affect wind chill or warming depending on air and water temp then your head starts to think its easier to understand women. :wallbash:

john