What might this thing be then ? [pics]

Andy_1984

Have any of you who think that this could be used to melt copper ever witnessed a copper foundry in action?

A good point but, but I suggest mass production at a foundry would be using ingots. If it's just scrap copper wire for example a blowlamp is suitable apparently...http://www.highettmetal.com.au/blog/copper/how-to-melt-copper-wire.

What form did the melted plastic take?

Was there any stripped sheathing nearby? Or even old electric motors/armatures?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have worked casting aluminium. That takes 660 C. That means a BLAST furnace and we used ceramic pots to melt the aluminium in.

Copper needs 1000+ and a ideally a ceramic crucible at 1,000C + that steel pan would be starting to have a constituency of toffee. Even if you could get a pan of that size up to 1,000 C in the open, you would not be able to get anywhere near it.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've melted copper wire with an oxy acetylene/propane torch many times. The problem is getting it to run. If you are just trying to get it into a hard to identify lump, then there is no problem. The plastic will practically vapourise and you're left with a 'blob' of metal. The bricks will protect the (what looks like 3 or 4 mm) plate, from the excessive heat. As for lead, or even (to an extent) alumimium it's much easier. When learning to weld Aluminium, I often had 'blobs' run off the bench, one even down my boot. Stll got the scar.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's still the three spouts at different levels that's throwing me..unless it was just crap fabrication..unlikely though given the attention to detail of the rest of it. If I was melting lead in the field I'd just use an old saucepan!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

All,

Maybe we are just being paranoid. If you had a grate for the thin metal bottom it could be for charcoal cooking and warmth alone. The fire brick is pretty refractive. The tilt and funnels, while overdone a bit may just be for cleaning out ashes. Notice the rod across the top is a bit out of shape. And, some clays hold heat long enough to warm a sleeping bag most of the night (especially wet clay). Just hang your teapot and relax. It's nothing. They just used what they had about.

Or maybe not?

Phone

You are not going to melt enough copper to fill that pan with a propane torch John. With th greatest respect you are arguing from Ignorance. You have not seen copper being cast. Neither have I. But I have cast aluminium and I can imagine what problems that extra 400C is going to cause. If that pan was anywhere near 1,000C you wold not be able to get close enough to it to lift that handle.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

You are not going to melt enough copper to fill that pan with a propane torch John. With th greatest respect you are arguing from Ignorance. You have not seen copper being cast. Neither have I. But I have cast aluminium and I can imagine what problems that extra 400C is going to cause. If that pan was anywhere near 1,000C you wold not be able to get close enough to it to lift that handle.

Who said anything about "filling" the pan Cory. or the pan getting to 1000C. I said (maybe in ignorance) that I have melted copper wire from it's wire state, into 'blobs'. I'm not talking about casting an ingot. If it's melted down, then it is easier to carry, takes up less space, and easier concealed. I said the problem is getting it to run, which it would have to do to be poured into moulds. I have been in a steel foundry, and in the rolling mills where I have watched steel being formed into its various shapes, RSC, RSJ, RSA, UB, Plate etc, so I do have some slight knowlege of metal forming. This is as well as many years in the fabrication industry, making structures, hoppers, tanks and pipes, from various metals, both ferrous and non ferrous and then welding them.

Please don't read into my posts, things that aren't there.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

You implied that you could melt copper in it.

I know a way you could get molten copper into that, though whether it would stay in it and whether you would want to be anywhere near it at the time is another matter.

(hint - it's similar to how people generate molten iron in situ, though somewhat more energetic and dangerous)

• Like 1

You implied that you could melt copper in it.

I still say I can melt copper wire in it, but not a "pan full", or pour ingots. Just into smaller more managable pieces.

John.

Edited by gozzer